Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Asrock Z68 Fatal1ty - Need to enable SATA3 Ports, after OS installed

Default Asrock Z68 Fatal1ty - Need to enable SATA3 Ports, after OS installed

Dual-booting Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and Windows XP Pro 32bit using boot loader Bootit Bare Metal. So, I have Win 7 Ultimate booting from SSD, and Win XP booting from WD 640GB 7200rpm HD.

Problem: I now realize my SATA3_A1, SATA3_A2, SATA3_A3, SATA3_A4 ports are useless and not detected. I did not do the drivers before my Windows installs. I didn't have a functional floppy drive then anyway to f6 from (I do now). I have no interest in RAID. All my drives will be set to IDE. I just want to be able to plug drives into those SATA3 ports and have them recognized and useful.

Is there a way to get those ports visible and functional without having to reinstall both OS's? It is early on, so I can reinstall if there is no other way to get the ports enabled so I can use them.

Default Re: Asrock Z68 Fatal1ty - Need to enable SATA3 Ports, after OS installed

I thought all the ports looked the same in IDE mode. Did you plug a drive in and it didn't work?

Default Re: Asrock Z68 Fatal1ty - Need to enable SATA3 Ports, after OS installed

I plug a drive into any of those 4 SATA3 ports in my original post. The drive does not show in UEFI Bios no matter what settings I change (my other drives on other ports do). The drive does not show in Bootit Bare Metal boot loader management screen. When I boot into OS, drive does show in Windows Disk Management. Cannot format drives or manage partitions in OS when using Bootit Bare Metal - all has to be done in Bootit's management screen.

I've searched and found a couple of threads in other forums where people with Asrock Boards had the problem, but they didn't go into detail about the solution.

Those 4 ports are the Marvell controller. Not sure if it's called that under Storage Configuration.

Yes. From the manual:
    ----"ASMedia ASM1061 chipset that supports Serial ATA3 (SATA3) hard
    disks for SATA3_A1 to SATA3_A4 connectors. You may install SATA3 hard disks on
    this motherboard for internal storage devices. This section will guide you to install
    the SATA3 hard disks.
    STEP 1: Install the SATA3 hard disks into the drive bays of your chassis.
    STEP 2: Connect the SATA power cable to the SATA3 hard disk.
    STEP 3: Connect one end of the SATA data cable to the motherboard’s SATA3 connector.
    STEP 4: Connect the other end of the SATA data cable to the SATA3 hard disk."----

I don't know. There is an option to create Asmedia driver floppy disk to f6 drivers. But, on the drivers CD, there is also Asmedia SATA3 driver that you just install via Windows installer from the CD after installing windows.

From the instructions above, sounds like you just hook up your SATA drives and go. But that isn't working for these 4 ports. I'm doing something wrong, just not sure what. Maybe you have to f6 the Asmedia driver files from the floppy disk AND install the drivers from the CD. Would really like to find a way I can put drives on those 4 SATA3 ports that doesn't involve reinstalling both OS's.

I wish i could try that configuration. My Extreme4 has a Marvell controller. I will try connecting a drive to it tomorrow and see if the BIOS reports drives on the secondary controller. I assume it would but it would be nice to confirm that. Not sure if that would be meaningful for your different mb/bios though.

In the bios under Storage Configuration, this secondary controller is set to IDE and not disabled? Pretty sure IDE would be the default. At least the manual says so.

Thanks. My understanding is the Asmedia controller is the Marvell controller. Everywhere I have an option to set something to IDE, I have it set to IDE. I do see the missing SATA drives in Windows device manager, disk management once I boot into Windows; I just don't see the drives in BIOS. As Bootit Bare Metal takes its cues from BIOS, that explains why I also don't see the drives in the Bootit Bare Metal menus or screens, which is the real pain as that's where I do my partition work, backups, etc.

