Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Best Practice Setup ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen 3

Default Best Practice Setup ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen 3

Hi guys - I'm new here and also to ASRock. I've setup systems before but it has been about 2 years since I last dabbled in setup and overclocking, etc. I decided to go for the new ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen 3 (chose it over a Gigabyte board because of all the ports and the PCI 3.0 compatibility) and am quite excited to get to work on Monday when it arrives, as well as my Crucial 128GB SSD Sata3 6GB/s HD - and I can probably buy a second if it's worth getting a pair. And that's where the problem lies. I am a complete neophyte when it comes to these new Z68 mobos and the new SSD benefits that Intel has provided. I read about caching but I'm going to use the SSD for the startup and primary programs. A couple of questions:

(1) Is there any benefit to going RAID with 2 SSD drives for the startup? Does it matter if I just use 1 SSD for startup (I'll image an install for backup) instead - which will use AHCI and is supposedly faster - or is it? I'll get the second SSD if there is really some significant benefit.

(2) I have an extra SataII SSD 32GB drive that I can use as scratch (3GB/s) or just a disk to place large audio/video files I'd want to manipulate. Is there any benefit with the SSD or will I be better off with a 6GB/s mechanical drive?

(3) RAM speed will affect setup too. I bought on sale a nice four pack of Corsair Vengeance 4GB 12800 (1066) RAM.

Can anyone give me or lead me to some instructions that is a best practices guide for installing Windows 7? There are many options, especially if you intend to use SSD as a startup for this board. Would be MUCH appreciated and look forward to contributing more here.

I'm going to move my two blu-ray burners, keep my PSU, beautiful Aurora case and apply the upgrades. Can't wait but want to do it right. :)

Default Re: Best Practice Setup ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen 3

If you set up 2SSD in RAID 0 using the onboard Intel SATA3 the speed would be terrific, much faster than using one SSD as system disk.

BTW, if you get Crucial M4, try to update the firmware to ver.9 since the speed is about 20-25% faster than the old firmware.

Well, for the corsair memory do you mean 1600??

Default Re: Best Practice Setup ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen 3

Quote Originally Posted by dolpli View Post
    BTW, if you get Crucial M4, try to update the firmware to ver.9 since the speed is about 20-25% faster than the old firmware.
    Props Never even considered to do this!

Thread Information