Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 USB power issues

Default Re: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 USB power issues

Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post
    clr cmos will/should set bios back to default settings..but even for most of those who dont overclock ,what use would that be if you cant enter uefi,
    storage defaults to ide.. if you cant change that to ahci you wont get very far, unless youve been using ide the whole time, if you use 2 boot drives.. cant change to the other etc.

I meant cmos reset purely for Ped's problem since he had a debug error that he didnt have before ,unless he changed his setup in some other way, but I cant tell from his post whether he was using this gaming mouse when things were fine, or the mouse started the problem.
    Well I've been hitting CMOS reset for the past two weeks now giving I've been tryin to build my new rig. I also had some other errors from dr debug so given everything I've seen, this USB problem was potentially always there but perhaps masked by other problems.

Right now I'm running my rig with memtest86 to check on the original problem I thought I had.. Which is Ram. However trying to go thru the process of elimination.

So this legacy 2.0 stuff does not help me one bit trying to install windows and then run UEFI to crank performance out of my CPU and RAM. Really annoying but it may be wishful thinking that it's just one problem for me at this point.

I also wrote an email to the ASrock tech support on the same issue.

If the disable legacy USB trick helps ya, more power to ya. However kick is right, not my preferred method given what I gotta still get done.

Cheers to ya both. I still will hope we get one solved.

wait, will setting USB 2.0 to disable legacy actually permanently remove UEFI, even if I do a clr CMOS? Or wont clr CMOS reset disabled legacy back to enable and UEFI will load again (so I don't have to flash using fdd)?

Quote Originally Posted by inigmatus View Post
    wait, will setting USB 2.0 to disable legacy actually permanently remove UEFI, even if I do a clr CMOS? Or wont clr CMOS reset disabled legacy back to enable and UEFI will load again (so I don't have to flash using fdd)?
    The clr CMOS will indeed reset the disable legacy USB 2.0 to default. Default being legacy USB 2.0 is active.

My point is, when you deactivate it in the UEFI, you no longer have the ability to get back into the UEFI with your keyboard. Seems it deactivates the legacy ports during POST, then when you get into windows it turns them on. Which is fine I guess if you are not going to be playing with BIOS settings.

However the moment you DO want to start going back into the UEFI, the only way to do so is to "clr CMOS" again so your USB 2.0 keyboard or whatever can be active during POST. Crappy way to have to do that IMHO.

Side note: if I do remember correctly, the PS/2 ports also seem disactivated by default. So maybe if you have a PS/2 keyboard lying around, you could activate that first before you disable the legacy 2.0.

Anyway personally my problem seems to be more severe now than I thought. My memtest86 results came up with garbage on the screen, so seems to be a more serious mobo problem. However will change threads for that discussion.

Cheers.

I had this same problem. Just my plain-jane Logitech optical mouse and a Dell multimedia keyboard. Had the keyboard in the top left 2.0 slot (in the rear) the mouse right next to it. And every time I started the thing, it would hang on the BIOS screen. Then I'd take out the mouse, leave in the keyboard, and it would start right up.

Yesterday, I switched them. Mouse on the left, keyboard on the right. It worked. It now starts up without fail and does not hang.

Someone smarter and more thorough than me will have to figure out why that mattered, but the answer might lead to the root cause.

Ok, I finally got a ps2 keyboard ($3) and I can F2 into BIOS just fine. I turned off USB 2.0 legacy and as expected my USB keyboard does not powerup until after Windows loads. And as expected, I can still access BIOS just fine using F2 on my ps2 keyboard. So disabling USB 2.0 legacy does not disable the ps2 keyboard.

What this means is that I can finally plugin in as many USB devices as I have ports on my p67 Extreme4 Gen3 mobo and it won't freeze on boot up anymore! Issue solved. Just a word of info, the USB Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard is not compatible with any ps/2 adapter since it contains no electronics to use such an adapter (which is why MS didn't include such an adapter with the keyboard). So I did have to purchase a real ps2 keyboard. But for less than $3 and a solid work around to my USB issues I'm not complaining. I love this motherboard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information