Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CPU Core Temp (VCORE) fixed in BIOS but seems to be auto in Tuner, Cpuid, etc

Default Re: CPU Core Temp (VCORE) fixed in BIOS but seems to be auto in Tuner, Cpuid, etc

Quote Originally Posted by ASRock TSD - Emily View Post
    Dear RRabbi,

Please kindly load BIOS default settings first and then adjust some settings for overclocking as below.
    1. CPU Ratio Setting -> [Manual]
    Max Ratio -> According to your need and CPU, you can adjust the value.
    2. Turbo Power Limit -> [Manual]
    Short Duration Power Limit (PL2, Watt) -> [223]
    Long Duration Power Limit (PL1, Watt) -> [200]
    3. CPU Core Voltage -> [Offset Mode]
    Offset voltage (V) -> [+0.095V]
    Or you can adjust CPU Core Voltage to [Fixed Mode].
    According to CPU overclock status, you can adjust Fixed Voltage from 1.200V to 1.45V to try.

Above value is just for your reference, you can adjust some settings according to the overclock.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD Emily
    @wazza300, that does make a whole lot of sense and kindof what I thought the route might be... I'll try that...

@Emily, are those settings what you had in mind to help me eliminate the BSOD's; or rather was it for overclocking (since I'm not really interested in an o/c right now...) I'd be afraid to overclock too much with just my stock fan and heatsink for the CPU.

That said, if I set the ratio to 37, is that the same as allowing turbo mode to jump up to 3700.00ghz? I set it at 33 to start, and it seemed to only fluctuate between 16x and 33x.

I tried fixed mode at 1.200, but once booted into Windows 7, CPU-Z, and Extreme Tuner STILL showed a fluctuating vcore voltage. I just CAN'T seem to get a fixed voltage to reflect in Windows for some reason.

I also tried setting the max ratio to 37, but when playing Bad Company 2 the CPU seemed to stay at around 3700 the whole time... just by having the game loaded. I wasn't at all comfortable with the temps that were being reported (almost 90 degrees Celsius, and I believe the limit for Core i5 2500k is 98 degrees)... I'm going to try wazza300's suggestion and see if I get any further BSOD's

Thanks so much for the help!

Dave
    Last edited by RRabbi; 07-07-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Default Re: CPU Core Temp (VCORE) fixed in BIOS but seems to be auto in Tuner, Cpuid, etc

Dear RRabbi,

Above settings is for overclocking.

If you adjust CPU Vore Voltage to [Fixed mode] and want the voltage fix at 1.200V, please kindly adjust "CPU Load-Line Calibration" to [Level 1] for testing.

So you don't adjust any settings under BIOS (Default settings), do you still get the BSOD?
    Or which settings in the BIOS do you adjust?

Thanks for your help!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD Emily
    Last edited by ASRock TSD - Emily; 07-08-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Dear RRabbi,

Above settings is for overclocking.

If you adjust CPU Vore Voltage to [Fixed mode] and want the voltage fix at 1.200V, please kindly adjust "CPU Load-Line Calibration" to [Level 2] for testing.

So you don't adjust any settings under BIOS (Default settings), do you still get the BSOD?
    Or which settings in the BIOS do you adjust?

Thanks for your help!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD Emily
    This time, I set EVERYTHING to default/auto but switched LLC to Level 1.

I'll test that out for a few days and see how it works... I like the temps better at this setting. When I tried your manual settings (for overclocking) I wasn't liking the temps (at 37x ratio) 33x would probably be fine, but then I'd lose the benefit of the Turbo mode I think (at least, maybe it would only go as high as 3300.00ghz in turbo).

I'll try both methods for a few days to see if I get any further BSOD's. I'm confident that I won't see any more... Fingers crossed.

Dave

Dear Dave,

I did the test, but I cannot see the symptom like yours on our side.
    Please kindly try above settings first.

If the symptom still occur, please kindly provide the picture of BSOD for me.
    Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD Emily

Dear Dave,

I did the test, but I cannot see the symptom like yours on our side.
    Please kindly try above settings first.

If the symptom still occur, please kindly provide the picture of BSOD for me.
    Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD Emily
    Sure, no problem.

FYI: when I received the BSOD the BIOS settings were all at their defaults, and the only change I made initially was to correct the DRAM from 1333 to 1600, and switch SATA from IDE to AHCI. Other than that, I didn't play with any overclocking settings whatsoever.

The BSOD's occured both when I was playing different 3D games (was able to play for a while, then eventually hit the BSOD).

I'll let you know if the default bios settings + LLC to level 1 do the trick.

Thanks for your assistance,

Dave

Dear Dave,
    Thanks for your information.

Please kindly install your memory to white DRAM slots to try first.
    And please kindly provide the detail model name and picture of your memory for me.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD Emily

Dear Dave,
    Thanks for your information.

