Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z68 Extreme4 - System freezes, no BSOD

Default Z68 Extreme4 - System freezes, no BSOD

Hey folks,

Like some others have reported, my system is prone to seemingly random hang-ups, typically 2-3/day. Unlike some others, I don't get BSODs, the system simply stops responding. When I hit the reset button, the system will do nothing for about 15 seconds and then power off and, after another 5 seconds, power back on. The hang-ups frequently occur while the system is "idle" or under very light load (eg, while surfing the net) but can also occur while gaming. My temps are good (idles at under 30c and under extreme load only gets to 50), memory has been tested (memtest86+ for several hours) and Prime95 ran without problems for 2 hours.

Have tried updating the bios to 1.60, clearing cmos, booting with only 1 mem stick, etc, etc, etc, all to no avail. Like those reporting in the BSOD thread nothing seems to resolve the problem. This is my 2nd Extreme4 MB (the first one had problems with both HDMI and DVI outputs) and I'm reaching the end of my patience with Asrock. Must say that tech support has responded to me in reasonable time.

Does anyone else get random freezes? I am going to try upping the CPU voltage as suggested in the BSOD thread (though, evidently, without much success) but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My system is (all parts are brand new):
    Z68 Extreme4 - BIOS at 1.60
    i7-2600K - not overclocked
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ stock 1600 9-9-9-24-2T (tried both 1x4GB and 4x4GB configs)
    Corsair AX850 power supply
    2xWDC 500GB Caviar Black disk connected to Intel SATA3 port (also tried with only 1 drive)
    OS is WinXP 32 bit, SP3 (yeah, I know it's old but I need to support it)
    Lite-On DVD burner connected to SATA2 port
    USB keyboard and mouse (tried various keyboards/mice)
    HP LP2475w monitor (have tried DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort inputs)
    Using onboard video - no separate graphics card installed

Default Re: Z68 Extreme4 - System freezes, no BSOD

I've had this exact same issue with my Z68 Extreme4 board. One of the fine folks here told me to set my core voltage to 1.190v. It's been over 2 weeks and I have not had an issue. Though I hope this issue will be resolved with further BIOS (or UEFI) updates.

Speaking of BIOS, when you update your BIOS the system seems to lose all your settings, meaning you'll have to go back in and reset the core voltage again. Best of luck to you!

Build
    Case - CM 912
    CPU - i5-2500k (not overclocked, using on-board graphics)
    Motherboard - Z68 Extreme4 (BIOS 1.60)
    RAM - 8GB PNY XLR8 @1333
    PSU - 650watt Antec Earthwatts
    Hard Drive - Seagate 1Tb @ 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s
    OS - Win 7 Professional 64bit

Default Re: Z68 Extreme4 - System freezes, no BSOD

Risto,

Thanks for the update (on both threads, I had totally forgotten about the previous one!). It's good to know that others have experienced the same problem; it sort of reduces the chance that the problem is with my memory or CPU.

I am currently running at 1.2 volts (CPU-Z reports voltages between 1.184 and 1.192) and CPU Load Level set to 3. Only using 1 stick of ram right now, will increase to 4 if this is stable. Maybe I'll drop down to 1.19v too.

I have another 14 days, give or take, to determine if I will return the board. Hopefully it will be stable and Asrock will come up with a BIOS fix.

Thanks again.

Thread Information