Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Stuck on Asrock logo with 98 error code

Exclamation Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Stuck on Asrock logo with 98 error code

Hello,

I have just assembled a brand new system using an Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, Intel i5 2500K, 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600, Corsair TX750 V2 and a Seagate 1.5TB SATA3 HDD.
    The problem is that when I power it up it cycles through the POST codes but remains stuck on the ASROCK logo screen (the one with boot order options, bios options etc.) displaying a code 98 on the Dr. Debug.
    From the manual it is apparently related to input devices, "Console input devices connect". I have booted the system in all posible configurations:
    - each of the memory sticks in each of the slots
    - with hdd
    - without hdd
    - only the mb with CPU and PSU conected to a Samsung 42 LCD tv over a dvi to HDMI addapter
    - all of the above connected
    - used a wireless keyboard
    - used an usb keyboard
    - used a ps/2 keyboard
    No other usb/components were attached to the system
    After all changes the system starts ok, displays the ASROCK logo but i cannot get to start the setup or do anything. None if the keyboards have their LED lights on on this menu, however the ps/2 one has it's LEDs lighted up when connected, then nothing.

Any ideas on what i can do next?
    Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Stuck on Asrock logo with 98 error code

Bumping as I have the same issue. The machine will eventually boot but it spends 30-40 seconds on the 98 "console input devices connect" state. Once it clears that it boots just fine, but the long delay to move past code 98 is pretty unsatisfactory. Any help would be appreciated.

So I just wanted to pop on here to share my solution as it seems that this is either a very uncommon problem or not a lot of people have answers. I was having the same issue. It'd stick on POST 0x98. Error code 98 of course means 'input console input devices connect'. So I figure it has something to do with either the mouse or the keyboard. In my setup I'm using a relic of a keyboard the IBM Model M and for my mouse I have a logitech Trackman mouse. I have the ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 motherboard that I flashed to P1.10 BIOs. I flashed it shortly after building my computer and I believe I was just running 1.0 before. I can't remember if I had error code 98 then too. I do know it'd take a while to go through POST at that point in time. After error 98 it'd then briefly stick on a B4 error code "0xB4 USB hot plug". So I took a stab in the part and went to Advanced > USB Configuration > Legacy USB Support > Disable. This fixed the problem completely for me. I should warn you that before changing this option I would have some issues with using the mouse in BIOS where it would move the cursor but woudn't select items correctly. Now the mouse is completely disabled in BIOS which I'm fine with (my keyboard is PS/2). I also have a webcam plugged into one of the USB23 ports (red USB port) and my mouse and a TP Link USB wireless adapter plugged into USB01 (the topmost USB plugs). I have not experimented with leaving some USB devices unplugged during boot. Hope this helps.

I have the Extrme3 Gen3 and was getting stuck on code 92. Seems it was the combination of having a Logitech Revolution and G700 plugged in at the same time. The beta bios 1.23 seems to have fixed it. The changes in beta bios say it improves keyboard and mouse compatibility under BIOS. Give it a try, maybe it has fixed your issues. ASRock > Products > Motherboard > Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 > Download

Unhappy Re: Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Stuck on Asrock logo with 98 error code

I also have this issue. But hangs for longer and sometimes wont boot at all when the PC is cold.
    I also cannot get back from standby or hibernation in XPsp3 although curiously I can get back from sleep mode into Win764.

Bloomin annoying coz apart from these issues the board is a dynamite overclocker and the FastLan thing really works.

sleep resume issues are usually ram/voltage related,set your own dram voltage to whats printed on your ram,and try one or two clicks more imc or vtt voltage for integrated memory controller,then test
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angry Re: Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Stuck on Asrock logo with 98 error code - same here

Cross-posting from OCZworkbench to try and increase my chances of getting some help with this problem I'm having with the Z68 x3 g3 on an absolutely new build.

I'm using an i3 2100 cpu and an nVidia GTX 550 video card plus a single 4gb stick of gskill ram. The PC powers up to the splash screen, but then won't do anything else, showing '92' in the bottom right, and the onboard LED gives the 'd0' error. This is 'PCI bus initialization is started', according to the manual.

The PC will still react to ctrl-alt-del by rebooting, and tab takes me to a screen that gives the EFI version, but no other input is recognized, so I can't e.g. try updating the bios. I haven't been able to install an operating system or do anything with the machine. I've had the battery out and cleared the cmos, and moved the ram around, but no joy. Any help is very much welcome.
    Last edited by luke_osullivan; 01-28-2012 at 11:52 PM.

Default Re: Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Stuck on Asrock logo with 98 error code - same here

I had the B4 prob, wich apperently is the USB 3.0 port, so i removed the thing that i had plugged in, and it worked for me.

Thread Information