Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 troubles (no dr debug led/won't post)

Default Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 troubles (no dr debug led/won't post)

I am fairly new to the computer building community. This is only my third computer I've put together myself. I never ran into any problems before so I guess I'm stumped on this one.

The issue I'm having is that I have everything plugged in securely and correctly as far as I know and when I turn on the PSU and push the power button the case light lights up, the GPU, CPU, PSU, and case fans all start up. That's about it though, The case doesn't have a speaker but I plugged in the speaker that came with the mobo. There are no beeps when starting up the computer. Also the Dr. Debug does not light up at all.

I'll go ahead and list the components right now in case there are any compatibility issues:

Mobo - ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
    CPU - i5 2500k Sandy Bridge
    Memory - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8gb (4 x 2) DDR3 1600
    GPU - XFX 6870
    PSU - ModXStream-Pro 700w Modular Powersupply
    HDD - 120gig OCZ Agility 3 SSD
    Heatsink Fan - Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
    Case - Coolermaster HAF 912

As far as what I've tried to do for troubleshooting myself:

I have tried the computer with just bare minimums Mobo, CPU, Heatsink, 1 stick of memory (tried all 4 slots), and PSU - result (no beep, no led lights, no bios)
    I have tried with everything plugged in and attempted plugging in the monitor with each DVI port on the GPU as well as the onboard DVI, HDMI on both the GPU and onboard, and VGA on the onboard as well - Result - (no beep, no led lights, no bios)
    I have tried booting the computer up with a PS/2 Keyboard, a USB keyboard, and no keyboard with no luck with any of those 3 options.
    I have tried taking out the battery to clear the cmos for intervals of 20/30/60/120 minutes with no luck.
    The only thing I haven't tried is to boot up outside of the case, but I am 100% positive I have all of the spacers in the right spot and used, no more no less

Unfortunately I am limited on funds, supplies, and extra parts so I do not have another GPU/Mobo/PSU to try...
    I hate to think I got a DOA mobo or possibly even CPU because I ordered the parts before Christmas and they all just arrived yesterday...
    But if I need to RMA it I guess it's just something I'll have to deal with, I'm just trying to exaust all options I have at my own disposal before exchanging it.
    Any help, troubleshooting, or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Steven

Default Re: Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 troubles (no dr debug led/won't post)

Hi Steven

It sounds like you pretty much narrowed it down to 3 possibilities...
    1.Your PSU is bad
    2.Your CPU either is bad or has bent pins?
    3.The board is bad

From a practical standpoint since Dr Debug does not even light up I am inclined to suspect that your PSU is at fault or that you missed on a connector from your PSU or possibly the front panel headers from your case in particular the start and restart connectors are backwards ie: reverse polarity-check those little case connectors with a magnifying glass and verify that you have not accidentily mixed up the (+) and (-) polarity.
    As well as double-check that you have connected the 20+4 or 24 Pin main power connector from your PSU to ATX Power 1 as well as the 8-pin ATX 12V1 connector that both are firmly seated on the board.
    If that does not fix things then the shortcut would be to simply buy another PSU and save the receipt and if with another PSU if it still does not work then the remaining two suspects are either the board or CPU

Hope this helps

SaphireX
    ASRock™ Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 Intel™ Core i7-2600K LGA1155 Corsair™ Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH100)
    G.SKILL™ Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL (2) ASUS™ ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti in SLi
    OS Drive: Mushkin™ Chronos Deluxe 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb/s SSD(MKNSSDCR120GB-DX) Storage: 2-Western Digital™ WD2002FAEX 2TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Hard Drives
    Optical: HP™ Multiformat DVD Writer SATA Model 1260i Plextor™ Blu-ray writer PX-LB950SA Viewsonic™ V3D245 3D LED display @120hz
    PC Power and Cooling™ Silencer Mk II 950W Inwin™ DRAGON RIDER case APC™ BR1500LCD UPS 1500VA w/AVR Win7™ Ultimate 64

Thank you for the advice SaphireX. I recently pulled the whole mobo out of the case and am trying with only the Mobo, CPU, Heatsink Fan, and PSU. No gpu, memory, hdd, or connections from the case. I have the 20+4 pin plugged in correctly and pushed in firmly as well as the 8 pin plugged in correctly and firmly. I have the speaker that came with the mobo plugged in as well. No such luck on getting it to even beep or show dr debug led's.

