Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Asrock 970 Extreme3 and FX-8120 keeps throttling and I'm not overclocking.

Default Re: Asrock 970 Extreme3 and FX-8120 keeps throttling and I'm not overclocking.

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Did Et6 also have confusing names?
    No, ET6 reports Motherboard and CPU temps.

Maybe you can compare the bios PC Health displayed temps with windows idle temps?
    I already did that, but the BIOS temos are always much higher as Windows always throttles things down

I have an inexpensive Harbor Freight digital infrared laser thermometer that is accurate and gives consistent results.
    I have a Craftsman "Non-contact High Temperature InfraRed Thermometer" That seems OK, but it never shows high temps. Close to what the computer shows.

You should update your forum signature so that you don't confuse us with the facts :)
    Will do, but I think confusion has already set in. lol

To clear things up, I don't have the ASRock board anymore. So I can't test it anymore. I am just curious to what the CPUTI from HWMonityor was reporting. It was throttling down the CPU when it reached 53C. The CPU temp was always below 30C full load, and 9C-11C idle. So the CP was fine it seems. it was the motherboard thinking it was hot and throttling down, to a sleep mode type idle of 1.4GHz, I'm assuming.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The GigaByte board works great under all stress test, except Prime 95 and Intel Burn Test and it will throttle down to a lowest 2.8GHz to 3.4GHz. Not sure what is causing this. I assume it's the new chip having four dual-core chips. Or possible the motherboard or even software/drivers. But I can't seem to find others with the issue and many report Prime95 working fine.

So far wPrime and HyperPI work flawlessly, even at 4.3GHz. I do notice when the speed drops to 2.8GHz that vCore sometimes drops to 1.275, while stressing reports 1.312v to 1.408v. mostly 1.392v, especially on smooth test like wPrime ans Hyper Pi. I have the BIOS set to 1.375v. It idles at 0.912v

You know of other stress programs, especially that show a score/time to compare with? I usually use LinX, but it seems to not work at all. It just sits idle and does nothing at all.

-=Mark=-
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Question Re: Asrock 970 Extreme3 and FX-8120 keeps throttling and I'm not overclocking.

A web search using: CPUTIN pdf included:

From: http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~wmcowan.../W83627THF.pdf
    Winbond I/O chip, September, 2006 Datasheet

AUXTIN Temperature sensor 3 inputs. It is used for temperature maturation.
    CPUTIN Temperature sensor 2 inputs. It is used for CPU1 temperature maturation.

There is additional information in this datasheet.

You might find more useful and recent information by searching for the datasheet that covers the super I/O chip for your motherboard. You will need to determine the chip's manufacturer and part number, such as W83627THF.

I assume that AUXTIN is an auxiliary temperature sensor that possibly controls a system fan header and/or motherboard voltage control. It's possible that the sensor is defective and/or the monitoring programs are not interpreting the chip's data correctly. A future bios update might fix this problem.
    CPUTIN might refer to CPU Package.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Lightbulb Re: Asrock 970 Extreme3 and FX-8120 keeps throttling and I'm not overclocking.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJohnson View Post
    No, ET6 reports Motherboard and CPU temps.

I already did that, but the BIOS temos are always much higher as Windows always throttles things down

I have a Craftsman "Non-contact High Temperature InfraRed Thermometer" That seems OK, but it never shows high temps. Close to what the computer shows.

Will do, but I think confusion has already set in. lol

To clear things up, I don't have the ASRock board anymore. So I can't test it anymore. I am just curious to what the CPUTI from HWMonityor was reporting. It was throttling down the CPU when it reached 53C. The CPU temp was always below 30C full load, and 9C-11C idle. So the CP was fine it seems. it was the motherboard thinking it was hot and throttling down, to a sleep mode type idle of 1.4GHz, I'm assuming.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The GigaByte board works great under all stress test, except Prime 95 and Intel Burn Test and it will throttle down to a lowest 2.8GHz to 3.4GHz. Not sure what is causing this. I assume it's the new chip having four dual-core chips. Or possible the motherboard or even software/drivers. But I can't seem to find others with the issue and many report Prime95 working fine.

