Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: P67 Extreme 4 does not POST (96)

Default P67 Extreme 4 does not POST (96)

Hey all. About a month ago i bought an AsRock P67 Extreme4 (B3). Got with it some minor i belive issiue - when i perform a cold boot (pc of for the night) it does not get trough POST while dr. debug stops on 96. When i cycle power off then on it boots normaly and does not give any other problems even on subsequent restarts.

System spec:
    Core i5 2500K
    4GB GoodRam(one stick)
    be-quiet straight power 550W
    Asus GF 560Ti GTX

On the side note: on my old GPU (evga gtx 250) i did sometimes manage to boot up from first try, while now it seems i need to start it two times. Curently have no idea if it could be some power problem from the PSU or some malfunction in the mobo itself.

Default Re: P67 Extreme 4 does not POST (96)

Do you have latest UEFI 1.70?

Initialy i had 1.60, updated it to 1.70 yesterday but with no luck. It still works the same way.

Dear Keiichi,

Debug code shows "96", it may be related to your PCI or PCIE card.

Please kindly refer to below suggestions for testing.
    1. Load BIOS default settings.
    2. Use eraser to clean the golden finger of the VGA card and then try again.
    3. Unplug all PCIE and PCI device, only install one VGA card to check the symptom still occur.
    4. Please install the VGA card to another PCIE slot to check whether the symptom still occur.
    5. If possible, please kindly install the VGA card to another system to check whether the symptom still occur.

If the problem still cannot be solved, please kindly contact your local dealer to check your system.
    Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD Emily

kick is offline Senior Member

Others have had the same unrecognized gx problem.

I wouldnt be suprised if I stripped down my system again that the gx wouldnt be recognised initially.

Aside from what is suggested above.

a.connect a power lead to the molex connector on the motherboard.
    see if it removes the problem.

You dont say if your cpu or gx card is overclocked ?

How are the connections to the gx card made?
    If you only have one dedicated pci lead and the other is a molex adapter,connect the dedicated lead to the socket closest to the board edge on the gx card.
    Yeh I know both sockets are on the edge,I mean the socket closest to the nearest corner of the gx card cb.

Posting/booting from cold provides a lot of strain on components and needs lots of power for capacitor charge,fan spin up and getting those electrons moving :)
    Last edited by kick; 06-08-2011 at 04:52 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thanks for suggestions. By "a.connect a power lead to the molex connector on the motherboard." you mean the socket designated as SLI power connector? Connections to the gx card is 2x 6pin power dedicated cable from PSU. CPU aint overclocked yet, gf card is the asus OC TOP model working on 900/4200 MHz.

kick is offline Senior Member

Yes the socket that helps to provide another 75w max to another pcie slot.
    Im not suggesting it as a permanent soln ,just to test if it removes the problem,ie that maybe its somehow connected to your psu,or at least the boards distribution of power at startup.
    I might have tried that myself if I was still getting the 96 problem.
    The next time u startup from cold hold down the delete key and see if the error code changes.

What is the continuous max load on the 12v side of your psu?
    Is it single rail or multiple rail?
    What is the rating on the 2 pci connectors(if its multiple rail)

What does your 12v supply read ,using something like prime 95.

Have you tried a different psu with the 560 installed?.

I have tried a few different bioses on my extreme 6 b2 version,some of which are no longer available on the asrock site.

History:

I use a 500w psu which has 2x18A 12v rails.
    1 18A rail supplies the cpu 2x 4 pin connectors,the other supplies everything else ,ie mbrd,including the pcie slot ,pcie connectors ,hdd's fans ,dvd etc.
    Full overclock on the cpu uses up all of the cpu rail,theoretically 223w short duration at 4.8ghz.

A full overclock on the gx card would use up some 180-200w for the card alone.
    This wouldnt leave much for the rest of the system.

Youre not overclocking anything yet so a power problem shouldnt apply to you right? they say 500w is plenty for a 2000k that isnt pushed too hard with only 1 gx card.
    Probably yeh but still,on startup from cold u get this problem.

>Back to the history:
    My b2 board,I never had the gx/dr debug code problem,I had read about it tho.I assumed people were just unlucky/similar.
    When I received my b3 replacement board ,I connected everything up the way it was before and expected it to fire up as usual(on bios defaults).

Wrong.:It took me awhile like a few hrs to eliminate it,cmos resets,reseating gx card,
    (the locking slider is a little annoying),changingpciconnectors around etc.
    I didnt and havent changed the bios since I got the b3 board version.

The problem stopped,I think when I turned the monitor on mid post,but the boot could have been progessing nicely and i didnt realise the monitor was turned off, and hasnt recurred since,from a total cold boot or not.

I have had the pc "disconnected" since then and opened the box to do some drive bay adjustments/reconnecting some fans etc.
    The gx card or mbrd hasnt been moved however which makes me suspect it might be something physical/connect related ratjher than bios.

If I had problems after a overnight pc switchoff ,I would still be looking for a solution.
    btw I never switch off the monitor totally overnight,just shutdown the pc,but it has been totally disconnected /shut off since the problem stopped.

This might be "too much info" but a recurrent cold boot prob must be annoying..

For a final "power check" perhaps you could set your gx card to power up at the 560 gpu v and memory norms,whatever they are,if possible.
    Last edited by kick; 06-09-2011 at 07:32 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Thread Information