Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Pro + IOMMU with Xen

Default ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Pro + IOMMU with Xen

I have been reading thru TweakTown Forum for a few weeks now trying to find the specific answers i was seeking, as well as online search, AND figured i post my first message on here asking my question, hopefully from some experts that know something.. :)

I have been wanting and researching to build a Linux box for primarily running VM (Virtual Machines). I would either use Ubuntu 11.10 Server/Desktop OR try Debian Squeeze 6.0. That OS would be the DomO or primary OS that would run Xen 4.2 HyperVisor. I also would setup VGAPassThrough via IOMMU feature on mobo to pass primary PCIe video card to a VM Guest.

I would like a server mobo, BUT that is too expensive. I narrowed my search down to ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional AM3+ motherboard. From what i have read, that ASRock motherboard is pretty well built and has a great layout. I know it has the IOMMU feature that you can enable in BIOS, just do not know how well it works. I have also read in quite a few places that ASUS does not support Linux, SO i am going with that and not relying on getting an ASUS motherboard that won't support any new BIOS updates regarding Linux or anything similar. Also, since ASRock spun off from ASUS, i was not sure if their support for IOMMU and Linux is just as bad as ASUS or not.

SO my questions are

1.) Has anyone actually tried to run Xen HyperVisor on ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional AM3+ motherboard and does it work?
    2.) Is ASRock a lot better at supporting Linux, IOMMU, VM, or anything similar via BIOS updates or drivers or etc?

Have read a few Gigabyte motherboards on here working great with Xen, so if ASRock does not work, than will try that.
    Last edited by Xyber; 11-05-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Default Re: ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Pro + IOMMU with Xen

Anyone out there have any ideas if this motherboard is a good candidate for running Ubuntu Linux with Xen 4.1.2? and if the motherboard is rock solid and stable?

Thread Information