Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Update Error 8024402F

Default [SOLVED - #28] Windows Update Error 8024402F

I have a machine with an ASRock Z68M/USB3 board and Windows 7 Professional installed on my primary drive (Western Digital WD7502AAEX). After installing Win7 and all the software and drivers on my Z68M/USB3 DVD, I went to check for updates for Win7, and I got Error 8024402F, which pretty much made Windows Update inoperable.

I went to Microsoft's Web site on my laptop, tried a couple of their fixes (transferred from my laptop to my desktop via USB flash drive), and I still get the error. Another error stopped one of the fixes in the middle of the process of analyzing my Windows Update error and the attempt to fix it.

I had to use my laptop to download the fixes, because when I opened up Internet Explorer on my desktop, MSN would pop up, but with every attempt to go to another Web site, or even another Web page within MSN or elsewhere, I got a blank screen with either the green load line slowing to a crawl or the screen popping up 'Internet Explorer cannot find this Webpage'.

From what I've read, they say that this error is the result of a registry error. I suspect that one or more of the programs on the Z68M/USB3 DVD is the cause of this error and the reason my Web access (with the exception of MSN's front page) has frozen.

Has anyone else experienced this? And are there any solutions and/or fixes that have proven to work before? Does anyone know which program or driver (if any) on the Z68M/USB3 DVD may be the cause of Error 8024402F?

A side bar: My Windows 7 Experience Index reads 1.0 for Graphics and Gaming Graphics. Is that normal for an ASRock Z68 board with an i7-2700K and no graphics card?
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 02-06-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Solution found

Default Re: Windows Update Error 8024402F

The simple and fastest solution is to reinstall windows. Make sure to download all driver from ASRock's website. Do not use the CD as it is usually outdated and needs updating anyway.

If you want to track it down, start uninstalling programs and see if it fixes it. but since it sounds like you just installed windows, then you wouldn't lose anything by a reinstall.

Make sure you download all windows updates first. then motherboard drivers, video drivers, then any ASRock and other applications.

Google says a common problem for this error is ActiveX has been block. either through router or Windows.

Good luck
    -=Mark=-
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJohnson View Post
    Google says a common problem for this error is ActiveX has been block. either through router or Windows.

Good luck
    -=Mark=-
    ActiveX, you say? Does SmartView use ActiveX? From the way it looks in their screenshots, I'd bet it overuses ActiveX, making it the prime suspect for this error. I installed that along with everything else, and once I activated my DSL modem, a message envelope from SmartView popped up on the lower-right-hand corner over my ASRock XFast LAN Monitor. When I opened it, IE automatically opened, and a SmartView window opened, asking me if I want to activate it.

My hard drive is erased, ready to try this again at midnight. I'll try it the other way, and use Windows Update first, before installing the ASRock drivers and utilities. Has anyone else come up with error 8024402F after installing SmartView? Has anyone else pinpointed the program and version that caused the error?
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 02-01-2012 at 06:14 AM.

No good. Without the appropriate drivers installed first, my DSL modem's DATA stream is nonexistent. I get a light from the DSL stream, and one from the INTERNET stream, but no light from DATA. Therefore, my machine can't make a connection.

I'm using my laptop to download the ASRock Z68M/USB3 drivers and utilities to a DVD, and I will install from there. The drivers must be installed first before I attempt to access the Web and use Windows Update.
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 02-01-2012 at 05:40 PM.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

A web search using: Windows Update Error 8024402F might help.

Try the following procedure:
    1. Install win7 and don't activate the install for now.
    2. Donwload and install win7 SP1 from a dvd.
    3. Only install the necessary ASRock drivers needed for network access (for now).
    4. Check the win7 Device Manager for any problems.
    5. Run windows update.

If you still have win update issues, check the event log to see if any log entries might be related to the problem.
    Use the win7 installation dvd to try to repair the installation if the update problem reoccurs.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Or download and install SP1 ISO so you don't have to install SP1 after the install.

Let me know if you need links, and if so tell me which version and type 32/64 you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Or download and install SP1 ISO so you don't have to install SP1 after the install.

Let me know if you need links, and if so tell me which version and type 32/64 you need.
    I have the 32-bit version of Win7; so, I will need the 32-bit SP1 for Win7. I hope there is a decent ISO-to-DVD program for WinXP, because I don't think I can trust my DVD burner with XP on my laptop, since XP thinks my DVD is a recordable DVD (whether DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW or DVD-RAM) is a CD. I tried moving my ready-to-burn ASRock drivers (from the Web site) to a DVD, and it didn't work. Worse yet, I tried moving them to a CD, and when I put that CD in my new machine, there was nothing on it.