Please kindly install your memory to white DRAM slots to try first.
    And please kindly provide the detail model name and picture of your memory for me.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD Emily
    Here is a link to the RAM I purchased: Vengeance

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

I also just switched them to the white slots.

Dave
    Last edited by RRabbi; 07-07-2011 at 11:56 PM.

kick is offline Senior Member

It seems ironic that users would have problems at default settings and have to vary those .
    Default is usually ultra conservative.
    When going for default /reset ,use the default answers to all q's option not just the cpu default option.

Much of what I posted above was for a general idea of voltages reqd for the cpu(mine at least) etc.

The 33-37multiplier thing is what u should get from the default settings .It might not hold 37 ,but it should at least move off 33 when testing.Upwards I mean under load.

I never have run on default settings for more than a couple of hrs so I dont know if I would have had blue screens.

Im thinking a few possibilities:
    1.either asrock defaults have allways been set a bit on the low side for 2000k processors
    or maybe
    2.the more recent intel 2000k cpu's arent quite as good as earlier ones,ie they might clock the same but need just a tiny bit more v to do it.

For u(intel cooler) ,especially because these cpu's stay cool right up to medium overclocks like 4.2 I would suggest trying the lowest auto overclock.I believe thats 4.0ghz.
    This is not even because u might want to keep it running on a 40 multiplier but so you would get an idea of the voltages needed and hopefully it would be stable for u.
    I cant see the temperatures going over mid 60C at that speed with the intel cooler.

You might say well if I cant run all the time on standard bios settings at standard cpu speed how is overclocking going to help.

The thing is youre not running stable on standard settings and Ive never had any adjustments to do on 4.4 or 4.6ghz overclocks,AND the autooverclocks dont "throttle back" under load.
    Ie on some experiments Ive tried at 4.6ghz doing all my own adjustments the cpu would start off at say 46,drop to 43 then settle at around x44.
    The autoclocks dont do that . the multiplier u set(assuming the cpu will run at that speed) is what they stay at under load.Well ok Ive never tried as low as 4.0ghz ,but the others do.

How does that help me (Dave).
    U load and save the auto overclock ,maybe test it out a bit in windows.check readings from your axtu ,see what the off set voltage is,write down all the data that is shown ,see what the max voltage goes to under load(x40), see what your voltage lines change to (mainly the 12v line) ,write down what the voltage is at idle (x16) etc.

Then you have 2 options.
    a.I like this 4.0ghz overclock, it hasnt given any errors(hopefully) .the cpu temp is below 70 after 2hrs of testing and so on. I think ill just keep it.
    or
    b.I dont want any overclock over the standard 3.7max clock.
    If its b you can restart the pc go into the uefi bios and set your cpu speed to manual adjustment
    Once you do that u can see all the voltages/power changes the board has made for the 4.0 max overclock(these are different for each auto overclock),but the settings for 4.0 should be all you need at a maximum.
    Then with all the information written down you can set your max multiplier to 37 and use those values.That way you should be sure of not underpowering /undervolting your cpu.
    I dont know if saving the 4.0 overclock as "my4.0" and then just applying a max multiplier lower than 40 would work,it would be simpler.

The memory: Mine had the correct timings applied but the voltage was 1.59,it should have been 1.50 for my gskills.I compromised and left it at 1.55v.

edit:100c ie boiling point is the max temp for most intel cpu's /chipsets also but u dont want them anywhere near that
    really 80 is a good temp on air as a maximum readout ever seen ,but u would only expect that on like for 2000k cpu's.say 4.4ghz on an intel cooler and maybe 4.8ghz on a good aftermarket air cooler.
    Taking the 10-15c difference between intel and aftermarket coolers as normal.
    Gx running thru the cpu may icrease all loads and temps dramatically and Ive no info on that.. other than Im glad I have a seperate gx card.

3.7ghz on air shouldnt give a temp like that(90c). Ive never actually seen an intel cpu of any type maintaining standard rated speed at a temp like that , perhaps if the cpu fan wasnt working or the cpu heatsink isnt absolutely flat on the cpu.
    a.what is the temperature shown when the cpu is at idle?
    b.what is the difference between cpu temp and motherboard temp at idle in axtu.
    c. do u have a different cpu temp software sensor reader such as coretemp or realtemp ..and what do they indicate for temperatures for each of the 4 cores?
    Voltage variation I wouldnt worry too much about.. unless it swings around wildly at 1 particular speed .
    Actually do u have any "under test" screenshots u could link into your posts that would help everyone, you can see some of mine in older posts.
    Last edited by kick; 07-08-2011 at 04:37 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post
    It seems ironic that users would have problems at default settings and have to vary those .
    Default is usually ultra conservative.
    When going for default /reset ,use the default answers to all q's option not just the cpu default option.

