Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Extreme7 Gen3 - Unable to launch UEFI boot to install on larger than 2TB disk.

Default Extreme7 Gen3 - Unable to launch UEFI boot to install on larger than 2TB disk.

I am unable to boot to UEFI to install to a GPT volume.

On Exit I found the link to launch UEFI shell, but it immediately says "not found", and the manual's instructions to set the boot to AHCI and then select the UEFI boot option in setup doesn't give me the option to do that.
    Last edited by Undermoose; 10-06-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Default Re: Extreme7 Gen3 - Unable to launch UEFI boot to install on larger than 2TB disk.

ASRock?

Question Re: Extreme7 Gen3 - Unable to launch UEFI boot to install on larger than 2TB disk.

ASRock, can you confirm functionality on your Extreme7 Gen3 for UEFI boot to install Windows 7 on a GPT volume? I can't find any working method to do this.

Bios 1.30.

Thank you,

Undermoose.

Default Re: Extreme7 Gen3 - Unable to launch UEFI boot to install on larger than 2TB disk.

Looks like it's important to plug the USB memory stick into the USB 2.0 ports in the rear to see this option.
    Last edited by Undermoose; 10-10-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Figured out how to install Windows7 to GPT volume eventually, not a lot to it, but you need to know the procedure and it's far from well documented anywhere... ugg.

Create bootable USB stick, put EFI files from Windows 7 DVD onto USB stick, put USB stick in motherboard rear USB 2.0 socket, and boot from UEFI: USB. You will then launch Windows setup, SHIFT F10 to access DISKPART, create EFI and MSR volumes, and install to GPT disk.

I now have a 4 x 2tb Seagate Constellation raid 10 volume booting from EFI and entire volume cached by an OCZ Vertex 3 60gb SSD. Welcome to Sandy Bridge as it's supposed to be!

Before I did this I used Paragon Partition Manager to backup my old MBR C: partition to another disk, I then installed and tested a fresh copy of Windows 7 Ultimate via UEFI, and after that I restored my old C: partition over the partition where the fresh Windows 7 was installed (I didn't touch the EFI or MSR volumes of course) This Worked! I'm now running my configured Windows 7 booting from EFI on GPT disk without having to re-install all my applications.
    Last edited by Undermoose; 10-11-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Thread Information