Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock Z68 extreme 4 issues.

Default Asrock Z68 extreme 4 issues.

I am having such great difficulties getting smart reponse setup, that I don't know even where to start here. It is just one problem after another.

Ok to start, I made a mistake by installing my OS on my SSD.

So what I tried to do next was unplug my SSD and install the OS on my HDD, like the instructions say.

Next I try to set my HDD into "Raid", but when I reboot, windows will not start up correctly, and then I have to change it back to even get windows to boot up.

Is there any way I can just completely clean off my SSD and HDD and just start over from square 1 and try this again? For some reason I cannot figure out a way to do this with windows 7 or the ASrock Bios.

Why couldn't you guys just have an automatic setup for this on the driver disk to eliminate a headache for anyone trying to make use of this new technology?

This is my first computer build, and after this, it will be my last.

Default Re: Asrock Z68 extreme 4 issues.

Windows disables unused drivers for faster start up. Whether this is a good idea or not could be argued. Before giving up on your current install, here are some instructions about re-enabling raid drivers:

AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista - Windows 7 Forums

Quote Originally Posted by brukster View Post
    Windows disables unused drivers for faster start up. Whether this is a good idea or not could be argued. Before giving up on your current install, here are some instructions about re-enabling raid drivers:

AHCI : Enable in Windows 7 / Vista - Windows 7 Forums
    ***Edit, ok I got the system to where it recognizes both my HDD and SSD. But the question I got now, is how do I flash the updated Bios? I have the 1.60 Bios version on a jump drive but the screen shots that the instructions give, show a completely different Bios than the one I have on this board on start up, and I also don't see where to update it via a flash drive. By bios I assume you mean the settings where you hit (del) before it boots up to get in the menu with overclocking options, boot and etc?

Also do I need to install RAID drivers so my system can actually boot up when I change the file system to RAID to enable Intel Smart Caching?
    Last edited by accrow01; 07-25-2011 at 07:18 AM.

I'm using RAID with my z68 Extreme4. I have the Intel Rapid Storage Technology 10.5.0.1027 from the Asrock web site with BIOS 1.60. Not sure if that's an approved configuration but I have no issues currently. There is a newer version of the Intel RST available 10.6.0.1002, but I haven't tried it yet.

I have two Hitachi 1 terabyte drives in a RAID 1 array on the Intel SATA. I'm not using an SSD.

Instant flash is on the Advanced tab in the BIOS near the bottom of the page.

I'm using RAID with my z68 Extreme4. I have the Intel Rapid Storage Technology 10.5.0.1027 from the Asrock web site with BIOS 1.60. Not sure if that's an approved configuration but I have no issues currently. There is a newer version of the Intel RST available 10.6.0.1002, but I haven't tried it yet.

I have two Hitachi 1 terabyte drives in a RAID 1 array on the Intel SATA. I'm not using an SSD.

Instant flash is on the Advanced tab in the BIOS near the bottom of the page.
    The Bios flashed to 1.60.

But my PC wont install Intel RST, says my PC don't meet the minimum specs, but it should.

I googled and found something that might be the problem. I don't think it would hurt to try the following.

At the top of this thread, you changed the registry value of the MSAHCI key Start value from 3 to 0. There are, or might be, two other values in that same registry area, iastor and iastorV. Look at the value of Start in each of these. If it's 3, try changing it to 0.

Also, you are hopefully already running in AHCI mode.

http://communities.intel.com/message/131181
    Last edited by brukster; 07-25-2011 at 11:53 AM.

I googled and found something that might be the problem. I don't think it would hurt to try the following.

At the top of this thread, you changed the registry value of the MSAHCI key Start value from 3 to 0. There are, or might be, two other values in that same registry area, iastor and iastorV. Look at the value of Start in each of these. If it's 3, try changing it to 0.

Also, you are hopefully already running in AHCI mode.

The service Intel RST is not running: Intel Communities
    I already did that, I need to enable RAID drivers. And the intel smart storage says my PC doesn't meet the minimum specs, because I don't have the RAID drivers installed. I tried reinstalling windows which was supposed to give me the option of installing RAID drivers, but it didn't. Anyway I give up, this is more headache than its worth. I wish I just purchased a high end OEM instead of building my own. I would have gladly paid $200-$300 extra to just have to go through this headache.

Thread Information