Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z68 w/ hardware RAID 10 - HDD spins up frequently and temporarily hangs quite often

Default Z68 w/ hardware RAID 10 - HDD spins up frequently and temporarily hangs quite often

I am experiencing frequent spin-ups by my HDD along with temporary hangs while accessing anything on my RAID 10 drive. This is my first time messing with RAID so I'm not sure what to expect or how to troubleshoot it. It certainly seems much slower than using a single drive.

C: is an OCZ Agility3 120GB with the OS on it.
    D: is the RAID.

~ I setup (4) Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB HDDs in RAID 10 on ASRock Z68 Extreme 4.
    ~ Windows 7 64 - windows update completed.
    ~ I have installed all of the ASRock utilities/updates on the disk included with the MB.
    ~ I have not installed any updates from the ASRock site yet.
    ~ I enabled the disk write cache and it didn't appear to make any difference.
    ~ I did not perform the floppy drive disk procedure. I do not have a floppy drive.
    ~ I cannot identify which HDD is actually doing the spinning up or if it is multiple drives.

Let me know if I'm missing some information that would help figure this out.

Thanks
    Last edited by floatingadrift; 06-06-2011 at 06:39 AM.

Default Re: Z68 w/ hardware RAID 10 - HDD spins up frequently and temporarily hangs quite oft

In power management try to disabling HDD going into sleep mode after certain amount of time.

Default Re: Z68 w/ hardware RAID 10 - HDD spins up frequently and temporarily hangs quite oft

Maybe this will help you also. I am sure it will. It is a compatibility fix for AMD SB850 and Intel P67/H67 (which in terms of SATA controller are the same in Z68). Give it a try mate.

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...bbs_msg_id=308

I have updated firmware (addressing another issue) on my 2TB F4EG and it worked without problem.
    Last edited by radier; 06-07-2011 at 02:31 AM.

If you are using the same F3 Samsung HDD go ahead and update their firmware.

Thanks for the info Radier -

I'm still trying to make a working bootable USB drive.

When doing the firmware update on the 4 drives, do they need to be on a particular port? The F/W update instructions mention placing the drives on the master port but I thought SATA drives no longer use the master/slave system?

Once I've booted to DOS, the instructions say to run 'Patch' - do they mean to run the 'F3' file from the USB drive? The instructions are in engrish.

Just boot with USB and then type F3.exe
    Last edited by radier; 06-08-2011 at 06:21 PM.

That fixed it - thank you very much!

Here is what I did:

Downloaded the Windows 98 DOS files from here and unzipped it.

Created a DOS bootable drive using HPUSBFW.EXE ( From here ). When prompted, point it to the unzipped Win98 folder.

Downloaded F3.EXE and copied to the USB Drive.

Booted the Z68 Extreme 4 using F11 to choose the USB drive as the boot drive

typed F3.EXE at the command prompt and hit enter.

Rebooted. Fixed.

Thanks again!

FloatingAdrift

I am glad to hear that.

BR,

Thread Information