Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: installing secondary sound card?

Default installing secondary sound card?

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help me? I recently got a new PC with an ASRock N68C-S UCC motherboard that's got great 5.1 surround sound output but doesn't have any means of recording sound. I need my PC to be able to do this so, I attempted to install the Soundblaster card from my older PC. I was hoping to be able to somehow "switch" between this (for recording) and the original motherboard but I found that, as soon as the soundcard was installed, it completely subsumed the original settings and I wasn't able to get any sound out of the motherboard nor even access any settings for it. As it turned out, I couldn't get the drivers working properly on the older card either so, in the end, I just uninstalled the drivers, took the card out and the PC immediately switched back to how it was without any problems - i.e. 5.1 surround sound again but no means of recording.

Can anyone advise if it *is* at all possible to add extra sound cards and switch between them, or am I completely missing the point of how computers work? :)

Cheers

Default Re: installing secondary sound card?

If possible, in bios, set your onboard sound from "auto" or "default" to "enable".
    In windows, inside control panel choose the proper sound device (if more than one).

Thanks for the reply. Ok, in the CPU settings, I've set the HD Audio setting to "Enable" from "Auto". Will have another go at installing the sound card now...

As an aside, while I was in the BIOS, I noticed the "ASRock UCC" option was set to "Disabled" - will it make a difference if I Enable it at all..? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    As an aside, while I was in the BIOS, I noticed the "ASRock UCC" option was set to "Disabled" - will it make a difference if I Enable it at all..? :)
    ASRock UCC = Unlock CPU Core ?

I don't know how it may relate to sound problem!

ok, have now got both sound cards installed side by side with the ability to switch between both with ease. Job done! Thanks for all your help... :)

Quote Originally Posted by bahram_alinezhad View Post
    ASRock UCC = Unlock CPU Core? I don't know how it may relate to sound problem!
    It's a completely separate issue! I'm just wondering if it's ok/safe to do so..?

Thread Information