Much of what I posted above was for a general idea of voltages reqd for the cpu(mine at least) etc.

The 33-37multiplier thing is what u should get from the default settings .It might not hold 37 ,but it should at least move off 33 when testing.Upwards I mean under load.

I never have run on default settings for more than a couple of hrs so I dont know if I would have had blue screens.

Im thinking a few possibilities:
    1.either asrock defaults have allways been set a bit on the low side for 2000k processors
    or maybe
    2.the more recent intel 2000k cpu's arent quite as good as earlier ones,ie they might clock the same but need just a tiny bit more v to do it.

For u(intel cooler) ,especially because these cpu's stay cool right up to medium overclocks like 4.2 I would suggest trying the lowest auto overclock.I believe thats 4.0ghz.
    This is not even because u might want to keep it running on a 40 multiplier but so you would get an idea of the voltages needed and hopefully it would be stable for u.
    I cant see the temperatures going over mid 60C at that speed with the intel cooler.

You might say well if I cant run all the time on standard bios settings at standard cpu speed how is overclocking going to help.

The thing is youre not running stable on standard settings and Ive never had any adjustments to do on 4.4 or 4.6ghz overclocks,AND the autooverclocks dont "throttle back" under load.
    Ie on some experiments Ive tried at 4.6ghz doing all my own adjustments the cpu would start off at say 46,drop to 43 then settle at around x44.
    The autoclocks dont do that . the multiplier u set(assuming the cpu will run at that speed) is what they stay at under load.Well ok Ive never tried as low as 4.0ghz ,but the others do.

How does that help me (Dave).
    U load and save the auto overclock ,maybe test it out a bit in windows.check readings from your axtu ,see what the off set voltage is,write down all the data that is shown ,see what the max voltage goes to under load(x40), see what your voltage lines change to (mainly the 12v line) ,write down what the voltage is at idle (x16) etc.

Then you have 2 options.
    a.I like this 4.0ghz overclock, it hasnt given any errors(hopefully) .the cpu temp is below 70 after 2hrs of testing and so on. I think ill just keep it.
    or
    b.I dont want any overclock over the standard 3.7max clock.
    If its b you can restart the pc go into the uefi bios and set your cpu speed to manual adjustment
    Once you do that u can see all the voltages/power changes the board has made for the 4.0 max overclock(these are different for each auto overclock),but the settings for 4.0 should be all you need at a maximum.
    Then with all the information written down you can set your max multiplier to 37 and use those values.That way you should be sure of not underpowering /undervolting your cpu.
    I dont know if saving the 4.0 overclock as "my4.0" and then just applying a max multiplier lower than 40 would work,it would be simpler.

The memory: Mine had the correct timings applied but the voltage was 1.59,it should have been 1.50 for my gskills.I compromised and left it at 1.55v.
    Cool... that's a ton of good advice... The last time I overclocked a CPU, was when the Celeron's first came out :). heh... Once I get the $$$ I'll probably just get a new fan/heatsink anyways (that was always the plan) and then overclock to what everyone else seems to be able to run ok at, i.e. 4800.00ghz... I already have six 120mm fans, and one 140mm fan in the case... They're Nexus fans in a Fractal Design R3 case, so it's actually pretty quiet.

Once I get the better video card (XFX Radeon 6870 Black Edition), I'd probably think the stock speeds will be plenty fast for me. I upgraded from a Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz + 2 gig of RAM laptop with a Geforce Go 7900 GS card onboard. Just having the 3.3ghz quad core i5 + 8 gig of ram + better video card will be fine in comparison.

kick is offline Senior Member

yeh Im a celeron 300a overclocked to 500 guy ,not the usual 300-450 overclock(depending on chip).
    I think it shortened the lifespan of the pc a bit but it was fun for a couple of years and the cooling fans werent much bigger than the cpu.
    Thats a 60%+ speed increase . I think intel realised their overengineering mistake.

Since then any base intel cpu's Ive seen released wont do much over 45% or as is more usual recently, a 1ghz speed increase.
    The 2000k cpus.2500k 3.3ghz standard(actually 3.3-3.7ghz standard) depending on your viewpoint needs work for air cooling systems to go in excess of 4.8 ghz max or even above 4.4-4.5 ghz.
    Check all h 67 /p67/z68 mbrd reviews from the major manufacturers and they get around 4.7-4.9 with reasonable equipment (air).
    Its like intel have finally sanctioned overclocks to a reasonable limit and have made it easy to get there .
    Now the last 10-20% is the hard bit on air and whether its worth the cost/benefit is hard to know,
    Id like to do tests on a intel standard cooler .vs an aftermarket cooler now just to see if the extra cost/performance benefit is worth it.
    Unfortunately the newest intel like cooler I have is 6 years old and even that one isnt standard.

(my 2500k and q8400 came as bare cpu's,no hs/fan bundled)
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information