Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: asrock x58 extreme 6 - 3.3 volt 3.3V under voltage

Default asrock x58 extreme 6 - 3.3 volt 3.3V under voltage

I am running a brand new asrock x58 extreme 6 with 12gb (6x2gb) corsair ddr3 1600mhz ram and i7-930 cpu. Dual ati 6950 gpus. No overclocking and only the ram got adjusted in the bios to the proper 1600mhz. I have an areca 1880ix-16 in the third pci express slot. My areca controller is beeping constantly as it is experiencing Ctrl 3.3V under voltage issues. Looking at its hardware monitor it is showing 3.088 volts when the pc is at idle and booted into windows. When the gpus are used at all the voltage decreases to the 3.05 range. In the bios it is slightly higher at 3.152 but that is still very low. The molex connector to the motherboard is plugged in. The power supply is plenty capable - corsair hx1000. Is there a bios setting or something else that may affect this? I did not see this problem with the prior asrock x58 extreme or evga ftw3. I never actually looked at the setting with those former boards though since they never gave the alarm.

I tried with and without the molex connector and there is no difference at all in the 3.3v line which may be expected. I have values of 1.12, 3.152, 5.208, and 12.619 without the motherboard molex power and with it I have 1.12, 3.152, 5.232, 12.724.
    Last edited by dirtrider; 07-09-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Default Re: asrock x58 extreme 6 - 3.3 volt 3.3V under voltage

Motherboard design is faulty. New one is exactly the same. 3.088 volts at idle upon booting to windows.
    Last edited by dirtrider; 08-01-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Sent asrock the following:

Hi,

I sent you guys an email a month ago and never heard back. I returned my new asrock extreme6 x58 motherboard to newegg in exchange for another which exhibits the EXACT same problem. Please respond as to resolution.

I posted a 1 star review on newegg and am posting this problem on hardforum, xtremesytems, overclock.net, and even the forums you reference for support. This is ridiculous and I expect a reply this time. I have wasted a lot of time and money over this.

Posted on newegg reviews:
    I have 2x ati 6950s and an areca 1880i controller on this board. I have tried 2 of these boards thinking that the first was defective. I can confirm in the bios that the 3.3V is far under spec on voltage. If I tax my gpus at all the 3.3V drops to about 3.056V which is way under the min 3.14V req by spec. Just booting to windows shows 3.088V at idle. It then causes the areca 1880i to drop out along with other system instability. I have tried the evga ftw3 board with no such problems. It is not my components. It is not the power supply as I have back probed it and it is exactly 3.3V and is the ultra reliable and powerful corsair hx1000. Bad board design. Beyond that after I sent all this info to asrock they never even reply. I bet they know by now but most aren't even aware of this problem.
    Very underperforming marvel 9128 sata 3 controller

Here is what I sent last time as never got a response for:
    “I am running a brand new asrock x58 extreme 6 with 12gb (6x2gb) corsair ddr3 1600mhz ram and i7-930 cpu. Dual ati 6950 gpus. No overclocking and only the ram got adjusted in the bios to the proper 1600mhz. I have an areca 1880ix-16 in the third pci express slot. My areca controller is beeping constantly as it is experiencing Ctrl 3.3V under voltage issues. Looking at its hardware monitor it is showing 3.088 volts when the pc is at idle and booted into windows. When the gpus are used at all the voltage decreases to the 3.05 range. In the bios it is slightly higher at 3.152 but that is still very low. The molex connector to the motherboard is plugged in. The power supply is plenty capable - corsair hx1000. Is there a bios setting or something else that may affect this? I did not see this problem with the prior asrock x58 extreme or evga ftw3. I never actually looked at the setting with those former boards though since they never gave the alarm. Do you think the voltage regulator is bad on this board and that I need to RMA it? That is my guess.

I tried with and without the molex connector and there is no difference at all in the 3.3v line which may be expected. I have values of 1.12, 3.152, 5.208, and 12.619 without the motherboard molex power and with it I have 1.12, 3.152, 5.232, 12.724.“ That is bios voltage. It decreases once booted into windows. 3.152 volts becomes 3.088. Taxing video cards it becomes 3.056. Totally unacceptable and unstable.
    Last edited by dirtrider; 08-01-2011 at 11:45 PM.

Sounds like a possible power supply issue.
    your 3.3v is under spec at idle,
    the 5v and 12v is over spec at idle.

Check your PSU voltages with a multimeter. You can get a cheap multimeter to do this.
    3.3v is hard to check, but you can check 5v and 12v.
    You should be reading close to 5.0v and 12.0v on the multimeter.

