Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Z68 Pro Gen3 + RipJaw G.Skill RAM 16gb (4x4gb) issues

Default ASRock Z68 Pro Gen3 + RipJaw G.Skill RAM 16gb (4x4gb) issues

I've been reading up on a lot of forums about issues regarding this MB and this particular RAM. I'm not sure if other RAM sticks are causing it to bring up these issues but from what I've gathered, with all 4 sticks in, the system wont boot up and you get error code 45.

Also, with this board, I have an issue were the speakers on the monitor make a buzzing sound when playing intense 3D games, like BF3 for example.

I did update the BIOS to 1.30 with no results.

The only way i was able to get all 4 sticks of RAM to work properly was to set the timings to 1333. The stock timings of 1866 leads to the error 45. The way I managed to get the system to boot was to only place 1 or 3 sticks of ram in the A1 B1 and A2 slots, leaving B2 alone (if you already messed with the BIOS and can't get the system to boot, just press the CMOS reset button on the side panel of the MB). Once I got into the BIOS and changed the timings, I saved the settings, let the system reset, turned off the computer, installed the 4th stick of ram, and it accepted all 4 and booted up normally.

Now I thought this was the solution to my problem. It just lead to another problem. Once I tried a Mem Test on the system, I got errors prompting up right away. The test showed there was memory issues and would not run.

I have so far RMA'd the MB, RAM, GPU, and CPU because I was not sure which one was the cause of the issue and wanted a fresh new set.

I now believe it to be the MB causing the issues.

Does anyone know if ASRock has made any effort to help resolve the issue and if it is a manufacture defect? I checked their website to see if the RAM was qualified to be used on their board, and it does support it.

-Thanks in advance
    Last edited by raulmh661; 10-07-2011 at 03:06 AM.

Default Re: ASRock Z68 Pro Gen3 + RipJaw G.Skill RAM 16gb (4x4gb) issues

sorry for the double post(this one seems more relevant to my issue).

Extreme7 Gen3 board

Similiar problem here. Memory is GSKILL Ripjaws X 2133 (4x4GB) Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBXLD. Some observations...

1. All four DIMM's together work fine at default BIOS speeds up to 1866.

2. When using lanes A2 and B2 only(2X4GB) memory works fine at 2133.

3. When using lanes A1 and B1 only(2X4GB) computer will not boot at 2133. Works fine at 1866 and less.

4. When using all four DIMM's, system will not boot at 2133 speed(9-11-9-28). Works fine at 1866 and less.

5. System seems to work fine with any combination as long as max speed is < 2133.

6. All of the above is also true in "turbo 50" mode. Though, "turbo 50" sets the speed of the ram to 2133 so this is basically the same issue. Turbo 50 works great as long as the only to lanes populated are A2 and B2. No A1, B1 or A1,B1,A2,B2 functionality.

RMA'd the first motherboard. Same issue with the second. I don't think it's the memory because memtest returned 0 errors at 2133 as long as it was in A2 and B2, no matter which 2 sticks I was using(tried all combinations) and no combination of the memory will work at 2133 in lanes A1 and B1.

I am also willing to try anything. Any suggestions?

I RMA'd my CPU, GPU, RAM, and the MB a week ago and yesterday I finally got the new parts back. I installed the parts real careful and was able to get everything to work flawlessly. Now the pc runs with 4x4gb n everything else is running smooth. I don't know if it was the MB or RAM or even the CPU but RMA wt u can and good luck

Are you able to run all four together at 2133 speed or use the XMP profile without any issues?

Thanks

I tried using them at 2133 but the system did not boot. Since the stock of my RAM is at 1866 with 1.5v I have not tried to run them at that speed effectively. I have been able to OC my CPU to 4.6 Ghz and have the system stable. Now the only issue I have is non MB related. My PSU has a coile whine when playing a high intensive 3D app.

To me, it sounds like it can be the RAM, MB, and/or CPU that is causing you problems. I've read around that if the RAM is faulty those issues you are having will arise. Also, if your dual channels aint working properly, it could be the CPU pins not connecting right or the MBs pins, either one of the two can cause that issue. Here is an email from ASRock with my first MB:
    I had issues running the system when I would install all 4 sticks of RAM. The system would not start up and I would get error 45. I have been trying to get this set up to work with all 4 sticks but to no success. The best I've been able to do was get it to work with only 1 stick of RAM. It worked fine with the proper timings the RAM should be running on, which is 1866. I could not add any more RAM to it or it would not boot and prompt up the error 45. I test all the sticks of RAM and each worked this way. The only way to get all 4 to work at once was to get their timing down to 1333. Running memory tests on the system would bring up errors though.
    Are these boards defective when using the dual channel system or did I get a defective board?

Thanks in advance.
    Raul;
    Please remove your CPU and check if the pins inside the socket are not bent or damaged ,if all pins are normal ,please re insert the RAM and try again.
    Since all Intel CPU included Memory controller you need to check and make sure the CPUis properly seated .
    ASRock America Support
    If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

I've read and been told that the ram on Z68 boards should only use 1.5 volts or the MB will have boot and stability issues. I'm running G.Skills 16gb 1.5's and have had no issues on my Fatality Pro Gen 3.

I have not read about that, but I have my RAM at 1.5v running stable. What are the timings on your RAM?

I installed the parts real careful and was able to get everything to work flawlessly

Update...

RMA'd the memory for the exact same type and everything works as advertised. Very, very happy with this board now. BTW, in response to one of the other posts in this thread, I am running my memory at 1.680V, and it is very stable and extremely delicious.

Thread Information