Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asrock 990FX Extreme3 + FX 8120 @ Bios default = CPU Throttling - Not APM

Robbbbb is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Asrock 990FX Extreme3 + FX 8120 @ Bios default = CPU Throttling - Not APM

How annoying!

I even took the sinks off yesterday, applied some arctic silver and re fitted to see if that might help a bit, it did nothing lol.

I'm having to run a max of 3.8ghz at the moment, but even that gives me a bit of throttling in prime 95, I don't see it while gaming mind you at this speed.

Keep us up to date on any progress or responses you receive from asrock (if you do) because this issue is driving me nuts, my cpu is dying to hit some decent clock speeds! Being throttled with a cpu temp of 38 is ridiculously annoying.

I really don't want to have to buy a new board but it looks like I'm heading that way, also the fact that there's threads all over the net of people with this exact problem dating back 1 year is telling me it's an issue that won't/can't be resolved

Rob

Default Re: Asrock 990FX Extreme3 + FX 8120 @ Bios default = CPU Throttling - Not APM

Oh when I say refitted the sinks I'm talking about the small VRM ones, as I believe the problem is with them overheating when vcore voltage and clock speed is increased (they get too hot to touch just before the multiplier cuts back to 7)

Rob

justincase is offline Junior Member

3 e-mails and no response..well, I'm not buying anything from ASRock again.

Rester is offline Junior Member

I think the problem is related to VRMs on the MB. I'm having the same problem on 970 Extreme4 (with FX 6300) and from the looks of it, both mainboards have the exact same VRM design. In my case, the CPU is throttling somewhere between 44C to 48C, so it cant be a problem with the CPU. I hope they release some BIOS fix for this problem, otherwise this will be my last product from Asrock.

Quote Originally Posted by Rester View Post
    I think the problem is related to VRMs on the MB.
    In my uneducated guesstimate this IS where this problem originates.

Good MB's have a built-in throttle that, regardless of APM or any other BIOS setting, when the VRM's become stressed and overheat will do exactly what all these threads and posts here and elsewhere are describing. Throttle the CPU to reduce the draw and safeguard the MB. When the VRM's return to a "safe' state release the throttle.

This protection isn't anything new and has been around for years.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Makes perfect sense to me, I just have to wonder why it's so much worse on these motherboards. People with various other boards are running a stable 4.5ghz+ through hours of stress testing with no throttling. Is it to do with the quality of VRM's or something? Genuine question, I've really no idea!

oneb1t is offline Junior Member

VRM is not issue at all u can disable APM+turbo and then trottle stops (for me on 880g extreme3)

problem is bios which is not fully supporting piledrivers

this boards can handle 125W phenom II at 4.2Ghz without any issues its just about bios

Quote Originally Posted by oneb1t View Post
    VRM is not issue at all u can disable APM+turbo and then trottle stops (for me on 880g extreme3)

problem is bios which is not fully supporting piledrivers

this boards can handle 125W phenom II at 4.2Ghz without any issues its just about bios
    Did you read the title of the thread you posted to just there saying the above about it's not the VRM/Throttling?

FYI: The title of this thread is Asrock 990FX Extreme3 + FX 8120 @ Bios default = CPU Throttling - Not APM

The 880 chipset wasn't intended to support the FX series.
    #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
    ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - G.Skill RAM Configurator for your boardSamsung Memory for your boardLatest AMD Chipset Drivers/WindowsLatest AMD Graphics Drivers/WindowsLatest Intel Drivers

#3 - Please use the eXtreme Outer Vision Power Supply Calculator found HERE to determine if it might be your PSU at issue.
    ____Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Rester is offline Junior Member

They released an BIOS update for 970 Extreme4 the other days. I doubt it will fix my problem, but will try it nonetheless.
    From what I understand it's worth trying new ways to better cool the VRMs, as temperature is the cause of this behavior. But does it make sense to invest more money on a possible faulty board?

Also, sorry for highjacking this thread with my own problem :). I know we are talking about different boards and CPUs, but I think its worth discussing this at a more centralized level (as this problems affects most users of lower end 9xx boards)
    Last edited by Rester; 01-31-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rester View Post
    They released an BIOS update for 970 Extreme4 the other days. I doubt it will fix my problem, but will try it nonetheless.
    From what I understand it's worth trying new ways to better cool the VRMs, as temperature is the cause of this behavior. But does it make sense to invest more money on a possible faulty board?

Also, sorry for highjacking this thread with my own problem :). I know we are talking about different boards and CPUs, but I think its worth discussing this at a more centralized level (as this problems affects most users of lower end 9xx boards)
    Agreed, I hijacked it initially anyway as I thought it would be better if there was one decent thread with all the info in it (as we all have the same problem) rather than loads of separate ones.

As I said I don't think it's an issue that can be fixed via software really, just going to grit my teeth and buy a new board at some point in the near future (not an ASRock!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information