So far wPrime and HyperPI work flawlessly, even at 4.3GHz. I do notice when the speed drops to 2.8GHz that vCore sometimes drops to 1.275, while stressing reports 1.312v to 1.408v. mostly 1.392v, especially on smooth test like wPrime ans Hyper Pi. I have the BIOS set to 1.375v. It idles at 0.912v

You know of other stress programs, especially that show a score/time to compare with? I usually use LinX, but it seems to not work at all. It just sits idle and does nothing at all.

-=Mark=-
    I had this problem with my FX 6200. i disabled everything but then i looked around a bit reading all the settings and i had to disable the Load Line Calibration for all AM3+ CPUs and it worked. im at 4.2ghz stable but cant go higher for some odd reason (i believe its the board, it was 85 bucks :P)

Default Re: Asrock 970 Extreme3 and FX-8120 keeps throttling and I'm not overclocking.

Quote Originally Posted by bottenfield125 View Post
    I had this problem with my FX 6200. i disabled everything but then i looked around a bit reading all the settings and i had to disable the Load Line Calibration for all AM3+ CPUs and it worked. im at 4.2ghz stable but cant go higher for some odd reason (i believe its the board, it was 85 bucks :P)
    Congratulations on getting your going.

My self, I didn't have much luck with LLC, but on my Gigabyte board it had APM that needed to be disabled. I remember looking for it in the ASock board before returning it and it wasn't there. Maybe check yours. It was under Advanced Setting--> Cpu Configuration if I recall correctly. I know it should be with the Cool and Quiet, C-states, etc... whatever that menu is called.

-=Mark=-
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

I too am having the same throttling problem with the FX-8120, and 990FX Extreme3 board. Tried disabling all power saving features, enabling/disabling LLC, C1E, CnQ, APM, etc..individually, together, etc all with no luck. Spent hours trying to diagnose the issue. It seems that my temperature sensor on AUXTIN and CPUTIN are getting extremely high readings.. CPUTIN was reading 42c in normal range when idle and 127c when CPU is under load. I know this isn't the correct reading because of my ambient temps and having 12 fans running in my system along with corsair H100.

If the cpu thinks its hot, it will throttle down.. so it may just be a sensor malfunction on the board itself.
    I have the latest bios (v1.20), running 8GB ram @ 1600, 1000w PSU, and HD4870.

-=FathomX=-

I too thought it was a sensor issue, but I had a second one cross-shipped to me with my rma with newegg and same exact issue, same exact readings. Maybe a botched BIOS as APM was the only thing I changed on my Gigabyte board and all was fine. Maybe try loading optimized defaults and only disabling the APM. My readings never changed, but I was allowed to go past my low ceiling limit.

also, cputin isn't the cpu temp. the cpu temps are under the cpu core section. I have no idea where cputin or any of the others are located. compare with asrock tuning utility to compare temps to see what they are actually labeled by asrock. but finding them on the mb will be next to impossible.

I found this link to a pdf on using the new CCC for overclocking. It doesn't show up like that on my Llano and my bulldozer is tore down and can't test. but it looks like an awesome overclock utility. Better than any other I've ever seem.

http://sites.amd.com/us/documents/am...ning_guide.pdf

Luck
    -=Mark=-

Hi guys.

I have the same problem, with my AMD Fx 8120 and AsRock 970 Extreme3. Cpu watercooled with Corsair H70 (tested with 6 different 120mm brands fans: noctua HF-P12, noctua NF-S12B flx, NoiseBlocker NB-eLoop B12, and Scythe Gentle Typhoon @ 5400rpm) non could stop the FX from throttling (3.1GHz to ~1.4GHz).
    What i know so far: from the producer's page AMD Processors for Desktops: AMD Phenom that the FX 8120 max temps = 61*C.
    This temperature refers to the CPU cores, beware that many ppl mistaken associate 61*C with the CPU case, that is not one and the same thing.
    It is known that CPU case is warmer than the cores, because of the trapped air under the CPU case, comparison: an 45*C core temperature will gives an 70*C CPU case temperature.

