Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Ex 4 Gen 3: Fans on but no post, no Dr. Debug, nada!

Default ASRock Ex 4 Gen 3: Fans on but no post, no Dr. Debug, nada!

I've built a couple of systems in my time but this one has me stumped - unless it's just a bad board. I was excited to put together the ARock z68 Extreme 4 Generation 3 with an SSD drive, 16Gb of RAM, etc. Really great gear, including 2 SATA3 1.5TB hard drives.

I connected just the basics but when I turn it on, all the fans go on but there is no post. There is an LED there (Dr. Debug) but even that doesn't turn on. I yanked out all the RAM - same thing. Yanked out all the drive data cables - same thing. Typically a board would provide a warning or beep with an LED code - nothing. CPU in CPU Fan 1 - Check. Have any of you guys seen this? I had an Abit IP35 Pro with the LED and that baby just worked right out of the box and darn reliable. Not sure what's wrong with this one...

Perhaps some of you guys could give me some insight. It's definitely not the PSU - 750 Watt Antec Gamer which could light up a forest of Xmas trees. Anyone have an idea they can send? :) Hope it's not a bad board... it's so pretty in the case...

Default Re: ASRock Ex 4 Gen 3: Fans on but no post, no Dr. Debug, nada!

Quote Originally Posted by slink View Post
    I've built a couple of systems in my time but this one has me stumped - unless it's just a bad board. I was excited to put together the ARock z68 Extreme 4 Generation 3 with an SSD drive, 16Gb of RAM, etc. Really great gear, including 2 SATA3 1.5TB hard drives.

I connected just the basics but when I turn it on, all the fans go on but there is no post. There is an LED there (Dr. Debug) but even that doesn't turn on. I yanked out all the RAM - same thing. Yanked out all the drive data cables - same thing. Typically a board would provide a warning or beep with an LED code - nothing. CPU in CPU Fan 1 - Check. Have any of you guys seen this? I had an Abit IP35 Pro with the LED and that baby just worked right out of the box and darn reliable. Not sure what's wrong with this one...

Perhaps some of you guys could give me some insight. It's definitely not the PSU - 750 Watt Antec Gamer which could light up a forest of Xmas trees. Anyone have an idea they can send? :) Hope it's not a bad board... it's so pretty in the case...
    Some totally random thoughts:
    - Could the board be shorted somehow? Try removing from case and powering up on MB cardboard box.
    - Bad CPU (maybe smashed pins)? Something wrong with CPU socket?
    - Bad power supply cables (either/both 24 and 8 pin)?
    - Bad power supply. Have you tested it in another machine?
    - Don't know if this could be a CMOS problem but you could try resetting it.
    - Maybe just a bad MB, can you RMA it or swap it for another?

Good luck.

Thanks - easy answer - the 24 pin was seated fine, the 8 pin wasn't seated in 100% and both need to be plugged in. Now it works beautifully.

Quick question -- I'm using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus fan, not even the stock fan. How can I see people reporting 28C temperatures? That is barely room temperature. My idle temp is 45-46C and fluctuates, and that's not with the hard drive running, just mobo turned on and in the bios. Even if there are air bubbles on the paste, the fan is attached and cooling should be good. Last I remember 45C was usually normal but I'll have to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by slink View Post
    Quick question -- I'm using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus fan, not even the stock fan. How can I see people reporting 28C temperatures? That is barely room temperature. My idle temp is 45-46C and fluctuates, and that's not with the hard drive running, just mobo turned on and in the bios. Even if there are air bubbles on the paste, the fan is attached and cooling should be good. Last I remember 45C was usually normal but I'll have to ask!
    I'm using a Corsair H60 and typically getting idle temps around 28-30C (via both CoreTemp and RealTemp), which is about 3C over ambient temps. Under full load (Prime95) I'm getting temps around 48-50C. My system is not overclocked at the moment. What s/w are you using to monitor the temps? You may want to check the fan speeds (via AXTU or somesuch utility).

45C for idle sounds very high - unless you're living in Singapore and don't have air conditioning! From the reviews, I would think that the HF212+ should be doing much better. I would remove the HF, clean up both the heatsink and the CPU, re-apply thermal paste and re-attach the HF.

Just for your reference, I'm using a CM HAF-X case (which is HUGE) with the fans that came with the systems (200mm top, 200mm side, 240mm front and 120mm rear that came with the h60). All fans are set to minimum speed in the BIOS.

Thread Information