Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Z68 Professional Gen3 Machine Check Error

Default Re: Z68 Professional Gen3 Machine Check Error

I would try +0.025V for offset. If the cpu is goodish you chould be able to drop llc to 5 if that tests ok
    I can certainly try this. When I first began ocing my i5 I was using fixed vcore, after finding a stable constant vcore (1.328) I switched over to offset. When I switched over to offset the calculation using load vcore and vid netted -.025. At the time I had started with my LLC at 3 but it was spiking above the 24hr stable fixed voltage of 1.328.

Q. Do you have the spread spectrum disabled to hold 100 bclck?. I mean does it drop to 99.8 with it enabled?
    You might be able to do 100.1 or 100.2 at 4.5 that speed should hold even with ss running.

I had disabled it because I was dropping to 99.8/7

PLL looks a litle low,is that some setting you applied yourself?
    Perhaps more like 1.83

After I had found a 24 hr stable vcore I began by lowering my PLL in the hopes of a lower vcore. That PLL voltage is 24 hrs prime stable but I am not opposed to changing it back to default.

The ramV try 1.55

I have tried this, it did not resolve my issue.

Machine check for me is usually insufficient juice for my overclock.
    This certainly could be the cause, its just confusing that I was 24hrs prime stable and having problems when cold booting. I dont know enough about the windows boot process. When windows begins booting does it downclock to idle speeds / voltage?

kick is offline Senior Member

I think the cpu will need more voltage to post properly initially.
    1.32 -1.33 just may not be enough for 4.5., more like 1.33-1.34 on mine tho I havent checked in awhile.
    To post into uefi you will need max v power for your clock.Then to boot into windows you will need max power v and maybe even more than you have set, for your clock. The windows power saving n speedstep down dont really come into play until its fully loaded.

I mean u can pare things back to the minimum voltages you need while in windows and to hold a testing program with no errors, but that isnt much use to you if you cant post and then boot into your OS consistently , since u gotta turn the pc off sometimes.

edit . Maybe 1.33 and like +0.01 offset would do

The PLL thing.. there was a clamour to be able to increase it. to get another 200-300mhz overclock and bioses were brought out to oblige.

Cant be definitive but somewhere in the 4.4-4.6ghz range depending on whether your cpu is a good one is where you get off the easy low voltage tuning but 4.5ghz is a decent clock and you probably cant go into undervoltage territory without problems.

My cpu; 4.6 = 1.36v actual for post n boot n benching +0.050 offset llc 5 other voltages standard as the axtu screen.
    4.8 =1.38v +.095 offset llc 3 and as above.benching V peaks going to 1.48+
    5.0 =1.41v +.105 offset llc1 peaks around 1.52V

I dont run 5.0 ,noise(fans) and probable increased component life reduction, but some run up to 1.6v thru it.
    Im sure I could do better,but maybe not much.

Speeds below about 4.4ghz in my case well very low voltages needed.

I think what Im saying is , since 4.5 ghz is actually a pretty good clock(see all the older posts where some hit a wall at 4.4and are disaappointed cos everyone else is gettin 4.5 easy,so they say) you may not be able to use the greenest voltages possible, and is it worth the effort?
    Last edited by kick; 03-01-2012 at 05:22 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post
    I think the cpu will need more voltage to post properly initially.
    1.32 -1.33 just may not be enough for 4.5., more like 1.33-1.34 on mine tho I havent checked in awhile.
    To post into uefi you will need max v power for your clock.Then to boot into windows you will need max power v and maybe even more than you have set, for your clock. The windows power saving n speedstep down dont really come into play until its fully loaded.

I mean u can pare things back to the minimum voltages you need while in windows and to hold a testing program with no errors, but that isnt much use to you if you cant post and then boot into your OS consistently , since u gotta turn the pc off sometimes.

edit . Maybe 1.33 and like +0.01 offset would do

The PLL thing.. there was a clamour to be able to increase it. to get another 200-300mhz overclock and bioses were brought out to oblige.

Cant be definitive but somewhere in the 4.4-4.6ghz range depending on whether your cpu is a good one is where you get off the easy low voltage tuning but 4.5ghz is a decent clock and you probably cant go into undervoltage territory without problems.

My cpu; 4.6 = 1.36v actual for post n boot n benching +0.050 offset llc 5 other voltages standard as the axtu screen.
    4.8 =1.38v +.095 offset llc 3 and as above.benching V peaks going to 1.48+
    5.0 =1.41v +.105 offset llc1 peaks around 1.52V

I dont run 5.0 ,noise(fans) and probable increased component life reduction, but some run up to 1.6v thru it.
    Im sure I could do better,but maybe not much.

Speeds below about 4.4ghz in my case well very low voltages needed.

I think what Im saying is , since 4.5 ghz is actually a pretty good clock(see all the older posts where some hit a wall at 4.4and are disaappointed cos everyone else is gettin 4.5 easy,so they say) you may not be able to use the greenest voltages possible, and is it worth the effort?
    So after much trial and error I seem to have found a solution although it is a little perplexing to me. I ended up doing a few things. First I tried upping VTT one step at a time all the way up to 1.2, which did not affect the problem. Then I tried upping the PLL, one step at a time, up to 1.9, which also did not help. I then tried stepping up my vcore 3-4 notches, also did not help the problem. Afterward, I decided to take the battery out of the mobo overnight and see what happened. Using my previous settings, I again tried to boot. I did not receive the bsod when I tried to boot directly to windows, but noticed that Lucid Logix failed to load/ had some issues loading. This led me to believe that maybe while windows is trying to load the onboard gpu dlls that it wasnt receiving enough vcore? So... afterward, I went back to bios and upped my vcore 1 notch (.005). Thus far I haven't had a bsod when trying to boot to cd or on cold boot Honestly, that confuses me a little because I had upped it 3-4 notches previously but I will take what I can get :)

kick is offline Senior Member

Its personal choice of course with any overclocking, but what I usually do is go a bit above my 24/7 target and test and bench there if I can.
    Like on my previous system i used a 505(actually may have been 504, I know I couldnt get above 507 stable) ref fsb(actually 2020(2016) mhz) with an 8 x 505 multiplier cpu then when things seemed stable I just took off 5 to bring it to 500,2000 fsb and 4.0ghz cpu speed.
    I didnt reduce any voltages and as long as the temp is ok, Id prefer to have(slightly) more V than my overclock needs rather than have to worry about the odd blue screen on a very hot day, or maybe a failure to post/boot.

My 4.8 settings on the asrock system will work at up to 100.04 base clock, but above that base clock I cant get a stable post/boot even at lower cpu speeds , memory /interface n bus speeds out of range.
    My 4.8 settings wont work stable at 4.9 even at 99.8.

Essentialy Im overvolted by a small amount for 4.8 or 4806.2 (100.013 bclock) but I dont bother exploring the absolute minimums for a particular speed.

Your upping of the 3-4 notches may have needed an adjustment in another voltage too..perhaps or maybe the battery out reset just cleaned everything up again.
    Glad it seems ok.
    Last edited by kick; 03-04-2012 at 02:35 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information