Always beware of the CPU core temps, monitoring with Aida64, that indicates temp/core.

After many discussions i found that this CPU works just FINE, no problem with the temperature.
    The REAL problem is with the motherboards, expecially AsRock, Assus, and even some Gigabytes.
    For more accurate info, the problem is with the VRM/mosfets circuit on the mobo. On the Asrock 970 Extreme 3 and some other mobos the vrm have heatsinks, but for some reason they still overheating.
    The protection they have makes them to lower the cpu vattage, from 1.3-1.4V to 0.80v, to cool themself down,if not, the vrm's ends by blowing up.

Some say that u can repair this problem by installing the Amd OverDrive program, and try tu turn off the AMD turbo core control, and APM (Application Power Management).
    If that doesn't help then the problem is still from VRM's temps...

I have copy/paste the followings info, from other site. TNX to YUJI.

Tip #1. CPU Power Saving Throttling (Bios related)

Disable
    • AMD Turbo Core Technology
    • APM (Application Power Management) *disabling the AMD Turbo Core Technology via AMD OverDrive utility will also disable APM)*
    • Cool n Quiet *I actually keep this enabled so I don't waste power since high clocks aren't needed under low loads*
    • CPU Thermal Throttle *be careful keep an eye on your temps, especially core temps, leave this enabled if your not the cautious type* (FX-8120 < 61C, FX-8150 <61C, FX-6100 <70C, FX 4100 <71C)
    • Core C6 State
    • C1E
    • Enhanced Halt State
    • Any other Power Saving Features in your bios, usually under CPU Advanced, Google them first.

Enable
    • Load Line Calibration, play with this setting until you get stable voltages under load, remeber every bios is different, some might even be better with it disabled, but most best enabled and manually set.

Notes
    *Ensure that CPU NB, Memory or HT Link values are running at default stable values.*
    *CPU / Chasis Fan Control (set to full speed for best cooling, if too loud play with the manual speeds.)

Tip #2. CPU Load Throttling (Bios problem)

• Get AMD Overdrive and Open and Enable Turbo Core Control then Push OK then Open and Disable Turbo Core Control then push OK then exit AMD Overdrive.

Now test see if it still throttles. If this works then is most likely a bios issue, and you'll have to do this each time you restart. If it doesn't work then possibly from temps.

Known Motherboards with this problem
    ASRock 880G Pro3Bios 1.40

Known Fixed Motherboards & Bios Versions
    Coming soon.....

Tip#3. CPU Temp Throttling (CPU/Mosfet / Board)
    • Get High End Heatsinks/Cooling for your CPU and your Mosfets.

Heatsink/Cooling Review Websites
    Top 5 Heatsink Charts on FrostyTech.com
    Cooling | Hardware Canucks
    Performance Charts Cooling - Watercooling - Benchmark

Heatsinks/Cooling Shopping Websites
    Quiet PC - Quiet Computer Hardware for a Quiet PC
    FrozenCPU.com | 1.877.243.8266 | World's Largest Selection of PC Modification Supplies
    http://www.performance-pcs.com
    Computer Liquid Cooling & Premium Air Products, Parts, Kits & Accessories | Sidewinder Computers
    Xoxide.com - Custom ATX Computer Cases, PC Mods, Computer Case mods, and Modded PC Cases
    SVC.com - Computer Case Fans, CPU Heatsinks, Water Cooling, and more!
    Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More!
    TigerDirect.com - Electronics, Tablets, Phones, Office Supplies & Video Games

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information