Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASrock Z68 Extreme4 SATA3 question. easy? Can the SATA3 M0 port run a SATAII drive?

Default ASrock Z68 Extreme4 SATA3 question. easy? Can the SATA3 M0 port run a SATAII drive?

This question might be simple: What are the M1 and M2 sata slots for on the motherboard? I just put together a system using 2 Sata hard drives hooked up to the M1 and M2 ports (by mistake) and couldn't install windows onto them without enabling the Marvell software in the BIOS. I moved them over to two of the SATAII ports 0 thru 6 and they worked fine.

I was also wondering how much of a boost I would see if I got a new SATA 3 hard drive. I'm currently using a 10,000RPM sataII raptor that maxes out at 3.0Gb/s. Do you guys think that a SATA 3 hard drive is a must for a new gaming system?

ps: here are the links to my two hard drives if it helps:
    Newegg.com - Recertified: Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFS 74GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EARS 1.5TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Last edited by WAREHOUSE; 11-20-2011 at 10:41 PM.

Thread Information