Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SATA 3 6.0Gb ports on motherboard

Default Re: SATA 3 6.0Gb ports on motherboard

It can be a little confusing having two on-board SATA controllers, one supported by the native motherboard chipset, while another is supported by a third-party chipset w/ option rom.

This confusion is often compounded by the fact the each controller must have ACHI/IDE/RAID configured individually, and 2TB+ support is another matter too.

The third party chipset will never show any connected drives in BIOS setup screens, but the drives should show both when the chipset option rom loads during boot, and also in the boot menu (F11). The way they will show changes depending on ACHI/IDE setting and other factors.

I am using the SATA 3 ports on my H67M-ITX with dual Crucial m64 SATA3 SSDs and have no issues.

By default, all the SATA ports on the motherboard are enabled. However, slap_happy gives a point you should take notice of regarding the SATA Mode. Default is AHCI, however, you may need to use IDE for compatibility.

I am running Windows 2000 Advanced Server and though the motherboard is fine with AHCI and recognizes the SATA3 SSDs, and the OS will begin to boot, along the way it pukes. Forced to set it to IDE to have it happy.

Latest build - mini-supercomputer:
    ASRock H67M-ITX
    Intel Xeon E3-1230
    2*4GB Crucial Ballistix
    2*64GB Crucial m4 SSD
    Antec ISK300-150
    Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Quote Originally Posted by rsinj View Post
    I am using the SATA 3 ports on my H67M-ITX with dual Crucial m64 SATA3 SSDs and have no issues.
    I believe in the case of your board, the H67 has native chipset SATA3 support, so in that case they would show in the bios and wouldn't use an option rom that loads during bios startup.

I was speaking of the motherboards in which the native motherboard chipset does not directly support SATA3, but "tacks on" a third party chipset on to the motherboard with its own option rom in order to support SATA3 through an entirely separate discrete controller.

The chipsets most commonly used are the Marvell SE9128, or the ASMedia ASM106. Having this additional controller chipset built onto the motherboard is hardly different (in function) than installing a PCIe controller card, except that you don't have to install a card.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information