Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Z68 Extreme 4 USB3 problems

Default Z68 Extreme 4 USB3 problems

Hello there:
    I recently finished building a computer with a core i5 and a Z68 Extreme 4. It works well, except the USB 3 ports are giving me trouble. Yesterday I was in the middle of copying some data to a USB stick and suddenly I got a message that "the hardware is no longer present in this computer." I re-started and it was the same. The driver loader comes on briefly, then disappears and the USB stick does not even show up in My Computer anymore.

Is there a known issue with USB 3 on this platform? Can anyone think of a solution?

Thanks, Gordon

Default Re: Z68 Extreme 4 USB3 problems

I should add I'm running Windows 7 32 bit with 4 gigs of memory.

Dear gordoncanada,

Please kindly refer to below suggestions for testing.
    1. Load BIOD default settings.
    2. Reinstall USB3.0 driver from below link for testing.
    Link: ASRock > Products > Motherboard > Z68 Extreme4 > Download
    3. Plug your USB device to other USB ports for testing.
    4. If possible, please kindly change other USB device to check whether the symptom still occur.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD Emily

Reloading the drivers worked! Thank you for your help.
    Gord

hi,
    i have exactly the same problem with USB3 port of this motherboard. I use it for the WD Mybook Essential external HDD.
    what i am experiencing are:
    - when plugged in to USB3 port, the HDD detected only half of the time. to get it work i have to either plug it to the other usb3 port, or even reboot the computer. but sometimes these won't get it works too.
    -the HDD sometimes shown up as unknown device on Device Manager, although the drivers is already installed and this device worked properly previously and nothing was changed.
    -at the time when the HDD seemed to be detected and running ok, in the middle of copying large file it will suddenly will and become undetected.

I am very sure its not the external HDD problem since it works perfectly flawless on USB2 port of this motherboard, and also I tested using the exact same unit I borrowed and can reproduce the same problem.

I did firmware update and playing around with the BIOS settings without any luck. Already gave up until I saw this post :)
    let me try reinstall the drivers (again) as suggested and will update you.
    btw, I am running Win7 x64, 16GB.

Once the USB 3 ports start acting up, I find the best way to reset them is to unplug the computer all night. I find the USB 3 ports are very picky about what is plugged into them. USB 3 is supposed to be compatible with USB 2 devices, but I find that this is not always the case. Certain USB sticks cause trouble when plugged into my USB 3 ports. Magic Jack would not load when I plugged it into the USB 3 ports. My old HP Scanjet also caused problems when it was plugged into the USB 3 ports. Reloading the drives only works temporarily if an incompatible device is still plugged into the USB 3 port. I've gone back to USB hubs with everything plugged into USB 2. The only thing I plug into USB 3 ports is my new USB 3 memory stick and I don't get problems anymore.

Oh, the joys of being an early adopter. Are we the only ones having this problem? Are we doing something wrong?

Gord

I have the same problem as you wking with my WD MyPassport Essential 500 GB. The drive is recognized maybe once in 20 och 30 connections when plugged in on one of the USB 3.0 connectors, even less often on the ASRock frontplate connectors. It works great when connected on USB 2.0 ports. I have contacted Etron about this and they are hopefully working on a solution. I have also contacted ASRock support, but as usual they do not respond to support messages at all. Has anyone received any kind of support from ASRock?
    Last edited by Michael_H; 08-30-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Dear all,

If you get some problem with Etron USB3.0, please kindly download Etron USB3.0 ver1.04 driver from below link and install it to try.
    Link: ASRock > Products > Motherboard > Z68 Extreme4 > Download

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD Emily

Hi Emily,

I have installed version 1.04, but it does not solve the problem. I have the same problem on two different systems with Z68 Extreme4, and with two different MyPassport Essential drives. I run Win 7 64-bit.

I should add I'm running Windows 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information