Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New build with ASRock P67 Pro3 won't post

Default New build with ASRock P67 Pro3 won't post

Specs:

ASRock P67 Pro3
    i5 2500K
    2x4GB Patriot DDR3 1333
    1.5TB SATA3
    SuperMulti SATA
    NVIDIA GTX460
    Corsair 500W

Those are the guts. The problem I am having is when I attempt to boot, the system starts to spin up for a few moments (maybe 3 seconds), then resets. During those 3 seconds Dr. Debug goes through about 7 sets of codes (some of them are standard checks), but I noticed one code was "56" which (as far as I can tell listed under 0x56 in the book) stands for invalid CPU type of speed. Not sure why it would say that... The 56 code is near the end of the line, I think it also throws out a 49 and/or a 46 after that, but I'm not sure (and I have no idea what those would mean anyway). After it tries to turn on for ~3 seconds, it spins down (like the reset button was pressed), and starts all over again. It is an endless loop that only stops when I pull the PSU plug.

I have tried each of the 2 sticks of RAM I have in all possible seating configs. I have tried pressing the clearCMOS switch numerous times. I have tried simply leaving it unplugged for a bit, too. Can't seem to get it to boot...

I have a feeling there's something simple I'm just overlooking. I'm hoping someone will make me feel silly with a simple solution. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks

kick is offline Senior Member

Default Re: New build with ASRock P67 Pro3 won't post

That would be invalid cpu type OR speed.
    Hold down the delete key while it is trying to post ,see if the code changes.

The p67 boards seem to have a certain sensitivity to initial connections for some.
    My original b2 board fired up first time, the b3 replacement board took a couple of hrs of trying.
    Most no post problems u see are
    concerned with 0xD6 no console output devices found, or similar ie gx card recognition problems.

See if holding down the power button stops the endless loop then turn off the psu and "pull the plug".

You probably havent missed anything but:
    1.recheck all connections,then reseat all the components like the gx card ,1 stick of memory should do for testing.
    2. if nothing happens reset/clear the cmos, make sure the pc is turned off and the psu is turned off and unplgged and discharge the capacitors by holding down the mbrd pwr button to clear the current. then clear cmos.
    3. you might have to do this a few times.

The code would indicate that the cpu isnt seated correctly.. but removing and reseating it and reapplying tim will be a pain, but you might have to end up doing that.
    If that doesnt work u might have to take out the battery and leave it for an hr or so to ensure clearing cmos works.
    Last edited by kick; 06-17-2011 at 08:42 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post
    That would be invalid cpu type OR speed.
    Hold down the delete key while it is trying to post ,see if the code changes.

The p67 boards seem to have a certain sensitivity to initial connections for some.
    My original b2 board fired up first time, the b3 replacement board took a couple of hrs of trying.
    Most no post problems u see are
    concerned with 0xD6 no console output devices found, or similar ie gx card recognition problems.

See if holding down the power button stops the endless loop then turn off the psu and "pull the plug".

You probably havent missed anything but:
    1.recheck all connections,then reseat all the components like the gx card ,1 stick of memory should do for testing.
    2. if nothing happens reset/clear the cmos, make sure the pc is turned off and the psu is turned off and unplgged and discharge the capacitors by holding down the mbrd pwr button to clear the current. then clear cmos.
    3. you might have to do this a few times.

The code would indicate that the cpu isnt seated correctly.. but removing and reseating it and reapplying tim will be a pain, but you might have to end up doing that.
    If that doesnt work u might have to take out the battery and leave it for an hr or so to ensure clearing cmos works.
    Thanks for the quick reply, and the good advice. I will try the DEL key idea, clearing the CMOS again, and then I'm just going to have to check the CPU seating I guess. I'll report back once I try all of that.

Well... I tried almost all of the suggestions, with no luck. I have the system down to the motherboard, cpu, psu, and 1 stick of ram. I tried the "DEL" (tapping, holding, etc) with no luck - codes didn't change. I tried resetting the cmos (both on the back switch and using the jumper - and being sure all power to the system was dry). I tried a quick removal of the battery (5 min). I removed the hsf, tried reseating the cpu (it seemed fine anyway) - all with no luck. Still getting the "start loop" (b/c it's way too short to be a boot loop).

I am going to try leaving the battery out overnight to see if that gives any luck. Otherwise I'm going to have to do what I'm dreading, which is having to pull the 2500K from my main system (running on a p67 extreme4) to do a full check and find out if it's the mobo or cpu on the new build... Man, what a headache that will be. Anyone have any final suggestions before I go ahead with that (assuming the overnight battery pull doesn't work)?

Thanks

Over night battery pull may work .
    The only other things I can think of (without swapping out the cpu),is a no case start up with minimum items connected and minimum wires to the system panel header,minimum fan,no front usb hookup etc.

This would eliminate any possibility of mbrd back touching any parts of the case+ gx card would be attached to mbrd only by its pcie slot.

full power downs + up no resets.

