Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock Z68 Pro 3 System Panel Header Computer Reset Documentation Error?

Question Asrock Z68 Pro 3 System Panel Header Computer Reset Documentation Error?

On page 25 of the Quick Installation Guide for Asrock Z68 Pro 3 in the section System Panel Header the ground for the computer reset is next to the hd led ground. Is this correct because all the other attachments to the System Panel Header are positive followed by negatives? Is the installation guide correct or are the reset and ground pins reversed?

My case fans are three pin fans that go into a molex connectors. Should I remove the molex connector and connect the fan directly to the motherboard? I am pretty sure the answer to this is yes but since this is my build I want first to be sure.

kick is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Asrock Z68 Pro 3 System Panel Header Computer Reset Documentation Error?

Quote Originally Posted by davemartin50 View Post
    On page 25 of the Quick Installation Guide for Asrock Z68 Pro 3 in the section System Panel Header the ground for the computer reset is next to the hd led ground. Is this correct because all the other attachments to the System Panel Header are positive followed by negatives? Is the installation guide correct or are the reset and ground pins reversed?
    I cant guarantee the installation guide is correct for your mbrd ,without going to the trouble of dloading the pdf version from the asrock site.(hint if you are that worried about it).
    All I can tell you is for my mbrd the hdd led - and reset gnd pins are adjacent to each other on the sys panel header of my mbrd.
    As a rough guide ,numbering the pins1-4 along the bottom row from l-r .1=hdd+,2=hdd-,3=gnd,4=reset.

A tip I remember seeing a long time ago is generally, connect the leads with writing on them facing the direction that the writing is on the mbrd.ie if pwr is written above 2 pins on the header the the connector with pwr written on it should have the writing facing up.If you buy a really cheap case ,as I have and get no writing at all on the leads or rebuilding older pcs ,its more difficult and lead colouring seems to work on which is the nicest rainbow colour system !.

Quote Originally Posted by davemartin50 View Post
    My case fans are three pin fans that go into a molex connectors. Should I remove the molex connector and connect the fan directly to the motherboard? I am pretty sure the answer to this is yes but since this is my build I want first to be sure.
    In general yes your case fan(s) should be connected to the motherboard fan connector headers as you will have more control over their speed.
    It seems strange your 3 lead fans have full size molex connectors.Perhaps the molex connectors are just adapters.If so the connectors will only have 2 operating leads the 12v+ and grnd and you wont be able to vary the fan speed.

Reasons why you would want to use the molex connectors:
    1. You have a heavy duty fan (like a 2.2amp one i rescued from an old dell machine)and dont want to overload the mbrd 12v psu rail.
    2.You have a cheap older mbrd which doesnt have many fan headers(not your problem)
    3.You run an auxillary psu and possibly want to put some of the fan load on to that .
    4. I use a molex connector for one of my fans(a 2 lead pcislot extractor fan) to run it off the 5v power supply.
    The reason is noise: by inverting the molex connection,ie forcing the sharp corners of the plug into the round corners of the socket the fan works off +5v and runs at less than half speed.
    Of course its less efficient but it still extracts warm air and noise isnt a factor.
    Last edited by kick; 06-04-2011 at 04:08 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Red face Re: Asrock Z68 Pro 3 System Panel Header Computer Reset Documentation Error?

Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post
    I cant guarantee the installation guide is correct for your mbrd ,without going to the trouble of dloading the pdf version from the asrock site.(hint if you are that worried about it).
    All I can tell you is for my mbrd the hdd led - and reset gnd pins are adjacent to each other on the sys panel header of my mbrd.
    As a rough guide ,numbering the pins1-4 along the bottom row from l-r .1=hdd+,2=hdd-,3=gnd,4=reset.

In general yes your case fan(s) should be connected to the motherboard fan connector headers as you will have more control over their speed.
    It seems strange your 3 lead fans have full size molex connectors.Perhaps the molex connectors are just adapters.If so the connectors will only have 2 operating leads the 12v+ and grnd and you wont be able to vary the fan speed.

Reasons why you would want to use the molex connectors:
    1. You have a heavy duty fan (like a 2.2amp one i rescued from an old dell machine)and dont want to overload the mbrd 12v psu rail.
    2.You have a cheap older mbrd which doesnt have many fan headers(not your problem)
    3.You run an auxillary psu and possibly want to put some of the fan load on to that .
    4. I use a molex connector for one of my fans(a 2 lead pcislot extractor fan) to run it off the 5v power supply.
    The reason is noise: by inverting the molex connection,ie forcing the sharp corners of the plug into the round corners of the socket the fan works off +5v and runs at less than half speed.
    Of course its less efficient but it still extracts warm air and noise isnt a factor.

Kick thanks for the reply. I have a new Z68 Pro3 MB with the documentation. I thought there might be an error in the documentation but your MB uses the same pin layout. I have also come to believe that there might not be a plus or neg for the reset switch. I will wire it up per my documentation.

My new Cooler Master Advanced RC-692 case fans are all 3 pin that go into molex adapters. I got a email back from ASRock technical saying to use the molex connectors but I think they are wrong because I have 4 or 5 fan connectors on my MB plus software to manage the fan speed. Thanks again for your help.<TABLE style="WIDTH: 236pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=314 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 236pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 11483" width=314><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15.75pt" height=21><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: #ebe9ed; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: #ebe9ed; WIDTH: 236pt; HEIGHT: 15.75pt; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: #ebe9ed; BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: #ebe9ed" class=xl24 height=21 width=314 x:str="Cooler Master Advanced RC-692-KKN2 "></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Thread Information