If not, you will need to get a new PSU or return the Corsair HX1000 if it's still under warranty.

I can easily back probe my 3.3v line which I did. I am a couple hundredths of a volt over the 3.3V. So the psu is perfect. Tested by checking all 3 orange lines to a black ground on the motherboard connector. It is the board not psu.

Wow...seriously you guys must be obstinate...no offense but it just plain isn't the power supply. Re-read what I wrote. Working with an asrock tech on it now.

Here's the latest to and from the asrock tech...

Now we’re getting somewhere. Work with me on this and we’ll get it figured out. 5 pics attached. All named comprehensibly.

Voltage at the mobo connector from the psu is 3.328V. Perfectly fine. Stays that way. All orange 3.3V cables tested. My corsair hx1000 is a trusty beast with no faults. I’ve also tried this exact setup with a new evga ftw3 with no such issues and otherwise exact same components. Just tried it a week ago so nothing changed in that time.

3.3V line is consistently low. First 3 pics show system as I want it configured. 2 ati 6950 cards and an areca 1880ix-16. 3.168V at idle. Drops below spec to 3.120V immediately when starting to tax video cards. As mentioned below I’ve had it down to 3.056V before.

Removing the areca 1880ix-16 saves some voltage but overall still really low. 3.216V at idle or 3.184V immediately after video cards start working.

Unfortunately I didn’t get screenshots of it as low as 3.056V and 3.088V as I’ve seen before. I’m having some issues with my internet tonight so I’m using my tethered phone. Can do more research later but I wanted to send what I have your way and see if you have some ideas. This is bad. I’d expect to see it way up around 3.3V or slightly over with nothing on it. As you can see just 2 video cards at idle drop it to min spec. Even in your pic the voltage is still low. Try it when pushing your video cards a bit. You’ll probably see it drop below as well. Also of note I wonder how many drives you had if any connected to your adaptec controller.

Of final note I see lower voltage both in my areca mcraid manager and in the cupid hardware manager than your octuner reads. If you look closely at the pictures you’ll see the OC tuner reads a few hundredths higher but that isn’t enough to worry about. The root issue is an overall very low 3.3V rail voltage. Bad voltage reg??? Keep in mind I thought I had a defective extreme6 and send it back to newegg and got a totally different board which I verified by serial so I have this same problem with both boards. Design flaw I think???

Finally, this was not an issue when I used your original x58 extreme board either.

Dan

Dear Dan;

I did not see the symptom here with below config. :

X58 Extreme6 P1.40
    HD 6970 *2 CrossFireX
    Adaptec PCI-E RAID card

Please refer to the attached picture 001
    As you may see, the H/W monitor in OC tuner shows the 3.3V is above 3.2V
    We also measure the voltage with eletric meter and the results is similar, please refer to the attached picture 002.

Please help check below details :
    1. Would the symptom occur with only 1 VGA card onboard? Or would the symptom occur with 2 VGA cards but without the 1180i controller?
    2. Please push the oragnge pins as pic003 shows, and see if the symptom occur.
    3. Since all 12V, 3.3V , 5V are directly from power supply, please ask the user to try with another PSU if possible.

Your Sincerely,
    ASRock America Support

Last edited by dirtrider; 08-04-2011 at 02:12 AM.

Hmm, now that you have tested the 3.3V lines with a MM ... sounds like a faulty mobo regulator. But strange that you got a replacement and it showed the same problem. Very strange.
    What's up with the 12v readings on CPUID Hardware Monitor? It's just wrong, and other voltages don't match OC Tuner either.

It's pain in the ass, but have you tried building your unit outside the case to eliminate a short cct?
    Build it at a minimum and keep adding parts till you see 3.3v drop to undesirable levels.

Sorry, can't think of anything else.

<edit, just noticed your CPU cooler>
    Is it a H60?
    Is your Corsair CPU cooler running off the mobo headers? Have you tried powering it off the PSU molex?
    Last edited by jayc72; 08-04-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Yes it is the H60.

Yes the fan (2) and pump is connected to the mobo headers. Why the question of direct off the molex? It doesn't use 3.3V right? Just 12V and 5V.

Oh and here's another even more interesting thing. Check the areca raid manager. It reads an even lower voltage. None of these voltages match and the areca is throwing alarms because it is the lowest. It shows 3.104 when the asrock octuner shows 3.168 and cpuid shows 3.15. This is a single 6950 card with the areca 1880ix-16. No load.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information