i have the exact same board but a non gen 3 version,and exactly the same problem,cpu fan spins but no mb lights or dr debug light,the board was given to me for spares but i have no idea whats up with it,same ram,psu and cpu work fine on an asus z68 v pro but not on this board so i would say 99% that your mb is faulty or doa
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have exactly the same problem with my Extreme4 Gen3 board. CPU fan spins up, but Dr Debug LED doesn't light up. My PSU is ok for sure. I removed all disks and USB connections, still get the same problem. 20+4 and 8 connectors are firmly plugged in. Reset button on main board doesn't seem to work (no beep ever).
    Anyone solved the problem yet?
    Last edited by zoomer99; 01-29-2012 at 06:15 PM.

kick is offline Senior Member

Seems kinda sad that a few boards could be that way,
    unless its some kind of memory incompatability thing .
    desperate things:
    cmos reset trying both panel and mbrd buttons , make sure one isnt stuck?
    plug in the molex sli/xfire connector (if that board has one) for extra juice to kick start it?
    That board probably has the plug in chip bios too, not much use if you dont have a spare to hand.
    If your fairly sure its the board , most of you should be ok on returning it.

Other than that ,if some of you have a board that just seems dead and cant be returned for whatever reason, there isnt much option except self attemps at repair.$10 for a replacement bios and it might not even be the problem ..dunno.
    mechanical cpu socket pin tester made with a piece of white card and covered with black insulating tape or brown packing tape, then gentle all over pressure , possibly with a cpu sized object and check the indentations in the tape for consistency.
    Not too dissimilar to the cpu modding cover certain cpu contacts with tape thing.
    Anything else, even if you could determine which component is faulty, ts.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

I have the same problem with the Z68 Extreme7 Gen 3 MB. It boots up, all fans power up, mouse does not power up or keyboard and no display. I sometimes have to power cycle the computer a couple times before it actually boots up. This is a brand new board and CPU that i purchased last week. System is stock with no overclocking or anything. I checked the Bios but there is nothing i could have forgotten in there that would cause this kind of behaviour.

Asrock Z68 Extreme 7 Gen 3
    Intel i7 2600k
    Zalman CNPS9700 NT Heatsink/fan
    8 Gb Patriot PC3-16000
    2 x 1Tb WD Black Edition drives
    Thermaltake Toughpower 850 PSU
    XFX Radeon HD 6870 Black edition (dual fan)
    XFX Radeon HD 6870 (dual fan)
    1 x 24 inch Viewsonic
    2 x 19 inch Viewsonic
    Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Not sure what the problem is, but lets not wait to find out after the warrantee is over.

T-J Steele, have you checked whether all contact pads of the cpu have marks from the socket pins?
    I've started the following thread
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/4...n-problem.html
    concerning a similar problem as yours.

Intel Core i7 2600K, 3.4GHz
    ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
    G.Skill Ripjaws-X 4x4 GB Kit, DDR3-1333, CL7-7-7-21@1.5V
    Samsung HD 501 LJ
    Samsung HD 203 WI
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512
    BeQuiet 600W

Thanks for your reply...

Just how the heck did you notice that. I was looking at the pictures on the posts and i do see what you mean. That could also be the cause of all the BSOD i've bee getting lately when playing games or even after a system boot. It just happened a few minutes ago when i powered up my system. Sometimes i get them 5 or 6 times back to back then i give up and stop playing (BF3). I also noticed that if i bring the CPU ratio down to 4.0 it doesn't seem to Blue screen at all.

Anyways, i'll have to take a look at my CPU, but i'll leave that for the week end...

Quote Originally Posted by T-J Steele View Post
    I have the same problem with the Z68 Extreme7 Gen 3 MB. It boots up, all fans power up, mouse does not power up or keyboard and no display. I sometimes have to power cycle the computer a couple times before it actually boots up. This is a brand new board and CPU that i purchased last week. System is stock with no overclocking or anything. I checked the Bios but there is nothing i could have forgotten in there that would cause this kind of behaviour.

Intel i7 2600k
    8 Gb Patriot PC3-16000
    Thermaltake Toughpower 850 PSU
    1 x 24 inch Viewsonic
    2 x 19 inch Viewsonic
    Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Not sure what the problem is, but lets not wait to find out after the warrantee is over.
    Intel i7 2600k
    16 Gb Patriot PC3-16000
    1 OCZ 60 Gb SATA III Solid State Drive (Boot drive)
    Thermaltake ToughPower 850 PSU
    Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case
    1 x 24 inch Viewsonic
    2 x 19 inch Viewsonic
    Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit.

Thread Information