Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: new processer which would be best

Default new processer which would be best

hi i have an asrock n68 s mother board that needs an new processor i am looking for poss a quad core or better has anybody got any recommendations i would be interested to hear your views

kick is offline Senior Member

Default Re: new processer which would be best

Unfortunately for you , as allways, interest here on non intel cpu boards is lower.

Id just check the cpu compatability list on the asrock site.

Then do your own checks on the "bang for your $" value of each cpu thats in your budget by checking reviews of each one.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Quote Originally Posted by michaelga67 View Post
    hi i have an asrock n68 s mother board that needs an new processor i am looking for poss a quad core or better has anybody got any recommendations i would be interested to hear your views
    may I ask why you think it needs a new processor?

I see it is an AM2+ motherboard and will accept AM3 chips (update to latest BIOS before swapping out the old)

You are also limited to a 95watt chip or less. quads may be limioted selection.

you may be better off with a faster dual-core than a slower quad-core depending on your uses for your machine.

Usually the best bang is the 960T quad-core that can sometimes be unlocked for 6-cores, but that may put you over the 95Watt limit.

Luck
    -=Mark=-
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJohnson View Post
    may I ask why you think it needs a new processor?

I see it is an AM2+ motherboard and will accept AM3 chips (update to latest BIOS before swapping out the old)

You are also limited to a 95watt chip or less. quads may be limioted selection.

you may be better off with a faster dual-core than a slower quad-core depending on your uses for your machine.

Usually the best bang is the 960T quad-core that can sometimes be unlocked for 6-cores, but that may put you over the 95Watt limit.

Luck
    -=Mark=-
    it is a new board i bought of ebay and it has no processor in it i was thinking of a amd phenom ii x4

it is a new board i bought of ebay and it has no processor in it i was thinking of a amd phenom ii x4
    What will this system be used for? It's hard to make a recommendation otherwise.

You will be limited to 95w processors, so no Black Editions.

the x3 processors have high clocks, but NO L3 cache

the x4 and x6 have slower clocks, but they do have 6MB L3 cache.

I think the 960T is best all around choice. It has 3.0GHz w/ 6MB L3 cache. It has the ability to unlock cores later on if you wish to try. No sure if your current board supports this feature.

You may have to buy an old AM2+ cpu to flash to the newest BIOS in case it doesn't support your CPU.

-=Mark=-
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 i7 2600K 8GB (2 x 4GB) G.Skill 1333 CL9 MSI HD 7750 Corsair TX850 80Plus

GigaByte A75-UD4H AMD A*-3870K 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill 1866 CL8 On-Chip 6550D Antec EA-450 80Plus Platinum

thanks mark for your help the system will bu used for general home use only net surfing by me and a little gaming by the kids i was thinking of the 960t myself as it is am3 and 95 watts which my board is restricted too i saw it on line for about 120 euros alsow i saw the athlon ii x 4 for a little cheaper

If you're not going to be running the high end 3D graphics, then the x3 would probably be the best. It has the higher clock frequency of 3.4GHz. Unless you plan on buying a dedicated video card then x3 will be more than enough for your system. You can probably get by with a x2 processor with a 3.0GHz frequency or higher and be fine if you wish to save even more money.

-=Mark=-

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJohnson View Post
    If you're not going to be running the high end 3D graphics, then the x3 would probably be the best. It has the higher clock frequency of 3.4GHz. Unless you plan on buying a dedicated video card then x3 will be more than enough for your system. You can probably get by with a x2 processor with a 3.0GHz frequency or higher and be fine if you wish to save even more money.

-=Mark=-
    thanks i bought a 1g graphic card to go with my mother board recently and will fit it after i have the cpu in one last question do u know if i can unlock the cores on the 960t on an asrock n68 s board using b.i.o.s 2.10 which is the newest b.i.o.s for my board and if so how again thanks 4 all your help

thanks i bought a 1g graphic card to go with my mother board recently and will fit it after i have the cpu in
    Which video card is it? you may want to list any other pieces of hardware as well. For future reference, you may want to ask question before buying anything so you don't limit yourself and you can get the best parts for your budget.[wquote] one last question do u know if i can unlock the cores on the 960t on an asrock n68 s board using b.i.o.s 2.10 which is the newest b.i.o.s for my board and if so how again thanks 4 all your help[/QUOTE]I would guess no. This is an AM2 board updated for AM3, so I would imagine you can't. you can try searching their website for information on your motherboard.
    ASRock > 404 Page Not Found if this doesn't come out right. My enter key isn't working here right now for some off reason. probably something to do with the Windows 8 BETA I installed last night.Luck-=Mark=-

Thread Information