Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Restart Problems

Default ASRock P67 Extreme4 Restart Problems

First off hello, this is my first time posting here!

I just finished my first build went very smooth will post specs below. Although I have 1 problem and I believe it to be an issue with the ASRock P67 Extreme4. If I choose to shutdown my computer and then restart everything works fine, it proceeds through the ASRock boot screen, then the post is good get 1 beep and off into Windows 7 Pro 64 we go. On the flip side if I go into the UEFI and save and exit, or restart computer from windows itself, it will act as though its restarting, I get no screen of any kind but the Dr. Debug numbers appear to cycle, I get 1 beep as though the post was successful but then the Dr. Debug numbers disappear and I am left with all fans running, keyboard, mouse, etc are all powered like its stuck. I then hold the Shutdown button on my tower...and when i start it back up everything is great again besides it usually says "Windows did not shutdown properly" I always choose start normally and all is well.

This is a simple problem, I don't have to restart often just had to quite a bit during the initial drivers/software installs of the new build and noticed this happened every time I needed to change something in the bios or restart. Gladly awaiting any advice and thanks ahead of time.

Specs:
    ASRock P67 Extreme4
    Intel Core I7 2600K
    EVGA GTX 580
    2 x 4 GSkill Sniper (1600)
    1000watt CM Pro Gold
    OCZ Solid 3 SataIII 120 gig SSD

Default Re: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Restart Problems

/bump, still searching for an answer.

If I wasn't clear in my initial post, I will try and clear it up here.

Restarting from windows, or saving and exiting from the UEFI all results in "no display" but the computer seems to be moving through the post.
    After I get 1 beep the computer looks to be powered on (all fans, keyboard, mouse etc.) are all running but no display. If I manually power down, or choose to shutdown the computer fully from windows and restart, everything works as it should and computer runs great. Once again looking for any advice on UEFI settings etc.. thanks

Do you have any USB hard drives connected to your computer while you're experiencing these symptoms?

Thanks for replying gasman, I somehow have fixed my own problem although I am not all that sure how I did it. I do have a 1 TB external USB hard drive attached. Do you think that could of been an issue for some reason?
    I did make sure in my bios that the only bootable device was my ssd that never seemed to help. Since my first pose I have also upgraded my ssd's firmware and have no issues with restarting. Although I am still curious to hear back
    from you about the external USB HD, because if that is a known problem I wouldn't be surprised if that somehow was causing all this in the first place. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stunner1984 View Post
    Thanks for replying gasman, I somehow have fixed my own problem although I am not all that sure how I did it. I do have a 1 TB external USB hard drive attached. Do you think that could of been an issue for some reason?
    I did make sure in my bios that the only bootable device was my ssd that never seemed to help. Since my first pose I have also upgraded my ssd's firmware and have no issues with restarting. Although I am still curious to hear back
    from you about the external USB HD, because if that is a known problem I wouldn't be surprised if that somehow was causing all this in the first place. Thanks again.
    I am not sure if I was having the exact same issue as you but what would happen for me is that about 50% of the time that I tried to wake my computer from sleep it would turn on, the fans would run, there would be no display, and then the system would suddenly turn off. It would then turn back on and try again for a total of 3 times before completely shutting off. The other 50% of the time the system would turn on perfectly from sleep mode.

What seems to have solved the problem for me so far (has been working for the past 4 days, hope it keeps going! ) is that I went into Device Manager in Win7 and went to the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" menu and then went into the settings of all of the items that were marked "USB Hub" (there's 2x Generic USB Hub and 2x USB Root Hub), and went to the Power Management tab and unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

I suppose the problem I was having had something to do with the computer not giving enough power to the external drive when it tried to wake from sleep mode and that would cause the entire system to crash. After I changed this, I haven't experienced the issue again so far.

I hope this can help you out -- I can't begin to describe how much I searched google in vain for a fix to this problem and how many other things I've tried before this ended up working! Good luck!

Ya know that very well could have been it. I do remember the other day that I have to unplug my external for some reason and when I plugged it back in I wasn't exactly sure which one I had it in before, so I wonder if unknowingly its in a different port. I unchecked the same ones you said just as a precaution.

Still though I never have had a problem with waking from sleep, my problem was always restarting whether it be from bios, or windows restart. Maybe it was just a firmware bug and when I upgraded my ssd's firmware it fixed the issue because I haven't had any other problems.

On a lighter note, I too had the worst time googling this problem for one I had no idea which component was causing the issue. And the majority of the comments that I came across were all boot loop problems. Ahh well, I do appreciate all your responses...guess this is just my first build woes. I have learned a lot and would still like to know exactly what this problem was related too. I can't seem to find any issues of this on my OCZ SSD website either. Thanks again Gasman

Thread Information