Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asrock Z68 Pro 3 Overclock Help

Default Re: Asrock Z68 Pro 3 Overclock Help

This thread is very interesting to me. I have the Z68 Pro3 and a 2500K. My overclock is rock stable at 4.2 GHz with stock voltages. I only increased the multiplier.

However, nothing I did could get me to even a slightly higher 4.3 GHz overclock. Auto on 4.3, even with the much higher voltages, would fail the Intel stress test after a minute or so. Manually adjusting various settings didn't help. Is anyone getting much higher than 4.2 with this board?

I'm on the 1.20 BIOS by the way.

My multiplier in CPU-Z keeps changing all the time.is that normal

Quote Originally Posted by donkey View Post
    My multiplier in CPU-Z keeps changing all the time.is that normal
    Multiplier changes are normal under varying loads. Initially, my multiplier was changing under the stress test, which shouldn't have been happening. I had to up the Max CPU Power BIOS settings to fix that.

I just read that its normal for it to do that while been tested under prime95

kick is offline Senior Member

My overclock/overclocks do not drop multiplier when running prime or other stress tests the 4.6 or 4.8 ones anyway.

The idea is to have your multiplier at max all the time under load.Whether its prime 95 or anything else..

I can list settings where I have a x48 multiplier , but under load it drops to 43 at times.Thats of no interest to me personally.I just want things to hold max at whatever multiplier i set.

If its going to drop to 43 well I might as well go for settings that give me 43 no matter what.
    Does this make sense? if not nps.
    My rxperience is..if you move off the autoclocks.u will get speedstep speed culling.
    Get an auto overclock working .then cut voltages if u can.
    Its like Ive said before.
    Asrock isnt going to provide auto overclocks that will make your cpu burn up..why would they..mass cpu failures would only hurt them.

Their auto overclocks may provide more voltage and power than u actually need , but thats another q and u might be able to "back off " the asrock settings.

If over 1.5v isnt being applied to your cpu and your Temperatures dont go crazy why worry too much as long as it boots/runs ok.
    Last edited by kick; 06-21-2011 at 07:42 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Z68 Pro3-M, i2600K, Corsair H60 cooler Gskill 1600 7-8-7-24 runing stable a 44 multiplier with a manual voltage offset of .040. Temps hover in the 65C range on Blended Prime test.

Initially I could not get it over 42 no mater what but after I replaced my Kingston hyperX Ram with the GSkill I was able to get over the hump. I first bumped the multiplier to 43 and ran Prime for a couple of hours. Than I just bumped it again to 44 with no changes to voltages (all AUTO) but got a crash after 14 min. I started tweaking the voltage offset and got much better results. Still testing and tweaking but:

What I currently have as stable configs are
    44X with a manual voltage offset of 0.040
    45X with a manual volatge offset of 0.050 - only tested for 1 hr

Now to my question/oddity
    While runing Prime test I was looking at CPUID for applied voltage and multiplier. I noticed that whe runing with the 44X multiplier the processor was actually jumping between 41 and 44 but staying at 44 most of the time.
    When runing Prime test with the 45X setting the processor was jumping between 39 and 45 (wider range) and staying at 45 only about 20% of the time. Just for grins I ran a video encoding test using Handbreak and indeed the setting at 44 finished quicker then the setting at 45. What's up with that?

If your multipliers are changing under load, you need to go into the BIOS and increase your short and long power limits, as well as the core power limit. I can't remember the exact setting name, but it's right around where you set the CPU multiplier. Mine are at 150, 175, and 175 respectively.

Raising the power limits has completly stabilized the multiplier even under heavy loads. Thanks.

With these settings I am now runing stable for 6 hr Blended Prime test
    Multiplier: 45
    Manual Voltage Offset: .070
    Power Limit 170

The max temp during the 6 hr was 74C and the core voltage was around 1.32.
    The temp seems a bit high but I have everything cramed in a small M-ATX case. I might play with the colling configuration a bit before I attempt to go higher.

Z68 Pro3-M, 2600K, Corsair H60 cooer, GSkill 1600 7-8-7-24 1.6V, Seasonic X 650 PSU

kick is offline Senior Member

small tip:
    If you load up the 4.6 ghz overclock,save it and then repost and enter the bios,you should be able to see the short and long duration power settings u might need.
    ie
    If I put uefi settings on all default (max overclock 3.7ghz)and then switch to manual cpu settings the short and long duration values set by the board will appear.
    In my case that is :
    short duration :110w
    long duration:90w

If you load up 4.6 or 4.8(if it will post) autooverclock and then enter uefi and change to manual cpu multiplier setting,you will be able to see the power the board applies for higher overclocks.
    In my case :
    short duration:216W
    long duration:190W
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information