Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Win XP boot issues with ASRock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3

Default Re: Win XP boot issues with ASRock Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3

You need a boot manager. I've been using Bootit Bare Metal (used to be called Bootit NG) for years. This would have saved you a whole heap of time and trouble. Makes multibooting mucho easier.

TeraByte Unlimited :: Boot Manager :: Partition Manager :: Drive Image :: Disk Copy :: Drive Wipe :: Hard Drive Utilities

Oh, and get a new monitor. :)
    Last edited by roscolo; 10-28-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    yes it would wipe all your data with xp,only win7 can save your files in a folder called windows.old but even then its advised to back up beforehand,so what did you do again? delete xp or just back it up? if you backed it up try a repair/restore
    Ok, I'll have to re-explain this.
    My primary HDD has 5 partitions on it.
    Partition 1 is Win XP, partition 2 is Vista, and partition 3 is Win 7 x64 Ultimate. Partition 4 & 5 has some data files.
    Last month my old ABIT AMD Athlon board failed, so have to build a new system. The new MB is the ASRock Fatality Pro Gen3 using the Intel Z68 chipset.
    So when I start my PC, it shows the boot screen for selecting which version of Windows you want to load, with Win 7 being the default.
    If I select "Earlier version of Windows", it will start to load XP, but will BSOD (see 1st image at top).
    If I have it load XP in Safe Mode, it stops at Mup.sys (see 2nd image above).

The XP is not damage or deleted, but seems to be that it's currently incompatible with my new Motherboard.
    That is why I thought about re-installing XP over itself, or using the Repair mode, and see if that way it will get XP to run on the new motherboard.
    By concern is if I re-install XP over itself, will it keep or erase all my programs that was installed under XP?
    And will it delete or alter the boot file from showing all 3 versions of Windows to just showing Windows XP.

In simple terms, I need XP working again as it was before with all my programs intact, and also having the Windows Vista and Win 7 in the boot table so I can get into them. I use Win 7 98% of the time, but there are a few things that I have to use XP for and I don't want to lose my programs that are installed in XP.
    Last edited by FAUguy; 10-28-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Your last post just illustrated why a boot manager is crucial and a lifesaver, definitely a timesaver and headache saver, especially if you're booting more than 2 OS's. Even now if you installed Bootit, or just ran Bootit off of a CD or floppy, you could easily copy, backup and Image your other OS installs, so even if you wipe something out, it's easily restored. Since your building new, if I were you I would start with a fresh HD anyway. Good luck.
    Last edited by roscolo; 10-28-2011 at 01:03 PM.
    Asrock z68 Fatal1ty Professional Gen3 / i7 2600k / 4x4GB GSkill 1333 RAM / Crucial m4 128GB / Win 7 Ult 64 / WD Black 640GB / Win XP Pro / Several Hitachi Deskstar 1TB HDs / NZXT Hale90 650W PSU / AzzA Hurrican 2000 Case

Quote Originally Posted by roscolo View Post
    Your last post just illustrated why a boot manager is crucial and a lifesaver, definitely a timesaver and headache saver, especially if you're booting more than 2 OS's. Even now if you installed Bootit, or just ran Bootit off of a CD or floppy, you could easily copy, backup and Image your other OS installs, so even if you wipe something out, it's easily restored. Since your building new, if I were you I would start with a fresh HD anyway. Good luck.
    Ok, I understand the part about using a boot manager to make the boot-up process easier to manage, and also backing up my Vista and Win 7 partitions.
    But my concern is about getting my XP partition up and running without needing to reinstall all the programs.

Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    But my concern is about getting my XP partition up and running without needing to reinstall all the programs.
    Exactly. That's what the Image backup is for. Your XP is restorable without needing to reinstall any of the existing installed programs. The Image will function just like it was when you made the Image backup of the XP installation.
    Ideally, you would already have made the Image backup of your XP partition. But, it's not too late. There are probably ways to do it without Bootit, (maybe boot from a linux disk?), but I've been using Bootit so long I don't know or care about any other methods. No way would I try to install over the XP, repair install, or whatever, until I had made an Image backup of the XP partition, and the other partitions for that matter.
    On the terabyte unlimited site I posted the link to above, looks like you can get a 30 day trial version of Image for Windows. Pretty sure that will not have any features disabled. And that should allow you to create a bootable CD, from there you can Image your XP installation (and your other OS installations). I would then just shut down, disconnect the HD your working on, and you can put in a fresh HD to restore your XP installation and play around and try whatever you need if it's not bootable. If it gets screwed up, won't matter. Because you have the Image backup, and you aren't screwing around with the HD that has those other OS's installed (which you will always be able to just shut down, and hook the HD containing those OS's back up and be right where you are now).
    Last edited by roscolo; 10-28-2011 at 01:37 PM.
    Asrock z68 Fatal1ty Professional Gen3 / i7 2600k / 4x4GB GSkill 1333 RAM / Crucial m4 128GB / Win 7 Ult 64 / WD Black 640GB / Win XP Pro / Several Hitachi Deskstar 1TB HDs / NZXT Hale90 650W PSU / AzzA Hurrican 2000 Case

Quote Originally Posted by roscolo View Post
    Exactly. That's what the Image backup is for. Your XP is restorable without needing to reinstall any of the existing installed programs. The Image will function just like it was when you made the Image backup of the XP installation.
    Ideally, you would already have made the Image backup of your XP partition. But, it's not too late. There are probably ways to do it without Bootit, (maybe boot from a linux disk?), but I've been using Bootit so long I don't know or care about any other methods. No way would I try to install over the XP, repair install, or whatever, until I had made an Image backup of the XP partition.
    Since I can't currently get XP to load (for whatever the incompatibility reason), I'd first need to make a backup of it, then re-install XP over itself and see if my programs are still intact. If they aren't, then restore the backed-up XP image. But in doing so, XP would not boot up again like it does now, right?

Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    Since I can't currently get XP to load (for whatever the incompatibility reason), I'd first need to make a backup of it, then re-install XP over itself and see if my programs are still intact. If they aren't, then restore the backed-up XP image. But in doing so, XP would not boot up again like it does now, right?
    Dude, I think you're playing with fire. I would do what I suggested above. Use something (Bootit's all I know and trust) to make a bootable image of your apparently damaged / incompatible XP partition. I would make images of all the other partitions as well. Can't hurt.

Exactly what I would do:
    -Hook up another HD to your computer.
    -Use Image for Windows to boot from CD.
    -From there you can see and make bootable images all of your OS's and put them on another HD or disks for safe keeping (I prefer another HD).
    -Shut down.
    -Remove the old HD you have been booting from containing your 3 OS partitions.
    -Hook up a fresh, new HD in its place.
    -Boot up with the Image For Windows CD.
    -Restore your XP (and only your XP) partition image to this new HD.

Now you can try to save your XP by using the image backup without screwing up your original XP (it's still on the original HD, and you have the image backup on another HD).

When you get it sorted you MAY even be able to just:
    -Install Bootit (I hate to preach this, but man it has saved my butt in situations like you describe). Bootit installs to it's own tiny partition.
    -Then hook up your original HD. You can ignore the damaged / incompatible XP installation on that HD now because you will have fixed it and have it on the new HD. But you should be able to see and manage the other OS partitions from the Bootit screen. From that screen in Bootit you can choose which OS to boot into.

That is an optimistic scenario. I'm not an expert, but I know, particularly when one of the OS's is Windows 7, that some boot files can be problematic when booting multiple OS's from different HD's. I know because that is exactly what I do. But I also know the solution was pretty simple because I followed the solution step-by-step from the Terabyte Unlimited FAQ's. Even if the optimistic scenario doesn't work out, you will likely figure out how to effectively fix your XP partition problem, and you can rest easy even if you muck it up, because you will still have the XP image backup on the HD you will have stored the image backup on.
    Last edited by roscolo; 10-28-2011 at 02:55 PM.

By the way, I should mention I'm multi-booting Win 7 Ult 64 from one HD, and booting Win XP Pro 32bit from another HD, so there is no inherent problem where Win XP is incompatible with Asrock z68 Fatal1ty Professional Gen 3 board.

What size HD do you have these 5 partitions on?
    How big is your XP partition on that HD?
    How much free space is available on that existing XP partition?

does you xp install have service pack 3? another user had issues because his only had service pack 2 and he was running into blue screens when installing
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    does you xp install have service pack 3? another user had issues because his only had service pack 2 and he was running into blue screens when installing
    I'm not sure if you're asking me or the OP, but mine is Win XP Pro Service Pack 3.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information