Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z68 Extreme4 Strange boot problem, BIOS or not?

Default Z68 Extreme4 Strange boot problem, BIOS or not?

I have a strange boot problem that stumps me. When i installed Win 7 64-bit on my SSD, i had also my internal HDD connected to the system. This caused Win install to dump the System Reserved partition on the HDD instead of on the SSD where the rest of the system is. I did not like that so i disconnected the HDD, booted from the install disk and made a startup repair, which created the System Reserved partition on the SSD. I then hot plugged the HDD and removed the old System Reserved partition on the HDD. Everything for Windows (System and System Reserved partition) is now on the SSD and the system should no longer be dependent on HDD for startup.

However, it still is. The problem is that the MB cannot find a bootable system unless the HDD is present in the disk list under UEFI boot menu, which means that the system is still dependent on the HDD for boot, even though everything for Windows is on the SSD. I suspected that something was wrong with my boot record on the SSD and tried to fix this with bootrec.exe (commands /FixMbr, /FixBoot and /RebuildBcd). No change, the HDD must still be present in the list of boot disks in order for the MB to find a bootable system. What i would like to be able to do is to set the second boot HDD to disabled.

I do not know how fix this so that system startup is not dependent on the HDD. Is there still something wrong with my MBR, or is there some problem with the BIOS that causes this?

I hope someone can help!

kick is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Z68 Extreme4 Strange boot problem, BIOS or not?

When installing initially u need to make the ssd a system disk, or the hdd or both for simplicity.
    you need a 100mb system "reserved" partition on the ssd, thats created when u install windows.

If you right click on "computer" then click on management then clik on storage ,you can see how your disks are set up and their partitions.

I installed the os twice,once on the hdd, once on the ssd.For product verification its recognised as the same system.
    I have the full os on both,altho a smaller swap file size on my ssd,so can boot from either.

Booting on the ssd and opening the rst IastorUI my ssd is shown as the system disc and the hdd isnt .Conversely booting with the hdd and opening IastorUI the hdd is seen as the system disc and the ssdi snt.
    It does entail ,having to do seperate updates when changing to the other disk as boot , but aside from that I dont have any problems.

I mean do a clean install ,for the way you want it,messing around with moving system reserved partitions from one disc to another..I dont know maybe its commonly done but when installing I remember making sure that my hdd wasnt connected ,as windows tends to put the system reserved portion on the largest available disc by default.. I remember reading articles at the time but I dont have the links now.
    Last edited by kick; 08-12-2011 at 11:27 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Hi Kick,

The SSD contains 2 partitions, "System Reserved" (no assigned drive letter on this one), and C: named "System On SSD"
    The HDD also contains 2 partitions, E: named "User Data", and F: named "Storage". I should mention that the HDD is a 3TB barracuda XT formatted as a GPT disk.

When checking in Disk Management:
    Partition System Reserved has status System, Active, Primary Partition.
    Partition System On SSD has status Boot, Crash Dump, Primary Partition.
    Partition User Data has status Page File, Primary Partition.
    Partition Storage has status Primary Partition.

As far as i understand this is as it should be, so why canīt i remove the HDD from the boot list in UEFI?

How do i check what MBRīs there are on the disks and how do i check which one is used during boot?

I dont know if there is anything wrong with your mbr or not.
    Under Windows Vista and Windows 7, the Recovery Environmentcan be used to write new MBR code using the <code style="font-family: monospace, 'Courier New'; background-color: rgb(249, 249, 249); ">bootrec /FixMbr</code> command. Some third-party utilities may also be used for directly editing the contents of partition tables (without requiring any knowledge of hexadecimal or disk/sector editors), such as MBRWizard.

Then again what ure doing isnt really recovery,The system was working ok, uve just changed the locations of certain sectors?.

Personally since registry keys may also be affected,I would go for the clean install on the ssd.
    The problem from your end I suppose is having a lot of applications on your hdd that wont be "seen" and would have to be reinstalled.
    I wouldnt think its a bios problem as such.
    I dont know enough about the inticacies of moving the "system reserved"100mb portion to another disc from where it was originally installed and rereferencing windows to use that .
    The hdd being larger than 2 tb,perhaps that has some effect also.
    Attached Images Attached Images Z68 Extreme4 Strange boot problem, BIOS or not?-ssd-os-jpg 
    Last edited by kick; 08-13-2011 at 08:02 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

this is using hdd as boot(either easily selectable in bios.)
    Attached Images Attached Images Z68 Extreme4 Strange boot problem, BIOS or not?-hdd-os-jpg 
    Current Systems:

Thread Information