Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AsRock fatality 990FX Pro AMD Motherboard always starts straight to Bios/uefi

Default AsRock fatality 990FX Pro AMD Motherboard always starts straight to Bios/uefi

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I built my first new machine and every time I start up goes straight to Bios/uefi.

The only way I can get it to boot Windows 7 is if I select "exit and discard changes". The PC then makes a single beep and boots windows. If I select any other option it just restarts PC and loops back to Bios again.

I have already made sure all parts are firmly together.
    I have removed the motherboard battery to reset already
    I have set the boot order/priority already and looked at other settings and I think they are fine.
    I have reinstalled windows although due to always starting in Bios it made it difficult.

Anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

Keep in mind this is my first build so dont be afraid to ask if I have done some obvious things.

The PC build is:
    -AsRock fatality 990FX Professional AMD Motherboard
    -Patriot Pyro Sanforce SF-2281 60GB SATA3 SSD
    -AMD AM3 x6 1055T 2.8Ghx Phenom 2 CPU
    -G.Skill Sniper 8G(4Gx2) DDR 1600 F3 12800CL9D
    -Gigabyte 1GB 6950 PCI-E VGA Card
    -Coolermaster GX 750W PSU
    -Coolermaster HAF 922 Case
    -Samsung SATA 22x DVD RW
    -EDIMAX EW-7612PIN PCI-E Wireless N 300 Network card
    -Windows 7

Default Re: AsRock fatality 990FX Pro AMD Motherboard always starts straight to Bios/uefi

I am having a similar issues as well on the ASRock Z68 Professional board. It always boots to BIOS if I have the keyboard plugged in. Otherwise the board is solid and runs great. I just unplug my keyboard, start the computer, and then plug it back in. I hear a beep and it goes to windows. I have even tried several boards and different usb ports.

I have contacted ASRock, but from what I have hear I might never hear back from them. If I find a solution then I will let you know.

Default Re: AsRock fatality 990FX Pro AMD Motherboard always starts straight to Bios/uefi

Switch the mouse/keyboard's USB ports - trust me, it works.
    My Rig
    CPU: Phenom II X4 955BE @ 4GHz
    RAD: Corsair H60 [2x Gentle Typhoon AP-15]
    MB: ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty Professional
    RAM: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II OC
    SND: Asus Xonar Essence STX
    SSD: Cosair Force 3 60GB
    HDD: Samsung F3 1TB
    PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W ST60F-P
    CASE: CoolerMaster Storm Scout

I got a response from ASRock.

They said to start it without your usb keyboard/mouse and use a PS/2 Keyboard. Go into BIOS and enable USB Legacy Support. Then restart with your USB Keyboard.

I have not had a chance to try it yet as I have to borrow a PS/2 keyboard from work but I will tonight. I think I had legacy support on already though. Other than this issue the board is rock solid and pretty awesome.

Speaking of PS/2... ever try to ask someone at Best Buy in the computer department for a PS/2 keyboard and get taken to the playstation area? When I am in there I feel like Ron Swanson "Hey there, is there a project you're working on?" "I know more than you"

Tried what ASRock said to do with the PS/2 keyboard and it has not fixed the issues. Now they want to know what devices I have tried.

I am about to rip this board out and get a replacement.

I got 2 different responses on how to fix the problem from asrock tech support but I tried what you were told first regarding starting without keyboard etc. I started the PC with all USb devices unpluggde and started to windows straight away with no problems. after some trial an error I have worked out the PC doesnt like the USB devices. I got a PS2 keyboard and didnt have any problem. I have disabled USB legacy support in the bios settings(it was enabled as default) and now I can start the PC with the USB devices connected and no issues. So it looks like it is some issue with USB device compatibility with Legacy support.

Thread Information