Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: H67M-ITX Wake on LAN

Default H67M-ITX Wake on LAN

In the product literature, it is stated that this motherboard supports Wake on LAN. I've been through the BIOS time and again trying to figure out how to enable this, but I'm not having any luck.

I was hoping to be able to let the computer (an HTPC) enter sleep mode after a time, and then allow it to wake up by attempts to create remote connections via other PCs on my network (or from the internet). I can do either of these while the computer is running at full power, yet when it sleeps, it no longer responds to anything other than local keyboard/mouse input. Nor will attempts to access network shares on it cause it to wake up, or pings from other PCs on the network, etc. I'm thinking that WoL just isn't enabled at all.

When my HTPC is running at full power, the light on my router is green. When it is sleeping, the light is orange. This tells me that LAN is still at least active on the adapter.

Thoughts? Is this possible, or have I misunderstood what WoL is capable of?

Default Re: H67M-ITX Wake on LAN

Dear disord3r,

If you want to use "Wake on lan" function, please kindly adjust the option of "PCI Devices Power On" to [Enabled] under BIOS to try.
    ( BIOS/ Advanced/ ACPI Configuration/ PCI Devices Power On )

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD

I found the option in BIOS, enabled it, rebooted, and let my computer eventually go back to sleep. When I attempt to connect to my computer in the sleep state, I still get no response from it. I can see the port on my router flickering as data is sent to it, but the computer doesn't actually wake up. The computer is responding to pings while it's sleeping - I don't recall it doing that before - but it just doesn't wake up.

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by disord3r; 05-07-2011 at 04:03 AM.

I sat down and read a bit about Wake on LAN and how it works under the hood, and I found that I wasn't even doing it right. Wake on LAN is definitely on, and it had not been before, so the pointer to the BIOS setting was definitely the first step, and I thank you for that information.

For anyone who cares, it is only a very special type of traffic that the network adapter will "hear" that causes the computer to wake up. It's called a "magic packet", and without broadcasting that very mysterious bit of traffic over the wire, the computer isn't ever going to wake up. I downloaded a small program onto two PCs on my network (one, the asrock, two, a random PC on my network) and configured it such that the asrock was the "listener" and the other PC was the generator. Once I was able to verify that the asrock could hear the other PC generating the magic packet, I then started putting the asrock into various states of sleep to see from which states it could be awakened. It will wake from sleep, hibernate, and even being "off" altogether. The network adapter on the motherboard is on even when the computer's power is off (hence, the amber light on my router) so it's listening all the time.

From here, I just have to troubleshoot why my stupid router is not properly forwarding the magic packet to the asrock over the internet, but I'm much further along that I used to be. I guess this issue can be considered closed, as it will work perfectly fine from the LAN.

Taking this a step further, I decided to reconfigure my network slightly to see where the failure was occurring. Instead of plugging my asrock into my Netgear WRT624 router, I decided to run the asrock directly into my cable modem. The cable modem actually has a switch built in, so my asrock is now a sibling of the router (rather than being a child of the router) and it has its own static IP now.

No problems getting the asrock to wake up from across the internet. I put it to sleep and sent the magic packet out from dslreports.com/wakeup via my iphone, and it was awake in about 3 seconds. So the issue is not with my ISP having problems getting the magic packet to my Netgear, as I initially suspected - it's my bloody Netgear router that's standing in the way. When the asrock was behind the router, I did try setting its IP address as the default DMZ, but it still wasn't working. As far as I can tell, the Netgear quietly ignores these magic packets.

The asrock being wired live to the net with a static IP is not a desirable scenario as far as I'm concerned. It's now cut off from the rest of the home network due to being out from behind the Netgear where the rest of my network exists, and I wonder what the additional exposure means in terms of system security. I think the course of action here is to purchase/install something like DD-WRT or Tomato on my Netgear router, as currently the Netgear is little more than a black box.

Thanks for the post, this helped me enable wake on lan. This setting worked for me "BIOS/ Advanced/ ACPI Configuration/ PCI Devices Power On"

If you do install dd-wrt it's very easy to use wake on lan. here's a screenshot of how I do it. my HTPC is using this motherboard and I use wake on lan from my router administration page. I haven't tried to use WOL from outside my local lan, not sure what kind of port forwarding I'd have to do.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have v3 of this model of netgear router, and only v1, v2 and v4 support DD-WRT. So it looks like I'll be buying something soon.

:/

Thread Information