Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: extreme3 gen3 not powering on?

Default extreme3 gen3 not powering on?

hello please help me. just bought new board and it will not power on, is it dead
    I've checked the psu on other pc and it works fine.
    i do not have cpu installed could that be the problem, i was just making sure PSU was not faulty.
    but PSU will not power on with this board
    I've tried with atxv12 plugged in and not plugged in.
    please help .
    would the problem happen if the MB was grounded to case?.
    any tips would be helpful, i do not want to return this board i like it to much.
    Last edited by feelthepain; 02-10-2012 at 06:24 PM.

Default Re: extreme3 gen3 not powering on?

Yes, cpu must be installed.
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Talking Re: extreme3 gen3 not powering on?

ok thank you,i am just gonna wait then till i get cpu.
    some peeps on other forums say you can start the mb with no cpu+mem and the psu will still boot
    never tryed to see if psu will start this way before so am just getting a bit paniky that mb or psu is fuilty

kick is offline Senior Member

If you really really have to test the psu:_ id just wait till you have the cpu and other bits its not going to do anything for you now cept give a whirring fan noise.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post414789

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...tml#post414792
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

thanks.i did the paperclip test not long after i made this thread and the psu starts up fine.
    but there is still a chance that not enough power is getting through the psu to the mb.
    if only the psu fans would make a whirling noise at-least i could defo rule out a duff psu.
    Last edited by feelthepain; 02-11-2012 at 05:33 AM.

kick is offline Senior Member

Im sorry but the last post makes no sense.
    Your power supply is working, thats good.

If you have other problems after you assemble the components , post away, but ideas on problems with assembled systems are tricky enough. Speculation before that is premature.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Quote Originally Posted by feelthepain View Post
    thanks.i did the paperclip test not long after i made this thread and the psu starts up fine.
    but there is still a chance that not enough power is getting through the psu to the mb.
    if only the psu fans would make a whirling noise at-least i could defo rule out a duff psu.
    If you're still concerned with your power supply, please list the make and model of it so we can tell you more about it.

Feel free to list all the makes and models of all your parts and we can make suggestions.

Knowing what you will be using this system for will also help in deciding if parts are powerful enough or maybe more than you actually need.

-=Mark=-

ps, if you did the power test with paper clip and the psu fan didn't come on, why did you say it was fine? did you plug peripherals into the power supply during the test to see if the power was getting to any or all of the connectors?
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

yahoo. this thread is closed its all good now,except for drcmos 45 error to do with my memory.
    but i am working that one out..ithink.
    thanks to all who posted you where very helpful.
    kick+mark the problem was i could not get the psu to start with the mobo,it was fine in my other pc
    thanks again.

Thread Information