Leave the monitor turned off then turn it on when system is posting up.

Storage: try just a usb stick or a fdd if the pro 3 has a connector.

The 2 pcie connectors on the gx card:I dont know if the corsair has 2 dedicated 6 pin connectors for gx or not,but if you are using a molex adapter for one of them use it on the connector furthest from the corner of the gx card.

Finally(if it was me and I dont know if you are in the same situation),when I returned my b2 board I decided to keep the bios/cmos chip(yeh v naughty) just in case I needed it as a backup,if you are in the same situation,you could replace the chip.

I didnt have to go that far when I was getting my b3 replacement board back up and running as my reaction was more "goodness gracious! its all the same components that were running before except for the board ,why wont it work now!". Yeh I did say something else aside from goodness gracious.

Anyway hopefully battery will work.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

So, I pulled the battery overnight - still no luck. Decided I'd pull mobo out. Set it on a plastic tray with only cpu (no hsf), 1 dimm ram, and 24 & 8 pin psu connectors going to mobo. Used the onboard power switch, and still got the same error. Out of curiosity I pulled the ram dimm, and tried to power it on. With the ram out it gives me the correct error (53), and dr debug halts right there - which is good... But when I put the ram back in I get the same quick string of numbers (the sequence seems to be 19-56-46-49-19; but it sometimes ends in 31 or 32 instead of 19), and then the reboot/loop over and over again.

I also tried reseating the cpu a number of times with no luck. I'll think I'm going to pull the CPU from the system I can't get to work, and put it in my extreme4 to see if it works there... If it does then I'll test my other 2500k in the new build to see if it fails there... If both of those check out, I guess it's just a DOA mobo. If that's the case should I rma to newegg or rma to asrock (basically, does asrock charge you to ship it in?)

Thanks for the heads up

Ack .sorry no luck.
    I didnt mean no hs fan btw .it heats up v fast ..
    I hope the cpu works ok in your other sys
    ,but new cpu failures are rare.
    Did you try connecting your extreme 4 components up to the mbrd and installed cpu?

Then again maybe enough trying is enough trying.
    Ive never had to rma a mbrd to anybody.
    The b2-b3 swop was supposed to be cost free except for the downtime+ there is a 1 year extra asrock guarantee for the inconvenience.
    It was done thru original retailer(Europe) n asrock pay them etc.

In fact I had to pay return b2 shipping costs, but not for b3 delivery.

However I now have a free shpping agreement with the supplier for whatever I order next.

Asrock rma,contacts + info should be provided by the resident asrock tech.
    newegg Ive read do cost nothing in a 30 day or less return,but ive no personal experience.
    Last edited by kick; 06-18-2011 at 08:56 AM.
    Current Systems:

Yeah, it's annoying for sure. I left the hsf fan off just to make sure it wasn't messing with the seating of the cpu. It was a calculated risk, b/c you're right that it heats up fast. But I don't think it got too hot for the couple of minutes I was testing it.

I have a spare psu laying around, so I should check that. Then I just need to verify if it's the cpu or mobo, and send one back to get this thing working.

Thanks for all of your help kick. Nice to know I'm not overlooking anything.

Quote Originally Posted by gat0rjay View Post
    Yeah, it's annoying for sure. I left the hsf fan off just to make sure it wasn't messing with the seating of the cpu. It was a calculated risk, b/c you're right that it heats up fast. But I don't think it got too hot for the couple of minutes I was testing it.

I have a spare psu laying around, so I should check that. Then I just need to verify if it's the cpu or mobo, and send one back to get this thing working.

Thanks for all of your help kick. Nice to know I'm not overlooking anything.

I had the exact same problem with 2 computers im buiding for customers and it would power on and off in 3 sec intervals with the same numbers. Take out the RAM and it would stop @ error code 56 but at lease stay on! I pulled some RAM out of NEW Lenovo i have lying around and it posted with that RAM. I think it has to do with the fact that the 4GB Sticks i have are Double Sided. (Patriot is the brand) Will let you know ifi can get them to work. Otherwise ill have to more selectively order better RAM.

Setting the RAM at 1066 form 1333 Fixed the problem. Wierd non the less.
    Last edited by kefka900; 01-26-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Ranazar is offline Junior Member

FYI - I ran into the same problem with my build (ASRock Z77 Pro3). In the end it also turned out to be my memory chips: Patriot DDR3-1600 (PGD38G1600ELK). I have two 4-GB chips and I put them in the recommended slots (A1 & B1). No good - that caused the system to go into a loop of powering up for a few seconds, no output to the screen, no post, power down and repeat.

After swapping chips around I figured out that putting them in A1 and A2 worked, but the memory would be in single-channel mode. What's weird is that I had posted once with the chips in A1 & B1, but couldn't get it to work after that.

No idea what the issue is - the memory does show up on the ASRock site as tested. At this point I'm just glad things are working.

Thread Information