Before I start my specs:

My motherboard:

ASRock > Products > K7VT4-4X

-AMD Athlon XP 1900+
-300GB Harddrive
-Radeon 9000 128mb
-RAM was 2x512mb PC3200 DDR400 (2Gb max)
-Bios V1.80 (up to date)
-WinXP home SP3

-----------------------------

Ok recently bought 2x1Gb sticks of ram to upgrade my PC. I bought PC2700 1GB DDR CL2.5 Samsung DIMM RAM non-eec for Home computers.Chips have...

Samsung K4H510838B-TCB3 written on them

Stickers and CPU-Z have: M368L2923BTNCB3

CPU-Z says= buffered: no, registered: no

I've tested both sticks seperately and together using memtest they are A-ok no problem passes.

----------------------------------------------

Trouble is when I put both sticks in, the computer will not boot, it simply gets to a load screen (note: not the windows load screen) and then blacks out and reboots in circles. I can get into BIOS however and run memtest.

Sometimes I get a message that WINDOWS\System32\config\SYSTEM is missing or corrupted, that I should reboot the Windows installation cd and press 'r' for repair. When I try to do this, the Windows cd blue installation screen loads up and when it gets to the point where it says Windows is starting up it I get a BSOD.

One BSOD had the following:

BAD_POOL_CALLER 0x000000C2 0x00000007 0x00000CD4 0xF78D20DC

Please note: when I pull out either of the 1gb RAM sticks the computer works with no problem, only as soon as I put in both sticks does it refuse to load up and claims there is a file corrupted or missing.

-------------------------------------

What I've done so far:

1) Tried setting CL to 2.5 and RAM speed to 166Mhz in BIOS. I'm afraid no difference with both sticks in, removed a stick changed settings back to Auto.

2) Rresh install of Windows XP via the repair method. Problem still persists

Any help would be really appreciated as I'm at a loose end with this and have spent days trying to sort it. Thanks

P.S. This is on another forum but they appear unable to help me there.

Mystery of the failing RAM upgrade. - Tech Support Forum