Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Newb: Where do I plug my tower case's "1394 Firewire" connector in my ASRock mobo?

Default Newb: Where do I plug my tower case's "1394 Firewire" connector in my ASRock mobo?

I have the ASRock M3A770DE motherboard...

My case has one obvious "USB" connector dangling inside, but also a "1394" connector.

The 1394 connector looks EXACTLY like the USB connector. But the motherboard manual doesn't label any of the three USB headers as "1394" or "firewire" so I don't know where I can safely plug it.

Thanks

Other newb questions:

* What is a "dummy", "GND," and "LED" on connector/header diagrams?
    *How do positive and negative matter in these diagrams? Like, in general, when plugging things into each other...link positive with negative or what?
    Last edited by Addictress; 05-19-2011 at 02:41 PM.

Default Re: Newb: Where do I plug my tower case's "1394 Firewire" connector in my ASRock mobo

there is no support for "1394" or "firewire" to this mobo as far as i can see!

ASRock > Products > M3A770DE

Default Re: Newb: Where do I plug my tower case's "1394 Firewire" connector in my ASRock mobo

I can't really say about the dummy pin. My board has the same thing. Why put a pin there at all if will serve no specific purpose? Very strange.

GND is an electrical grounding point. Some functions work not by merely completing a circuit, as you might expect, but by connecting to a ground. I think the switches probably work this way - make a connection to ground, then the system knows the button has been pressed and it does whatever it's supposed to do.

LED is the power light, hard drive activity light, or any other light. I'm pretty sure the +/- connections for that don't really matter, so long as the circuit is completed. If you swap the positive and negative, the circuit is still completed. I guess it's possible though that some LEDs may prefer to have the current flow in a specific direction, meaning that you really should connect the positive to the + and the negative to the -. But from your motherboard's perspective, it shouldn't matter. The worst that will happen by connecting them wrong is there might be a diode inline with the LED that prevents the current from flowing at all due to it being reversed, and the LED just won't work.

Thread Information