Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: MSI GTX580 Lightning Extreme SLI in Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 ?

Default MSI GTX580 Lightning Extreme SLI in Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 ?

I have ordered a whole new setup to build, but just noticed the tightness of the PCI-E slot1 against the above heatsink? Will I be able to fit the MSI GTX-580 Extreme Edition in slot 1 (and SLI it via slot4) on this motherboard? Thanks for a quick reply, since parts are ordered..

Default Re: MSI GTX580 Lightning Extreme SLI in Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 ?

Looks fine to me, remember the card is mounted "upside down" the pcb will be near the heatsink and the massive cooler on the 580 ligthning will be downward. There are 2 PCIE slots between PCIE1 and 4 so that should be enough for the heatsink. The only issue I see is if you want a 3rd, it might be a tight fit or if you want to use PCIE3.

Thanks. I might have been fooled by some pictures of the motherboard, taken from a strange angle (downside-up). It looked as if the heatsink above the first PCI-E slot almost touched the slot It looks as it's going to be a nice fit with these cards, when installed in slot1 and 4. I think the MSI Lightning takes up 2 slots so that would leave some space between them. I don't think I will ever add a third card for this setup, more likely replace the two cards with PCI-E 3.0 counterparts and an Ivy Bridge cpu some time in the future.
    Last edited by drem; 10-05-2011 at 11:07 PM.

You're welcome.

I have the same motherboard with 2 EVGA GTX570 (the longer, 2 slot version not the HD version) and they fit nicely. I wasn't entirely sure about the lightning because from the photos I saw it could almost be a 2.5 slots cooler but as I said, it won't matter because the mobo heatsink is on the opposite side of the gpu heatsink.

Hi. Did it fit? Are the SATA connectors a problem, because the length of the card is 12'' ?
    Thanks.

Hi. I had it confirmed from the seller it fits (he's an old friend of mine too so I trust him), and all parts are waiting for me at the store. Just waiting for some money to be transferred to my account so I can go get the stuff :) Probably monday. I will get back to you about the fit.

Hi. Did it fit? Are the SATA connectors a problem, because the length of the card is 12'' ?
    Thanks.
    No problems with the SATA connectors, if you look closely the connectors are on the side of the motherboard (they would typically point toward the front of the case) and not "upward" (away from the motherboard like most connectors) so even with the card in place, there's no conflict. But you should connect them BEFORE inserting the card because it's a bit harder to access them when it's in place.

Thread Information