Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ASRock X58 Extreme no OC but 6 DIMM's very unstable in Prime95

Default ASRock X58 Extreme no OC but 6 DIMM's very unstable in Prime95

Hi,

When I install all 6 DIMM's with RAM running Prime95 results in nearly all core threads failing immediately to within 3min due to a P95 error description of a "rounding error". If I run the three primary DIMM's the system is stable using either of the sets of RAM, in other words the problem doesn't seem to be the RAM since both sets of 3 sticks run stable when installed in the primary DIMMs. This is occuring at default settings for the BIOS. The only potentially odd thing I have noticed is that the AUTO settings on the BIOS are setting the RAM at 8-8-8-20 even though the RAM spec is 9-9-9-24. I tried manually setting the RAM to 9-9-9-24 and still got the P95 failures described above. Any thoughts?

XSRock X58 Extreme (current BIOS)
    Intel Core i7 920
    G.Skill DDR-3 1333 9-9-9-24 1.5V 2GBx3 (F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ)

Thanks

Default Re: ASRock X58 Extreme no OC but 6 DIMM's very unstable in Prime95

Taking a stab at this...Although the board, for that matter any board, that has 6 DIMM's in all liklihood will require more voltage to your DIMM's then what the default BIOS settings are for RAM voltages. Most default settings are for 2 or 4 sticks at the most. Plus there is a vDrop factor which is the difference between what voltage you set in the BIOS compared to the actual voltage that is reported by software for example CPU-Z or AIDA64 for your memory. To compensate for this vDrop you add + voltage to your DIMMs in the BIOS, in small increments, till the end result is the desired voltage as displayed by the software under windows. Additionally you may need to relax your memory timings than what the specs are to gain stability as well...

The GSkill Forum is a good place to research and/or post your issues as there may have been someone else who had the same problem and found a solution."Tradesman" is the resident GSkill Support Person and he might have some ideas as well...

GSKILL TECH FORUM - Powered by vBulletin

Good Luck!
    SaphireX
    ASRock™ Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 Intel™ Core i7-2600K LGA1155 Corsair™ Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH100)
    G.SKILL™ Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL (2) ASUS™ ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti in SLi
    OS Drive: Mushkin™ Chronos Deluxe 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb/s SSD(MKNSSDCR120GB-DX) Storage: 2-Western Digital™ WD2002FAEX 2TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Hard Drives
    Optical: HP™ Multiformat DVD Writer SATA Model 1260i Plextor™ Blu-ray writer PX-LB950SA Viewsonic™ V3D245 3D LED display @120hz
    PC Power and Cooling™ Silencer Mk II 950W Inwin™ DRAGON RIDER case APC™ BR1500LCD UPS 1500VA w/AVR Win7™ Ultimate 64

Thread Information