Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 Question (Video)

Default ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 Question (Video)

Hi Everyone,

I have a simple question and I feel like a beginner but I am usually pretty solid with computers.

I just ordered a new (my first) ASRock Z68 Pro Gen3 MoBo and I am very unfamiliar with this brand but it had very good ratings so I thought I would try it. I want to know what the onboard graphics are like.
    Do I need to purchase a video card to use this motherboard? My ultimate goal is to use this motherboard via HDMI (on board) to my monitor (24" ASUS). Will I need to start by using the VGA onbaord to install the OS and drivers?
    Will the onboard graphics be good enough to use as a media center or play a little battlefield? I am going to use this machine for all kinds of things.

Other specs (coming with MoBo)
    i7 2600 quad core
    8 GB patriot (2x4GB)
    1TB Seagate 7200 HDD
    850watt power supply

Thank you for answering my dumb questions.

Matt

Default Re: ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 Question (Video)

I think you will be impressed with the onboard video and the mobo. I have it adequately running 2 monitors simultaneously (32" 1080p and 24" 1080p) using only the onboard video for browsing and movies as I look for a deal on a dedicated graphics card. Not for hardcore gaming, but I played Portal on it and it looked good on my 32" monitor.

Really? Nice. I'm not a "hardcore" gamer by any means but I like to play a few from time to time and I know graphic cards can be pretty pricey. Thank you for letting me know, I appreciate it.

The iGPU (integrated gpu on the core i7 2600 cpu) will work directly through the ports on the motherboard and you can use it to install windows, etc. without any problems. But if you have a discrete video card, you can use that right away instead. It's useful for debugging if the vid card is not working though.

For HTPC purposes, it should be fine.

However I would forget any form of gaming with it beyond poker and solitaire. I'm guessing your monitor has a resolution of 1920x1080. Check out this article (or you can find a lot more like it)

AnandTech - The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested

At 1024x768 (a lower resolution than your monitor), with everything at the minimum settings, they were getting in the 30-45 fps range which is generally unsuitable for FPS like battlefield. You'd be better off getting just about any discrete video cards than gaming with your iGPU. If you look around a bit, you can find some pretty decent cards for less than 100$. The rest of your build looks pretty decent.

I currently have my 22" Dell monitor connected to my computer without a graphics card(its being shipped for the longest time..) and it looks really good, I've been playing World of warcraft on Ultra settings with shaders and sunshafts on low everything else on ultra and im pulling 20-30 fps on a medium high populated server.(20-23 fps in SW or Org) Videos, you tube and such look good.

Here's my build (Just built a week ago and so far it's flawless..had to recycle alot of parts but it's all good):

CPU: 2500K 3.3GHz.(Running Stock)
    CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    RAM: Corsair XMS3 8Gb(2x4) 1333mhz
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 32m cache 6.0 GB Sata
    Powers supply unit: Antec 500 earthen watts
    Graphical processing unit: MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB ( It's on its way being delivered..I'm too cheap to buy overnight shipping)
    Last edited by Apolojulius; 11-09-2011 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Misinformed information had to correct it..

Thread Information