Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ Motherboard Hangs

Question ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ Motherboard Hangs

I just purchased the ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ Motherboard, put in G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    memory and an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz and installed Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.

After "some time" (it varies from time to time), usually less than an hour, it will hang (screen will freeze, no response from keyboard or mouse, the only way out is to reset). I've built a lot of systems over the years and this is the first time I've had one hang like this. I ran OCCT 3.1 to check the video (runs fine) and the CPU (also runs fine), and I tried Memtest86 4.0 to check out the memory and that seems to find no errors. Next I'll check the Seagate Barracuda Green ST1000DL002 1TB 5900 RPM drive I installed as the system disk.

Any suggestions as to where I should look next as to what is causing this freeze? I know it's not necessarily the MB, but I was hoping someone here would have hints as to where I should look next. Again, I've NEVER had a system freeze like this before. It's rather strange.

Default Re: ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ Motherboard Hangs

Heat problem can cause this. Please use the system in a cooler place and check.

Arrow Re: ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ Motherboard Hangs

I am monitoring the various temperatures and even when the graphics card is being stressed (by OCCT), it does not go above 65 C. When it is just sitting there, the various core temperatures are around 39C and when OCCT stresses the cores, they don't get much above 55C. Are there other temperatures I should be monitoring? The case is sitting on the desk next to me in an AC'ed room. None of the temperatures that show up on the various programs I've used to test the thing get very high.

Thanks for the idea. I just can't think of a cooler place to put the computer, other than the fridge (and the wife might get upset at that one).

Since you said it occurs after some time, my first guess was heat problem because this is the thing rising gradually.
    Install a different OS, I suggest XP 32bit and new set of drivers.
    If you still experience problems, It comes probably from hardware, else, from software. For the former, try to change some components in this order: fan of CPU, Graphic-Card, RAM and HARD. For the latter, try update drivers or install patches/updates of OS.
    You may say you know the above procedure; but, really there is no other way to find the problem other than diagnosing components one by one.
    Good Luck.
    Last edited by bahram_alinezhad; 09-03-2011 at 06:35 AM.

Sadly, I don't have access to a version of Win 7 32 bit. I only purchased the 64 bit version (which is what is running on all my other computers).

I will continue to try other things. Thanks for your response.

Question Re: ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ Motherboard Hangs

Quote Originally Posted by bahram_alinezhad View Post
    Heat problem can cause this. Please use the system in a cooler place and check.
    I used a program called "CPUID Hardware Monitor" and found one high temperature. Under the heading of the Motherboard, there are three temperatures, two of which are in "reasonable" ranges while the last one (labeled AUXTIN) is sitting at 99 C and climbs to 100C. Now that looks bad, but what is "AUXTIN" and why would it be so high?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug4.7 View Post
    Sadly, I don't have access to a version of Win 7 32 bit.
    I suggested *XP* 32bit to be different in both flavor and arch. If you can't borrow such CD to test a few days, instead, you can use linux (or even a live linux cd/dvd); Linux is always available in 64bit too. However, by that, you can only test the stability of your hardware; You can't use windows drivers there to test and find which driver is bad! If you see you have deadlocks in linux desktop too, make sure something is bad with your hardware (e.g. high temperature). Else, focus on trying different drivers or configurations inside your Windows OS.
    Last edited by bahram_alinezhad; 09-05-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug4.7 View Post
    but what is "AUXTIN" and why would it be so high?
    I'm sorry I don't know about that program. But it doesn't seem reasonable a temperature of 100ْ C! Use other programs to compare; E.g. "Sisoft Sandra" or any other system information utility.

Arrow Re: ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ Motherboard Hangs

In the BIOS, there is only listings for TWO temperatures (system and CPU), which seem to correspond to the other two temperatures "CPUID Hardware Monitor" finds. None of the other programs I have find that AUX temperature and a search on-line is inconclusive (some say it's a "real" temperature, others day it is not).

I will go for a dual boot Linux and see what happens. I was going to run Linux on the old computer, but with this problem, I will try it here.

Question Re: ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ Motherboard Hangs

Quote Originally Posted by bahram_alinezhad View Post
    I'm sorry I don't know about that program. But it doesn't seem reasonable a temperature of 100ْ C! Use other programs to compare; E.g. "Sisoft Sandra" or any other system information utility.
    I am wondering if that is a "real" temperature. When I run Sandra, the T is 85 C. When I run Sandra AND CPUID Hardware Monitor, BOTH show a T of 85 C. When I close Sandra, the CPUID Hardware Monitor T jumps to 98 C. When I restart Sandra, it drops back to 85 C. That can't be real.

After further review, I see more hints that it is not a real temperature. The value will jump from 68 C to 98 C and then back (or to other "random" numbers).
    Last edited by Doug4.7; 09-06-2011 at 01:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information