Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock z68 Pro3-M

Default ASRock z68 Pro3-M

Hello all,
    It's a shame my first post has to be one of problems, but so it goes.

A few days ago, I received and set up my new:

• ASRock Z68 Pro3-m with
    • i5 2500k,
    • CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ cooler,
    • GSkill DDR3 1600, RAM,
    • An existing Rosewill RV2-700 700w power supply that worked great on my previous Athlon X4 955 overclocked system

The build went great and all connections were double and triple checked.

Upon starting up the box, it ran for 2 seconds, shut off, came back on and ran for 5 minutes where it again shut off and immediately started back up. I managed to get a Windows 7 installation completed, with about 50 minutes of uptime on a subsequent try. Shut off and turned back on during some generic program install.

I got drivers installed and got about 3 hours of uptime before going to bed. Upon coming back, I was greeted with a password prompt. A sign that it had shut off and turned back on. (I had updates turned off, so I know it's not windows).

I ran Memtest x86 extensively to check for ram problems. All tests completed successfully. Shut-offs and restarts have continued to get more spread out, but they're still happening. Sometimes while I'm surfing the web, sometimes while installing software, sometimes while just sitting at my desk reading.

I've even successfully run a bout of Prime 95 tests (for about 3 hours) with great thermal results (topping out at 45c).

All of the above has lead me to problems with either the motherboard or the CPU, but based on the success of Prime 95, I'm doubting the latter.

Is it possible that my new Z68 motherboard is defective? It's important to note, I'm not overclocking this system, nor have I, though I was planning to, of course.

Please advise. I'd hate to go through an RMA process but I don't want to put up with a malfunctioning system.

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: ASRock z68 Pro3-M

Curious development. It seems that if I shut down the PC entirely (PSU is still "on"), the system will lag about 5 to 10 seconds in starting up when turned on. Then progress for the 2 seconds. Then shut off. Then start back up successfully.

The lag is what's particularly odd. What would cause the system to not start when the switch is pushed to on and then start 5 to 10 seconds later only to then fail?

Default Re: ASRock z68 Pro3-M

Hi, are you still having this problem?

Thread Information