Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Installed RAM 4GB, usable RAM 3.25GB - ALiveXFire-eSATA2

Default Installed RAM 4GB, usable RAM 3.25GB - ALiveXFire-eSATA2

BIOS and Windows detects 4096MB RAM, but Windows reports only 3.25GB as usable. What's going on?

There is no onboard video on this MoBo that should hog up the memory. Prior to installing this MoBo, Windows 7 reported correctly 4GB usable RAM.

Config:

AsRock ALiveXFire-eSATA2 (ASRock > Products > ALiveXFire-eSATA2 R3.0)
    BIOS: AMI 4.0 (newest AsRock flash image as of today's date)
    Athlon 64 e5050 Dual Core
    4096MB PC6400 DDR2 RAM (Patriot 2x2GB, found on AsRock's supported list, seated in slot 1 and 2 on Mobo)
    Single ATI Radeon HD3850 512MB DDR
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Misc:

Memory hole remapping enabled in BIOS

Are there any other BIOS settings that would stop Windows from wasting RAM? :)

Default Re: Installed RAM 4GB, usable RAM 3.25GB - ALiveXFire-eSATA2

Hello:
    Have you sorted out your problem? I have 4 GB installed and the system says only 2,73 GB is useable. Not only that, the memory only rates 5.5 on Windows Experience Index. My five year old computer with plain old DDR had a higher memory performance factor. I don't know what to tweak, everything's on automatic. I thought there was an AS Rock technician on this forum...

Quote Originally Posted by gordoncanada View Post
    Hello:
    Have you sorted out your problem? I have 4 GB installed and the system says only 2,73 GB is useable. Not only that, the memory only rates 5.5 on Windows Experience Index. My five year old computer with plain old DDR had a higher memory performance factor. I don't know what to tweak, everything's on automatic. I thought there was an AS Rock technician on this forum...
    You need to enable the Memory Remap Feature or similar from BIOS to get 4GB+ and of course a 64bit OS.

Angry Re: Installed RAM 4GB, usable RAM 3.25GB - ALiveXFire-eSATA2

Actually, the only way to fix this is to enable memory hole remapping. Unfortunately, this interferes with the function of the sound card (which is also built into the MoBo).

So I just sucked it up, bought another 4GB of ram, so now I have a "happy" 7.25GB. :)

Quote Originally Posted by tomkyn View Post
    Actually, the only way to fix this is to enable memory hole remapping. Unfortunately, this interferes with the function of the sound card (which is also built into the MoBo).

So I just sucked it up, bought another 4GB of ram, so now I have a "happy" 7.25GB. :)
    Interfere in what way?

Thread Information