So, my not so elegant temporary solution is:

1. unplug the SATA cable of the SATA drives I can't see in the 4 invisible SATA3 ports,
    2. move the drive SATA cable to one of the SATA2 ports that work fine;
    3. boot up and now the drive is visible in BIOS and, more importantly in my boot loader Bootit Bare Metal
    4. partition the drive in Bootit Bare Metal (not supposed to use Windows utilities for formatting per the settings I have chosen in Bootit Bare Metal)
    5. power down
    6. Move the SATA cable from the SATA2 port back to one of the invisible SATA3 ports
    Boot up, and now the drive is visible in both Windows XP and Windows 7 Ult installations. Just have to do that for all the SATA drives, and unless I figure something else out the drives in those 4 SATA3 ports will be functional in Windows but will just never be visible in BIOS or Bootit Bare Metal menu, which sort of sucks as I use Bootit for 2 reasons: multi-boot and imaging drives. Can still do it, but will have to be moving SATA cables from port to port.

You would think there would be another solution in 2011 to get SATA drives visible in BIOS than f6-ing drivers via floppies. Oh well, guess it's my fault for not f6-ing those drivers BEFORE installing Windows!
    Last edited by roscolo; 08-28-2011 at 05:04 PM.

SOLVED - Just playing around and got it to work.
    In the UEFI BIOS:
    Go to - Advanced, then Storage Configuration,
    -"Asmedia SATA3 Mode" should be IDE (had that right)
    -Changed "Asmedia SATA3 Bootable" to YES

Now when I boot I see a screen that detects the SATA drive attached to the SATA3_A3 port. Drive still doesn't show in UEFI BIOS, but that doesn't matter because the drive does show in the Bootit Bare Metal menu (which is BIOS based) and I can format, backup, and image from there.

Success. The Z68 Fatal1ty Pro board is great, BTW. Set up, drivers, install, everything was a breeze and works great.

Glad you got it working. I did check my BIOS finally. If I attach a drive to the Marvell controller, I cannot see it inside the BIOS Storage Configuration screen. I didn't have a bootable partition on it, so I can't say whether it might have shown up in the boot section of the BIOS. If I plug the drive into the Intel Sata ports, the BIOS Storage Configuration does show me the drive identification there.

Some boot managers hide partitions that haven't been explicitly declared to the boot manager. Maybe that is what you are experiencing.

I realized that I had a Linux system on an old drive, so I grabbed that and set the Marvell to bootable. The Marvell option ROM then does run during BIOS startup and it briefly gives a self identifier, and also shows the drive identification. The asrock BIOS then starts and writes the full screen UEFI bios. Under Storage Configuration, the Asrock BIOS does not enumerate drives attached to the Marvell controller.

In the BIOS Boot menu, the drive on the Marvell does show up as a selectable boot drive. It looks like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images Asrock Z68 Fatal1ty - Need to enable SATA3 Ports, after OS installed-110828151350-jpg 
    Last edited by brukster; 08-29-2011 at 06:25 AM. Reason: one last thing

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum, and relatively new to PC building. This is only my second build, and so far it has gone about 90% well.
    I'm having the same problem getting my HDD to show up in BIOS or Windows. I originally had both my optical drive and data drive on the Asmedia SATA 3 ports. Installing windows was a bit hard without a dvd drive, so I switched the optical drive to SATA 2, no problems. I would really like my data drive on the SATA 3, but are unable to make that works so far.

I tried all the steps talked about earlier in this post, and still having no luck. If I set it to IDE and bootable I AM able to see it in the BIOS, but not in Windows.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help!

Specs:
    Corsair 650D
    Asrock Z68 pro gen 3
    I5-2500K
    G-skill Ripjaw 8G 2133
    EVGA GTX-580
    2 x OCZ 60G SSD in raid 0
    Seagate Baracuda 7200 rpm (1TB)
    Corsair H100 push/pull config
    ABS Majesty 1100W PSU
    LG DVD drive

Thread Information