Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Any to fix the "default IDE" problem on a Z68 extreme 4?

Default Any to fix the "default IDE" problem on a Z68 extreme 4?

This is causing my PC to keep powering down if I change the Board Bios settings on the storage to anything other than IDE. If I leave the settings on IDE in the bios, it boots up just fine and runs windows or whatever no problems. But I don't want IDE, I want RAID 0.

I took my rig in to a tech store for a free diagnostic, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with anything else on my PC, so it has to be this board. And is there a way to solve this issue? Or should I just send it back for another one?

Pretty sure this is an ASrock only issue because the guy at the tech store says he never seen anything like that happen on other boards.

And how common of a problem is this? Are chances very likely for this to happen if I get another board? And I noticed this only started happening after I switched to the latest bios version. Can ASrock really afford to get boards RMA'd back because it could be a glitch in their Bios version? Has anyone even looked into this? Because the default Bios, I was able to switch it to AHCI mode with no problems, and only after I flashed it to 1.60 (successfully) it started doing this.

Default Re: Any to fix the "default IDE" problem on a Z68 extreme 4?

For raid 0 and ahci,you have to set it in the bios BEFORE installing win7,if you don't it will crash everytime
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So how do you get intel smart response technology working on this board? Because it requires you to change it over to raid in the bios after you set it up. If I am using one HDD and one SSD do I use raid 0? Or do I have to use another for smart response?

And I never setup raid before, how to I configure it in the settings? Or do I just use the default settings?

I also have no idea on how to flash the RAID drivers on windows 7, I followed the instructions, but it will not read the data from my USB drive, nor does it give me an F6 option like it does in vista prior to installation, and nowhere goes into any specifics on how to do this either, they just say load the drivers on a clean install of windows using a USB drive. Also one time the bios asked me for a floppy disk with the drivers, I tried to plug in my USB and it says 1.44mb floppy only, which almost nobody even uses anymore. At no point in time during the Windows 7 installation does it give you the option or even let you know if you want to install XX drivers, insert USB or etc. And if it fails to read the USB then you just have to reinstall windows again? How the hell do you make it read the USB?

I have yet to find a comprehensive guide that tells you how to do every detail of every single step you need to do to get this working properly on this board. Something as complex as this, ASrock needs to make a better guide to avoid confusion, because on a 1-10 scale this is an 11 on the confusion meter. I am about ready to just RMA this back and buy a gigabyte board that I know I can set this up on without even 1/10th the hassle.

The ASrock guide tells you what to do but doesn't give any information on how to do it. I need specifics, because this is a new technology, or I will never get this working.

This is seriously a nightmare trying to get this working, I really need some help here.

And why would anyone set the board to default back to IDE?
    Last edited by accrow01; 07-29-2011 at 07:12 AM.

You don't need any raid or ahci drivers on a Usb stick for Windows 7,just select either raid or ahci then install win7 and it will find/install the drivers you need

Not sure on smart response,but I think its just designed for one hdd/ssd,for raid you usually need 2 drives
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

accrow,

You need to change the SATA controller to RAID in bios.
    If you installed windows when the SATA controller was set to "IDE" in cios, then you will either need to reinstall windows 7 with the SATA controller set to RAID,
    or
    use the registry edit that trenzterra posted, and then change the SATA controller to RAID at the next reboot.

Then follow the steps in this link to set up Intel SRT.
    http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Inte...ndex.asp?c=SRT

Easy.

Thread Information