Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: [ASRock Z68 Pro Gen3]: Unable to get out of UEFI setup and boot to disk. (Boot loop?)

Default [ASRock Z68 Pro Gen3]: Unable to get out of UEFI setup and boot to disk. (Boot loop?)

As the title says, I have an ASRock Z68 Pro Gen3 mobo in the PC that I am currently putting together. First boot was fine, went to Windows installation, installed Windows, and rebooted. At this point, it sent me to the Fatal1ty UEFI Setup Utility. I browsed around (love this setup utility) and decided to leave thing standard while I set up the system. Click save and exit, and 5 seconds later, I'm at the UEFI Setup Utility. I've been trying for hours now to find what is going on, both with the system and online, and have been unsuccessful. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be GREATLY appreciated; I've waited a long time for all these parts to come in and finally getting a chance to put this PC together today was great, and being stuck at this point of all points is extremely frustrating. Thanks again!

Default Re: [ASRock Z68 Pro Gen3]: Unable to get out of UEFI setup and boot to disk. (Boot lo

Well, one thing I changed was the setting from IDE to AHCI, and I got out of the setup utility; however now it is trying to boot in to windows, and is BSOD'ing so fast I cannot read what is wrong. I've gotten to a screen (while having the system disk in the drive) that states "Now preparing your system for first use" and as soon as I see that image the system boots, and loops. Sorry about the fairly newbie-ish questions... I know enough to feel comfortable building PCs, but getting one running seems to be quite the other task these days.

Default Re: [ASRock Z68 Pro Gen3]: Unable to get out of UEFI setup and boot to disk. (Boot lo

Ok, I cleared CMOS, it went back to the utility (as expected). I then reset it from IDE to AHCI, saved, and exited. Now I'm stuck in the UEFI Setup Utility boot loop again. Sorry if this has been answered or if I'm not providing enough information. This is slightly above my experience level. If there is any other pertinent information I can give please let me know and I'll get it. Thanks for any help.

EDIT: More info that I saw someone else offer in another post:

i7-2600K @ 3.4 GHz
    g skill ddr3-1600 4gb x2
    intel 510 SSD
    nvidia geforce gtx 590
    antec 850w PSU
    IDE Optical drive
    currently stock heatsink while I wait for the Noctua.

Everything is correctly powered; 8 pin for the socket; 24 pin for the board; 8 pin x2 for the card. SSD and optical drive powered... I'm at a loss.
    Last edited by Deadhand; 08-10-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Windows can't find the boot drive since you installed with IDE and later switched to AHCI. If you don't feel you have a lot invested, you should set it to AHCI and reinstall. It should boot with IDE set even now.

You could reactivate the disabled AHCI drivers in the Windows registry but it is a bit of a pain.

Oh interesting. I wouldn't have guessed that, thank you. I'll have to check that out tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be back so I'll let you know.

Dear Deadhand,

As soon as booting your system, please enter "F11" to boot menu to check whether the system can recognize your HDD and ODD or not.

If not, please kindly refer to below suggestions for testing.
    1. Install your HDD to other SATA ports to try.
    2. Change other SATA cables to try.
    3. Only install SSD to check whether the system can recognize your HDD or not.
    4. Only install ODD to check whether the system can recognize your ODD or not.
    5. If possible, please kindly change other HDD to check whether the symptom still occur.

If the problem still cannot be solved, please kindly contact your local dealer to check your system.
    Thanks for your support.

Have a nice day
    ASRock TSD Emily

I really had nothing invested, so all I wanted to do was format the SSD and set it to AHCI and do a proper install... wow that was a pain in the ass! Nothing to do with the mobo at this point, but I've never realized what a pain switching from IDE to AHCI is if you don't do the installation first. Of course, during this process (DURING) my optical drive died on me, so I had to pinpoint that problem... haha. Oh well, thanks again for your help, and now I know to set storage settings before the storage is hooked up and installations are flying about... =)

iv got this board.. im running 3x ssd in raid 0= ok getting 840mb/sec (hdtach)

musk crus deluxe sata 2 ssd (280mb/sec)

raid 128k raid.. (port 0+1+2 (the 2 sata 3 + 1 sata 2 port ) intel ports

iv got ot dual booting(alighned) xp 40g(rest win7 64bit) (main os)

Thread Information