Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Z68 Extreme4 Randomly Freezes

Default Re: Z68 Extreme4 Randomly Freezes

I have now set my RAM voltage to 1.65v as recommended by the manufacture. Also as recommended by DaMan, my core voltage is now at 1.190v. I will keep you posted to let you know if this fixes things. Thank you all for your help!

Been about 2 weeks now since I set my core voltage to 1.190 as recommended by Da_Man and system has not frozen. So far this looks like this fixes the issue.

However I do hope AsRock will add this to a BIOS (or UEFI) build, this obviously is an issue affecting a lot of boards.

Thanks again!

Your symptoms are precicely what happens over here 2-3 times a day, only that I use an MSI Z68A-GD80 and it freezes regularly at low loads. Noone else seems to have this problem though I already had it with three different boards, one Asrock, one Gigabyte and the mentioned MSI.

Hardware:
    MSI Z68A-GD80
    i7-2600k
    4x4GB G-Skill Ripjaws 1333CL7
    2x500GB Seagate ST3500418 as RAID1
    1xCrucial m4 60GB SSD as Cache to the RAID1 though I disabled it while testing
    Geforce 460
    Enermax Liberty 500

my installed software:

./apps/7zip-9.20-win64.msi
    ./apps/Mozilla-Firefox-5.0.1.exe
    ./apps/UltraVNC-1.0.9.6.1-win64.exe
    ./driv/DaemonTools-4.40.2-0131-WinAll.exe
    ./driv/Intel-HECI-Managementengine-7.0.10.1203-WinAll.7z
    ./driv/Intel-INF-9.2.0.1030-WinAll.exe
    ./driv/Intel-RAID-10.6.0.1022-WinAll.exe
    ./driv/marvell-9128-sata3-ahci-1.0.0.1040-WinAll.7z
    ./driv/Microsoft-Intellimouse-Deu8.15.406.0-Win64.7z
    ./driv/MSI-ControlCenter-2.2.017.exe
    ./driv/Realtek-Ethernet.7z
    ./driv/Realtek-HDAudio-2.63-W7All.7z
    ./driv/Renesas-USB3-2.0.34.0-WinAll.7z
    ./sys/HardLinkShellExt-3.6.5.0-win64.exe
    ./sys/jre-6u26-windows-i586-s.exe
    ./sys/Windows764-InternetExplorer9.exe
    ./sys/Windows764-Servicepack1.exe
    ./sys/Windows-DirectX-201006.7z

A totally stupid but working fix: Run distributed.net all time in the background. The system did work stable for a whole week. Though it ran very hot and used waaaaay over 300W all time.

I had some success with setting many thing to conservative settings at the bios menu, e.g. disabling any c-state, disabling any powersavings, disabling any unused device, disabling overclocking - my system ran stable for three days but hey, it is not fun without sound and without USB. So I started to switch things on again until it crashed again, here a list:

-Audio on
    -Fancontrol on
    -USB3 on
    -Marvell SATA on
    -1394 on
    -2.LAN on
    ...running stable for 30 hours.
    -EuP2013 on
    -Spread Spectrum off
    ...running stable for 20 hours.
    -Execute Disable on
    -Virtualization on
    ...crashing after 6 hours.

I did leave off:
    -C-Modes
    -C1E-Mode
    -Any Powertechnology
    but the system wasn't stable with these on some weeks ago either so I didn't bother.

Interestingly the bios shows a slightly increased power consumtion after activating Execute-Disable and Virtualization... All in all I think voltage problems are a reasonable try and will set my cpu and memory voltage to the same values for a try. Also interesting, every program shows me voltages to be 0.05 to 0.1 below the configured value.

I'll keep you informed.

Your problems all relate to the idle voltage being supplied to the Sandy Bridge CPU during low load times.
    If you open CPU-Z and watch the voltage, it will drop during low load, since Sandy Bridge downclocks the CPU to 1600Mhz to conserve power.

If the voltage drops too low, say below 0.9v, your system becomes unstable.

With Sandy bridge CPUs, the v-core at idle is also as important at load.

Make sure you adjust "CPU core voltage" with either a fixed voltage for your particular speed and still maintain stability at load,
    or use offset voltage and ensure that you add voltage to "Offset Voltage" until idle voltage is above 0.98v.

This ensures your idle voltage will never drop below 0.95v. Anything below 0.95v starts to cause stability problems.
    Last edited by jayc72; 08-02-2011 at 08:14 AM.

