Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: error code 71 at asrock 890gx extreme 4 rev 2.0

Question error code 71 at asrock 890gx extreme 4 rev 2.0

Hi guys,
    yesterday i purchased an asrock 890gx extreme 4 rev 2.0 motherboard to replace my broken motherboard..after i finish built it,i tried to boot it.but its always stop and restart some time at 4d debug code and other time at 71.
    what thats error codes mean? and how to countermeasure them?

this my spec(except motherboard)
    AMD955BE
    OCZ Reaper PC12800 CL6 4gbkit
    WDC black 500GB sata 3
    Cougar GX 700watt

since i only have an IDE DVD drive,so i can't connected it at my new motherboard.

to ensure other parts are ok,after i failed to boot my new mother board, i built again my old motherboard (DFI lanparty 790FX m3h5) with same part.and it boot,i can enter the bios but i can boot to windows because of debug code 96 (bios chipset broken),the suspect that caused my old motherboard broke.

i'm not sure my new motherboard can't boot because i don't have sata DVD drive,because from information i get 71 debug code is about FDD,ROM Drive and other drive.before i decide to purchase this sata ROM drive,i want to ensure that first.

may i have help from you guys?

sorry my english bad..

Default Re: error code 71 at asrock 890gx extreme 4 rev 2.0

According to your manual, code 71 and 72 are south-bridge related.
    I suggest general troubleshooting steps:

1. (Please bother to) Put the MB out of the case;
    2. Remove all add-on cards, as well as HARD, CD/DVD, USB disks and their cables;
    3. Insert only one memory module in a white slot;
    If you can enter BIOS setup:
    4. Load setup defaults (not performance ones)
    5. Disable the on-board devices as much as possible, e.g. Sound, USB, LAN, SATA,...
    If you cannot enter BIOS setup, do a CMOS-clear (by jumper or button) and do the previous step.
    6. Check If it reaches to boot step or not. I mean the final step in which it must return an error like "There is no boot device"
    7. If previous step was OK, restore things step by step to see what makes problem, if not, try to change memory, then the MB itself! -or- come back here to get more advices.

Bahram Alinezhad,
    Rudehen, Tehran, Iran.

i have done almost all from the list you mention...i check it from only mobo+CPU,Mobo+CPU+Memory, and soon.

the latest update is..it debug code reach B2 then recycle...

i decided to RMA this motherboard yesterday. i hope the replacement doesn't experience the same error

Hope too :-)

Thread Information