Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Asrock Z68 extreme 4 : BSOD A clock interrupt was not received ---

Default Re: Asrock Z68 extreme 4 : BSOD A clock interrupt was not received ---

Quote Originally Posted by Lighto View Post
    Yes I do use CPU-Z to view the voltage.
    Idle voltage is constantly jumping from 0.864 to 0.920.
    I only have 2 pieces of RAM to test with and I do not notice any voltage variations vs the # of memory modules.
    Thanks for the info.

Quite impressed that your system is stable with CPU voltages that low; mine would hang for sure. Wonder if your CPU is one of those that can hit 4.8+ on air.

Anyway, thanks again for posting your voltages, makes me think that, maybe, the CPU not the MB is the determining factor.

Hello people,

I was battling with this issue almost a month ago and i did some tests assuming first that the problem is software.
    But I did something else: I disable C1 state, C3 state, C6 state and Package C state in bios CPU Configuration. I dont use hibernation or sleep mode in my computer and settings in energy config are in performance mode with no energy saving. I also reinstalled win 7 64bit and until now is almost 3 weeks with no BSOD. Hope this help you people and if I notice some new issue I will post it.
    Sorry if my english is not clear :)

Regards.

PS: I didnt change any voltage parameter.
    Last edited by conejin90; 08-19-2011 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by conejin90 View Post
    Hello people,

I was battling with this issue almost a month ago and i did some tests assuming first that the problem is software.
    But I did something else: I disable C1 state, C3 state, C6 state and Package C state in bios CPU Configuration. I dont use hibernation or sleep mode in my computer and settings in energy config are in performance mode with no energy saving. I also reinstalled win 7 64bit and until now is almost 3 weeks with no BSOD. Hope this help you people and if I notice some new issue I will post it.
    Sorry if my english is not clear :)

Regards.

PS: I didnt change any voltage parameter.
    Sigh, what you have described is not a fix. You have in effect crippled the features and functionality of your machine.
    No C1, C3 or C6 state. No hibernation or sleep. Those are features you want turned on. Reinstalling Win 7 is also not an option for many people.

Imagine you bought an $80K new car with a super duper Navigation system. But by using the navigation system, it would cause your car to stall unexpectedly few hours. But the fix was to disable the nav system, turn off the air conditioner, and not use the headlights. Oh, install a new engine as well.
    Would you except that as a fix for that car? You might as well have bought the $60K version of another car that didn't have the navigation system.

I wouldn't accept it as a fix. And this is not an attack, it's just a suggestion for you to ... not stop looking for THE fix.
    Turn all those features back on and set voltage to offset mode with a + 0.06v to see if your problems go away.

Quote Originally Posted by jayc72 View Post
    Sigh, what you have described is not a fix. You have in effect crippled the features and functionality of your machine.
    No C1, C3 or C6 state. No hibernation or sleep. Those are features you want turned on. Reinstalling Win 7 is also not an option for many people.

Imagine you bought an $80K new car with a super duper Navigation system. But by using the navigation system, it would cause your car to stall unexpectedly few hours. But the fix was to disable the nav system, turn off the air conditioner, and not use the headlights. Oh, install a new engine as well.
    Would you except that as a fix for that car? You might as well have bought the $60K version of another car that didn't have the navigation system.

I wouldn't accept it as a fix. And this is not an attack, it's just a suggestion for you to ... not stop looking for THE fix.
    Turn all those features back on and set voltage to offset mode with a + 0.06v to see if your problems go away.

The problem with using more offset voltage instead of using a fixed voltage is, the Z68 Extreme 4 uses some pretty high voltages when left to its default settings to start with. For instance when I was overclocking @ 4.2 GHz using the default settings in BIOS for a 4.2 GHz overclock my CPU temps where about 10C higher testing with "Intel Burn Test" than when I found the correct fixed voltage to run at that speed and with the default settings my system was not stable (I was getting BSOD regullarly). If I had added more offset voltage to increase stability the overvoltage problem and accesive heat would have been even wourse. I think that finding the correct fixed VCORE voltage is the better answer with this motherboard.

I am presently running a 4.4 GHz overclock @ 1.34v VCORE. I am using the onboard Intel HD 3000 Graphics exclusivly, hybrid sleep, hybernation, haven't dissabled anything accept energy saving in BIOS and have no issues. My system has been stable for several weeks with no BSOD or freezing. I think any small energy savings you might be trying for useing an offset voltage instead of a fixed voltage is negligable and certainly not worth the added instability or excessive voltage issues. When I am not actively using my computer I either put it to sleep or turn it off altogether.

You can not simlpy pick a random VCORE voltage and hope for the best, the voltage must be determined through testing on your particular system.

Quote Originally Posted by Photoman View Post
    The problem with using more offset voltage instead of using a fixed voltage is, the Z68 Extreme 4 uses some pretty high voltages when left to its default settings to start with. For instance when I was overclocking @ 4.2 GHz using the default settings in BIOS for a 4.2 GHz overclock my CPU temps where about 10C higher testing with "Intel Burn Test" than when I found the correct fixed voltage to run at that speed and with the default settings my system was not stable (I was getting BSOD regullarly). If I had added more offset voltage to increase stability the overvoltage problem and accesive heat would have been even wourse. I think that finding the correct fixed VCORE voltage is the better answer with this motherboard.

