Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 changing to AHCI from IDE - Windows Loads VERY SLOW after

Default ASRock Z68 Extreme4 changing to AHCI from IDE - Windows Loads VERY SLOW after

I have pretty much the identical situation to this person, except windows does eventually load after about 10-15 minutes:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/windows/...e-install.html

After installing a new hard drive (the Samsung 2tb) succesfully, I decided to investigate AHCI. I knew nothing about it, and when I looked into it I found out I should be using that for performance improvements. I followed the same guide as the person who's issue I'm referencingk and all the drivers loaded when windows started up, but it takes longer than usual to shut down (a minute or so) and forever to load up. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

ASRock Z68 Extereme4
    Windows 7 Home Edition
    CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB)
    1 x Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    1 x SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Thanks!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 changing to AHCI from IDE - Windows Loads VERY SLOW after

Please be sure you have connected your OS drive to the first Intel SATA 6Gb/s port (SATA3_0 normally), then put your CD/DVD drive on the last Intel port.

Then install the latest Intel driver and program, you can get that here, you want the third link
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...age+Technology

Also install this, first link
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Prod...?ProductID=816

Default Re: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 changing to AHCI from IDE - Windows Loads VERY SLOW after

Thanks for your reply. When running the installer for the first program you linked me to
    -http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=20624&P roductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software &ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technolo gy&lang=eng

I get this message:

"This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software."

I was able to install the second software.

Edit: I had to wait for it to boot up in AHCI mode in order to install that first software, the problem was I was trying to install it in IDE mode. After doing so the next boot was quick and then some drivers installed automatically. Now I'm all good.

Thanks a ton for your help kind sir!
    Last edited by uhzHiro; 02-04-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Ok so here's a twist. Apparently doing that messed up my sound! It's all scratchy and pop and crackly. If I change back to IDE mode the sound goes back to A-ok.

Do you have any idea what that's about and how I might fix that? I tried updating the realtek sound drivers from the download page here:
    ASRock > Products > Motherboard > Z68 Extreme4 > Download

That didn't fix it though.

Thanks again.

Ya, you must be in AHCI mode (Or RAID) to install the program, sounds like you are still in IDE mode. I see you got it though, sorry I replied as I read your reply!

For the audio, are you on the latest BIOS? AHCI shouldn't matter to your audio, but maybe a BIOS update would correct this issue if it's caused by DPC latency.

DPC latency checker is here so you can see if that's the issue or not
    DPC Latency Checker

Older driver versions might help too, but you don't want to have to revert back to slow IDE

You nailed it! I ran the DPC Latency checker and I was wayyy to high (over 8000). I flashed from version 1.5 of the bios to 1.7, and now the latency is down and the audio is fixed.

You have earned your Guru title today, thanks!

Great to see the BIOS update fixed it for you!

And thanks for the kind words, they are most appreciated!!

Does this work with WinXP (32 bit) as well as Win7? I plan to install (dual-boot) Win7 Ultimate, 64 bit version with a new SSD soon and would like to convert my existing WinXP system before I install Win7. If this fix doesn't work for WinXP, can anyone point me to a procedure that works for the non-Gen3 Extreme4?

I'm running BIOS version 1.6 and have a couple of 500GB WD Caviar Blacks, if that matters.

Many thanks,
    uszkanni

Does what work in XP 32 bit? If you mean the updated BIOS, that is on your motherboard, so it doesn't matter what OS you use

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Does what work in XP 32 bit? If you mean the updated BIOS, that is on your motherboard, so it doesn't matter what OS you use
    No, not the BIOS update. I have WinXP (32 bit) running with IDE and want to switch over to AHCI. If I just change the BIOS setting from IDE mode to AHCI, I get the splash screen, a BSOD and an immediate reboot. I am guessing that the method you suggested to unzHiro won't work as XP, unlike Win7, doesn't just boot slowly. Was hoping that someone knew of a procedure to convert over to AHCI on a system already loaded with XP.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information