Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows Update Error 8024402F

Default Re: Windows Update Error 8024402F

I think I've got something. I've got to backtrack, or I will have to start from scratch and do it again.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

OK, thanks, just checking that you tried that since it's the easiest thing to try.

You never answered me about the internet, can you use the internet to visit any other web pages?

No. My IE is still stalled, The good news is, I got a list of updates to download, and with my LAN settings the same as they were when I first installed Windows. The bad news (and very bad) is, when it reaches a certain point, either it freezes in mid-stride, fails to execute the download to its completion, or fails to stop whenever I hit 'Stop updates'.

My only conclusion throughout all this is that I have an unstable LAN controller on my board. As flawless as my connection is from my DSL provider to my laptop, my connection to my desktop shouldn't be so clogged. When all else fails to resolve this kind of instability, I am left with the same conclusion that seems to be the only one left.

I had a motherboard that failed to recognize hard drives inside an external docking bay after 3 months of functionality, even after reinstalling Windows and checking my hard drive settings and device manager information, which, undoubtedly, reported, "The device is working properly" (which was true only when I connected the docking bay to my laptop). A replacement solved that problem. There's a better chance that a replacement, and a strip-down and rebuild, will solve this one, because as I see it, I have no other choice. I've seen even mild instability lead to something worse before.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 02-04-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

OK, install firefox, and see if you can then browse any websites or not. Ohh, I see you got it working, that's great, well kinda I see it stalls :(

Ya, the only way to test if it's the LAN onboard would be to add in a PCI, PCIE, or USB LAN adapter and see if that works or not. You did install the latest LAN drivers right? If not, install those and see if it helps.

Did you try to reset the modem? It has firmware that locks up occasionally. Make sure to hold the reset button down for 30-seconds to restore factory defaults. Not just unplug it then plug it back in.

also, it has to be power cycled from when it was last plugged in from your other machine. Your modem locks itself to the machines MAC Address and won't work properly if plugged in another machine if you don't power cycle it as it has a different MAC address. It can even happen on the same machine if you have two NICs as the MAC address is tied to the NIC device.

Good luck
    -=Mark=-
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Interesting observation. There is a reset switch in the back of my DSL modem.

I'll give it a shot. If the bottlenecks and failures continue, I'll have my RAM tested and double-checked for compatibility, and if they check out, I'll have to RMA the board. The data flow from my DSL provider is perfect (tested with SpeedTest.net, and a bunch of unobstructed Windows Updates on my laptop). The bottlenecks/failures begin after it reaches my desktop motherboard. Again, I'm convinced I have an unstable or corrupted LAN controller on my board. This is not the first time something failed on one of my motherboards.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 02-05-2012 at 01:50 AM.

My RAM and CPU both check out, and so do all 3 of my hard drives and both of my optical drives. Again, that leaves me with the on-board LAN/Ethernet controller. Time to RMA, because I don't take chances with instability as persistent as this. Time for ASRock to work on a new BIOS for this board.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 02-05-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Bummer, I was hoping you'd get that Working. It's such a pain to RMA.

If you want to try one more shot in the dark. Try downloading the RealTek driver directly from RealTek.

Link to RealTek 8111E driver:
    Realtek

Try the driver only and just update it from Device Manager. If that fails you can try installing the RealTek software package and say a couple of prayers.

Good luck
    -=Mark=-
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Unbelievable!

Here's the file I picked up for Win7:

ftp://WebUser2:YbwD5pB2@208.70.202.2...0_01162012.zip

Thank you! You might have just saved me $15 to ship my board back. I can access Web sites all over IE, and I have no problems with Firefox. Updates now pour in every time I restart with the DSL modem still activated.

Now that leaves me with one question: Why did ASRock put the Z86M/USB3 on the market without fully testing the driver they provided on the DVD? On my motherboard's DVD, the version ID is listed as 7044 (version 7.044). What you see in the Web address is 7050, the latest, released 2 weeks ago.

Go to the ASRock site, and you will see that the version available for download is 7044, exactly the same as the one on my DVD. I would not be surprised if I'm not the only one who got Windows Update Error 8024402F because the LAN driver provided by ASRock either fails to work with the board or fails to work with their DSL provider, or both.

Who on this board has connections to the people at ASRock? Tell them to upgrade their LAN driver to 7.050 pronto, and put it on their DVD for this board. Better yet, tell them to consider applying some of the components from this driver to the next BIOS they release for this board.

Thank you for making my lousy week end on a good note. Instead of taking my machine apart for an RMA of this board, I will simply take it apart to rearrange my wires and cables. I just hope the next upgrade Realtek releases for their LAN driver doesn't ruin the connection; and once more, I have to check their drivers for WinXP and Linux, once I load those.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 02-05-2012 at 02:07 PM.

I'm sure it will make its way to the asrock website soon. It is dated January 16, 2012, so It's only been a few weeks. It often takes a month or so for manufacturers to get these and test them on their system before they they make them available for download.

Grats!
    -=Mark=-

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information