Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASRock Z68 PRO3 quiet CPU cooler suggestions?

Default ASRock Z68 PRO3 quiet CPU cooler suggestions?

Anyone have any suggestions for a good quiet, preferably PWM compatible, CPU heatsink and fan for the ASRock Z68 PRO3?

I'm considering:
    1) COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
    2) ZALMAN CNPS11X Extreme

Thanks,
    Matt

Default Re: ASRock Z68 PRO3 quiet CPU cooler suggestions?

Hi

I got an Extreme4 recently with a 2500K. Got the Hyper212+ for ~AUD$35 which is fantastic value for such a great performing heatsink. It's nearly inaudible, but i am planning to replace the fan on it with a Nexus 120mm PWM fan (~$15) because the stock fan on my Hyper has a very very slight rattle in it. Very likely a faulty fan but i can't be bothered returning the whole thing for warranty.

Played with overclocking immediately as well, here are my results (all are from an ambient of 20C)

Stock:
    Idle: < 30C - fan on lowest RPM, practically inaudible; full load for 30mins: under 60C - fan begins to kick in at 55C but is still very quiet at around 1500RPM

4.4Ghz
    Idle: ~30C - fan on lowest RPM, practically inaudible; full load for 30mins: a bit over 70C - fan begins to kick in at 55C and gets a little bit noisy as it spins up to the full 2000RPM

4.6Ghz
    Same results as 4.4Ghz but temp is a bit over 80C.

4.8Ghz, cpu started malfunctioning in Prime95

so i stayed on 4.6Ghz. In practice the cpu is unlikely to reach full load for such long periods unless you're using all cores on a very intensive task. even on long 3d gaming it in practice only reached 60C and the noise form the VGA card is much much more significant

overall very happy with the Hyper. bang-for-your-buck is unbeatable

Edit: wanted to include that i was using the "in place Large FFTs" torture test in Prime95 to get those temps, not the default "Blend" test. about 20 minutes into the "In Place..." test it changes over to a slightly smaller fft size which causes the temps to hit the numbers mentioned above. The "Blend" test results in far lower temps, ~20C less than the 'load' ones above
    Last edited by dogoth; 06-26-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Thanks mate! So there were no clearance issues w/RAM or other motherboard heatspreaders?

kick is offline Senior Member

.Im using Zalman CNPS10X-Quiet CPU Cooler: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    Its good but have to use ram in slots 2+4.I use 2 fans.and neither came with it :0
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

just took a look at the layout of the Pro3 on the AsRock site and you will have absolutely no issues with clearances anywhere on the mobo. The Extreme4 is packed tighter than the Pro3 and i have no issues in the Extreme4 at all. Still plenty of space shoud you want to put on a second fan on the Hyper for push/pull (i'm not going to bother).

only bit to be concerned about is your case. it is quite a tall heatsink, so as long as your case has a 120mm fan port above the motherboard ports (if the case is lying on parallel to the ground) then you should be fine. FYI i have an Antec P183 V3 and it fits perfectly height wise (with only a few mm to spare).

Exclamation Re: ASRock Z68 PRO3 quiet CPU cooler suggestions?

I am owner of this motherboard for 5 days now. I have i5 2500k and Cooler Master TX3, and TX3 is quiet enough. But it seems that there is some problem with BIOS/UEFI since it doesn't control CPU fan speed as it should. Once it starts to speed up it seems it goes to the full speed without slowing down when the CPU temperature goes down. Also it seems that no matter what, CPU temps cannot go lower than 45C as it is the lowest value in the UEFI. I have tested 2500k and TX3 with Prime95 and temps go up to 70C and I've noticed that fan haven't speed up nor slowed down during the test. No matter what the temperature was it remained at full speed. UEFI setting is auto/45C/Level 1.

The reason for this story is... CM 212+ is good cooler, but it tends to be noisy at high fan speed. If you have the same problem as I do with the motherboard, the noise is still going to be a problem. UEFI just doesn't control fans as it should. The only solution is to use ASRock eXtreme Tuner and apply the fan control settings now and then since the fan just can't slow down as it should.

Thanks dogoth, kick and Marx. All very helpful. Best regards

I'm using the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus on an P67 Extreme6 with 4 sticks of Corsair Vengeance and the fan just doesn't reach the RAM slots. 2600K overclocked to 4.6 GHz and prime95 tops at 64C. Happy with the noise level
    Asrock P67 Extreme6, BIOS 1.6, 16 Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600, Toshiba 64 Gb SSD, Nvidia 9500 GS

kick is offline Senior Member

One other consideration is.

If your cpu fan wont fit because of height problems if there is a dram stick in slot 1.

YOU ARE LUCKY!.

? pass that idiot the crack pipe ^

ie what do I mean.

I would draw a diagram but im too lazy.
    a.I use temp sensors in both of my ram sticks.
    b.right now doin nothin much my ram in slot 4 is at 39.4c,my ram in slot 2 is at 37.2C..mbrd is probly at 32C
    c.Putting ram (2 sticks) in slots 2 +4 cos u have to for fan clearance means your ram will be cooled by cpu fan intake,in fact I have my cpu cooler intake fan lowered as far as is practical to get airflow over the memory heatsinks.

The majority of the airflow will be coolish air to the cpu heatsink,and at the other side /exhaust side cpu cooler fan ,i have to mount the fan at "normal height " to clear the mosfet vrm heatsinks.
    Last edited by kick; 06-26-2011 at 08:00 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

jizzo: 64C on load at 4.6GHz!? amazing figures, what prime95 test are you using? how long are you stress testing for? if the 212 can reach those numbers i'd love to know how. i am using speedfan to monitor core temps and there is about a 7-8C variation between the cores during the test, with 82C being the hottest

kick: good idea RE the RAM cooling, will poke around my mobo to see if i can rearrange things as you have suggested. one side question though: what is the reasoning for getting high-end ram these days? up until the sandy bridge, overclocking was done by pumping the FSB which put stress on the ram (unless you go all the way back to AMDK7 or P4, or Extreme Edition cpus) . nowadays its all done with the cpu multiplier so there is no stress on the ram any more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information