I am presently running a 4.4 GHz overclock @ 1.34v VCORE. I am using the onboard Intel HD 3000 Graphics exclusivly, hybrid sleep, hybernation, haven't dissabled anything accept energy saving in BIOS and have no issues. My system has been stable for several weeks with no BSOD or freezing. I think any small energy savings you might be trying for useing an offset voltage instead of a fixed voltage is negligable and certainly not worth the added instability or excessive voltage issues. When I am not actively using my computer I either put it to sleep or turn it off altogether.

You can not simlpy pick a random VCORE voltage and hope for the best, the voltage must be determined through testing on your particular system.
    Agree with Photoman; using a fixed VCore is the way to go. But having to play with VCore for a standard (ie, not overclocked) setup is a, shall we say, not optimal solution.

Questions remain. Why is the Extreme4 subject to these BSOD's and freezes when "idle" or not heavily loaded? It seems to be due to a too low VCore, but is the undervoltage a result of bad board design or are there just some bad boards out there? If it's a design issue, is it fixable via a BIOS update or is it a hardware problem with power management that cannot be fixed without a hardware moddddddd? And modifying the BIOS to add 0.07V, or whatever, is NOT THE SOLUTION. Asrock needs to acknowledge that there is a problem and work out a solution; not simply try to push the blame onto memory or PSU or whatever.

Actually, one more question remains. Would you continue to use/recommend Asrock or would you go to another manufacturer? I know my answer.

Quote Originally Posted by uszkanni View Post
    Agree with Photoman; using a fixed VCore is the way to go. But having to play with VCore for a standard (ie, not overclocked) setup is a, shall we say, not optimal solution.

Questions remain. Why is the Extreme4 subject to these BSOD's and freezes when "idle" or not heavily loaded? It seems to be due to a too low VCore, but is the undervoltage a result of bad board design or are there just some bad boards out there? If it's a design issue, is it fixable via a BIOS update or is it a hardware problem with power management that cannot be fixed without a hardware moddddddd? And modifying the BIOS to add 0.07V, or whatever, is NOT THE SOLUTION. Asrock needs to acknowledge that there is a problem and work out a solution; not simply try to push the blame onto memory or PSU or whatever.

Actually, one more question remains. Would you continue to use/recommend Asrock or would you go to another manufacturer? I know my answer.
    uszkanni makes a valid point, One should not have to first try and track down where in thier new system this serious problem resides (most assuradly the ASrock motherboard). Then try and devise a solution to this problem on thier own or with the help of others that are experiencing this same problem, while ASrock, who I am sure is well aware of the problem thier product is creating, either tries to pass the blame onto manufacturors of other components or ignors the problem altogether hopeing it will go away!

In my situation, I have finally gotten (I hope) the problem solved (or at least under control) after much research, testing and time. This motherboard is the only Z68 board with all the features I require so I will probably keep it for now. If ASrock would come out and admit there is a problem with the Z68 Extreme4 and that they are working on a solution and will see it through until all of thier customers are satisfied (similar as what happened with the release of the earlier Sandy Bridge boards), this would restore some faith in them. If they continue on the path they have chosen up until now dealing with this issue, I will not buy any of thier products in the future and would advise others to steer clear of thier products also!

Hello,

I agree its not clear were the problem come from, and I hope there will be a correct technical answer from Asrock.
    What I observed is that after I disabled C states, the BSOD's stop to appear. I will continue testing to find something else.

Regards.

I also agree with uszkanni & photoman. It's my first time to buy Asrock motherboard (actually second time since I bought both pro3-m & ext.4 in a month) and it is frustrating to suffer from BSOD/freeze problem without any solution provided by Asrock for so long. Such freeze/BSOD problem was not only reported here but also in other forums including some in taiwan.

I noticed that there was a series of BIOS update for z68 motherboard last month to increase IGP voltage. Such update was avail. for pro3-m but not ext.4. I supposed ext.4 is a higher end motherboard than pro3-m but I am sorry by lack of BIOS update to fix the problem for so long. BTW, I dun have freeze/BSOD problem for pro3-m with 2500K even without BIOS but this problem exists for my ext.4 regardless of BIOS version. As you other said, this problem exisits with IGP used and at low load (e.g. browsing internet).

I just remember that my old P4 motherboard made by Axxs, though with some problem in early days, was fixed by frequent BIOS update......frankly speaking, I regret my decision to try another brand this time due to lack of solution to a higher end motherboard made by Asrock...I really hope Asrock can really fix this problem through a BIOS update asap.

just notice that there are new BETA bios available for z68 extreme 4

the changelog is L1.60G 8/16/2011 Instant Flash 3.20MB Improve system stability.

haven't tried it yet but gonna try it tomorrow,
    i'm also gonna reinstall win 7 since now i keep getting explorer.exe hang, this is the first time i need to reinstall os every month or so >_>,
    guess i should do image backup to easily revert back to new installation.

anyway if u guys want to try, the go to
    ASRock > Products > Motherboard > Z68 Extreme4 > Download

do note that the bios is BETA, it means its not thoroughly tested yet,

also there is a new usb 3 driver in the same page

or you can get the newest driver from ASROCK Z68 Extrem 4 bios & drivers

Hmm. I just installed this beta BIOS, cleared the CMOS and loaded the defaults, and the only obvious change is that instead of Vcore being set to "Auto", it is now set to "Fixed" @ 1.190V just like the OP suggested.

Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread Information