I put my new drivers on a USB flash drive and loaded them on my desktop, and I still got Error 8024402F, after an 8-minute wait. The mysterious thing is, the sooner I activated my DSL modem, Win7 asked me for my network location (obviously I chose 'Home'). Even more mysterious, when I activate Internet Explorer, I get the front page of MSN, but nothing else. If I try to access another site, or even another page within MSN, IE stalls. I didn't have this problem with the machine I built before (and dismantled).

By the way, I tried the Microsoft Fix-it supplied by this page...

You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates

...and ended up with this message:

"Fix It troubleshooting cannot continue because an error occurred. We're sorry, but the program encountered an error trying to contact the server. Please try again later. [Code 80072EFE]"

And one other thing: No Windows activation just yet. Since the activation system is tied to the updating system, it is frozen, and shows 2 days to activate (as of now). All 3 of my LEDs are lit on my DSL modem (DSL, DATA and INTERNET), but somewhere, probably with the interaction between this new build of mine and Windows 7, a wall has come up, that allows the front page of MSN through, but nothing else.

NZXT Vulcan MicroATX Case
    ASRock Z68M/USB3 Motherboard
    3.5GHz Intel Core i7-2700K
    Two G.Skill RipjawsX F3-12800CL8D-4GBXM (2x2GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL8-8-8-24 1.5V)
    Western Digital WD7502AAEX 750GB Caviar Black SATA 3.0 Hard Drive in SATA3_0 socket
    (500GB for Win7 and 250GB for Win8)
    eSATA cable in SATA3_1 socket
    Two WD6401AALS 640GB Caviar Black SATA 2.0 Hard Drives in SATA2_2 and SATA2_3 sockets
    (one intended for WinXP and Linux, the other intended for internal backup)
    LG WH10LS30 10x Blu-Ray Burner in SATA2_4
    Lite-On iHAS224-06 DVD Burner in SATA2_5
    Ultra ULT40336 Floppy Drive/USB Card Reader in floppy socket and USB10 header
    HD Audio in the Front Panel Audio header
    Standard Conexant 56K fax modem in the PCI slot (No phone wire connected)
    Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W Power Supply

The only items I moved from my old machine (which used a Foxconn A74ML-K board and a 3GHz AMD Phenom II X2-945) were the two 640GB hard drives and both optical burners. I had no problems updating Win7, from the same Win7 DVD I'm using now (I bought Win7 in Aug. 2010).
    Last edited by CookyMonzta; 02-02-2012 at 02:52 PM.

PM coming your way for the ISO links

And yes, there are plenty of free ISO programs, I'd suggest Magic ISO, ImgBurn, or UltraISO. Windows 7 / Vista can also burn an ISO image if you have it installed in another system, just right click the ISO image and choose "Open with Windows Disk Image Burner". When burning, please be sure you choose to burn at the slowest speed possible, this is always suggested when burning an OS install disk.

Here are the above mentioned programs
    The Official ImgBurn Website
    MagicISO - Convert BIN to ISO, Create, Edit, Burn, Extract ISO file, ISO/BIN converter/extractor/editor
    ISO CD DVD image creator, editor and ISZ DMG DAA UIF to ISO converter - UltraISO can extract/create/edit/convert CD and DVD image files directly, make bootable CDs and convert ISZ DMG DAA UIF to ISO. (Trial)

Please also read how to burn ISO image
    How to write an image file to a disc using ImgBurn - ImgBurn Support Forum
    iB::Topic::How to burn an ISO CD/DVD image
    The Official ImgBurn Website

Windows 7 can also be installed via USB, so if you have a 4GB or larger USB and continue to have issues with your DVD let me know and I'll link you to a simple program from Microsoft to create a bootable USB Stick (Windows 7 USB DVD download tool, in case you want to grab it via google)

Normally, anytime I have windows update issue, or have to correct them for clients, it's due to incorrectly installing .NET updates as they need to be installed in a certain order.

I can't find my order list, but this one looks correct (1.0, 1.1, 2.0. 3.0 and 3.5, but leave out 2.0 now because 3.5 SP1 will install it)! The order is VERY important, and incorrect order is why there is errors with windows updates most of the time
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_AU/down...DocID=HT027025

Install .Net 4.0 last, after installing all of the above, and see here if you need more help as this contains the proper order (But still skip 2.0) I believe and .NET removal tools so you can start over
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982/en-us
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982/en-us
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-02-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Got the SP1 ISO this morning and burned to DVD. Will upgrade Win7 and check Windows Update tonight.

Disable and or remove any firewalls and antivirus programs you have installed too, if you continue to have this issue, sometimes those block windows updates

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information