The problem might be caused by the Etron USB 3.0 controllers and drivers, even if you dont use the USB 3.0 connectors. I have had random freezes when moving the mouse under light load, never under heavy load and i believe always when moving the mouse. I don not use the USB 3.0 connectors but still decided to disable USB 3.0 in UEFI and uninstall the Etron drivers (last version i tried was 0.104). I have not had one freeze after that.

I'm replying to this thread as I'm new to the forum (just provided link on IDE to AHCI/RAID) and dont know how to subscribe to this thread to track it (except by replying).

I have (had?) the same problem since building a Z68 Extreme4 system because my old P4D system was doing it very frequently (usually on a flash game or playing music). System would freeze with a buzz/squeal until I restarted.

Oddly I was then getting the same thing with completely new parts - only speakers, monitor, printer, usb combined wireless keyboard and mouse the same, hmm - so I put it down to a software issue with Win764bit clashing with something else.

The other day I increased the ram voltage up to 1.59v from my setting of 1.5v (2x4GB HyperX 1600 using Profile 1 1600 - no idea how to change settings for 1866+ even though read I can!)

If this doesnt resolve I'll try the other solutions mentioned, thanks.

I've recently got a hold of a Z68 Extreme4 and I'm having similar problems, but none of the above solutions seems to be working for me. Like the OP, I am getting no BSOD. Windows is freezing and acting as if all resources are being used. I can alt tab between programs usually and attempt t shut them down, but usually wind up freezing the system more. This is happening randomly, usually playing games, but occasionally doing random tasks while web browsing, opening folders, moving files or folders.

Let me run my system down first.

ASRock Z68 Extreme4
    Intel Core i5 2500K Sandybridge
    Kingston HyperX T1 DDR3 1600 (4 x 4GB)
    BFG GeForce GTX 275 OC (factory)
    Seagate 1.5 TB SATA II 7200
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000w

Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Windows installs without error. As far as I know, all my drivers are updated. I've tested my memory, and taken every stick out and tested them one at a time. I've ensured memory timings and voltages are factory spec (9-9-9-27 @ 1.65v). I set my cpu voltage to 1.190 as suggested above, but freezing still occurred. All the hardware save the video card is a month old. From all my reading, it seems like the voltage issue is common with this chipset, but I don't know how far I can push the testing too. I'm desperate here, and really want to get this resolved. Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by wazza300; 12-15-2011 at 06:14 AM.

Antonio,

I had a lot of problems with this MB. Several freezes per week, sometimes 2 or three in a day. Now I have hopefully fixed it, havn't had a freeze for 4 weeks now.
    To cure it, I went into the BIOS and set the following:
    1. Change Vcore from auto to fixed 1.325V (i have a i7 2600K running at 4.4GHz)
    2. Change Load Line Calibration from level 5 to level 3.
    3. Change DRAM voltage from auto to fixed 1.5V (this depends on the type of DRAMs you have)

Thats it! Seems stable now.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Luciano View Post
    I've recently got a hold of a Z68 Extreme4 and I'm having similar problems, but none of the above solutions seems to be working for me. Like the OP, I am getting no BSOD. Windows is freezing and acting as if all resources are being used. I can alt tab between programs usually and attempt t shut them down, but usually wind up freezing the system more. This is happening randomly, usually playing games, but occasionally doing random tasks while web browsing, opening folders, moving files or folders.

Let me run my system down first.

ASRock Z68 Extreme4
    Intel Core i5 2500K Sandybridge
    Kingston HyperX T1 DDR3 1600 (4 x 4GB)
    BFG GeForce GTX 275 OC (factory)
    Seagate 1.5 TB SATA II 7200
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000w

Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Windows installs without error. As far as I know, all my drivers are updated. I've tested my memory, and taken every stick out and tested them one at a time. I've ensured memory timings and voltages are factory spec (9-9-9-27 @ 1.65v). I set my cpu voltage to 1.190 as suggested above, but freezing still occurred. All the hardware save the video card is a month old. From all my reading, it seems like the voltage issue is common with this chipset, but I don't know how far I can push the testing too. I'm desperate here, and really want to get this resolved. Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you setting dram bus voltage to 1.65v? what imc voltage are you using? might need to set to 1.08-1.15v and test,you can also add voltage through voltage offset,a slight amount will add more to load and a slight amount to idle voltages,and cpu will still downlock unlike if you set a fixed voltage amount

be sure to use the latest bios aswell
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear all,

Please kindly update BIOS L1.60G or L1.60B from below link to try.
    Link: ASRock > Products > Motherboard > Z68 Extreme4 > Download

Thanks for your support!

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD
    Emily

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information