Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Asrock Fatality System Locking Up Under Windows 7 (64bit Ultimate)

Default Asrock Fatality System Locking Up Under Windows 7 (64bit Ultimate)

First, let me say I've searched the forum for similar problems before posting. I only found one that was remotely similar.

Problem: After about 6 months of normal usage, the system locks up with Windows 7 running. The mouse will move, but it jumps to whereever the input has indicated it should go after approx 1/2 to 1 second. The system doesn't respond to the keyboard (control-alt-del) does nothing. Only option is a reset or hard shutdown and reboot.

The problem doesn't seem to happen in the Windows safe mode. I thought maybe memory problems (and some new sticks are on order, ) but all the CD/flash drive memory testers give good results.

I've run all the anti-virus that I can from safe mode (including Kaspersky's own a/v which is installed, Malwarebytes anti-malware which will run in the safe mode, and a number of bootable Cd's with various anti-virus utilities. Not the problem.

Today I installed Windows 7 with service pack 1 from a USB drive on a small hard drive that I had in my junk drawer. After all the drivers had updated and all Windows updates had installed, the problem happened again. So I'm suspecting hardware, but not sure what it is. I'll know for sure tomorrow if it's memory when the new sticks arrive (overnight from Amazon.)

Configuration from Piriform's Speccy (took about 5 tries to get this as it would lock up too. Finally finished before locking up):
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer ASRock
    Model Z68 Professional Gen3 (CPUSocket)
    Version To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    Chipset Vendor Intel
    Chipset Model Sandy Bridge
    Chipset Revision 09
    Southbridge Vendor Intel
    Southbridge Model ID1C44
    Southbridge Revision 05
    System Temperature 35 °C
    BIOS
    Brand American Megatrends Inc.
    Version P1.30
    Date 08/15/2011
    Graphics
    AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
    GPU Barts
    RAM
    Memory slots
    Total memory slots 4
    Used memory slots 2
    Free memory slots 2
    Memory
    Type DDR3
    Size 8192 MBytes
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD5000ABYS-01TNA0 ATA Device
    Manufacturer Western Digital
    Optical Drives
    LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L ATA Device
    Peripherals
    Microsoft USB Digital Media Pro Keyboard (IntelliType Pro)
    HID-compliant mouse (changed out a couple of times; also tried in standard USB port vs Fatality Mouse port; same either way.)
    Device Kind Mouse
    Device Name HID-compliant mouse
    Vendor Unknown
    Location USB Input Device

Nothing else installed on the motherboard.
    I've got Corsair's liquid cooling installed on the CPU; Running fine. Temps about 97 F at idle. Nothing overclocked. Never even tried overclocking (sure they all say that, but it's true for me) other than enabling Intel's Speed Step in the BIOS. All the voltages look nominal in the BIOS hardware monitor.

Default Re: Asrock Fatality System Locking Up Under Windows 7 (64bit Ultimate)

tried disbling usb3 just to see if its that thats the cause? or just use mouse/kb in usb2 slots?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The key here maybe that you think that in safe mode the lock ups go away...

1. There is a new Hotfix from MS that might apply here "Computer stops responding when you run an application that uses the Windows Filtering Platform API in Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Vista"

Computer stops responding when you run an application that uses the Windows Filtering Platform API in Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Vista

I don't believe that this windows filtering API is loaded in Safe Mode so give this hotfix a try...

2. If that does not solve the issue then in the System Configuration Tab under General you can try a diagnostic startup that loads basic devices and services and then see if that works or do a selective startup choosing 1 of the 3 choices or a combination thereof to try and pin down what service or application might be the root of the problem...

Good Luck and please keep us in the loop

SaphireX
    ASRock™ Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 Intel™ Core i7-2600K LGA1155 Corsair™ Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH100)
    G.SKILL™ Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL (2) ASUS™ ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti in SLi
    OS Drive: Mushkin™ Chronos Deluxe 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb/s SSD(MKNSSDCR120GB-DX) Storage: 2-Western Digital™ WD2002FAEX 2TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Hard Drives
    Optical: HP™ Multiformat DVD Writer SATA Model 1260i Plextor™ Blu-ray writer PX-LB950SA Viewsonic™ V3D245 3D LED display @120hz
    PC Power and Cooling™ Silencer Mk II 950W Inwin™ DRAGON RIDER case APC™ BR1500LCD UPS 1500VA w/AVR Win7™ Ultimate 64

Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    tried disbling usb3 just to see if its that thats the cause? or just use mouse/kb in usb2 slots?
    Yes, after reading about another mouse issue, and also the recommendation not to use the Fatality mouse port, I tried a new mouse and plugged it and the keyboard alternatively into front and back panel USB 2 and USB 3 ports.

As I type this, I'm back on the machine after it 'rested' overnight. been on for about 20 minutes now and stable. But knowing how this was yesterday, I don't know how long I have. Been using my notebook to keep up to speed. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've requested the hotfix by email, thanks.

I've bypassed all the diagnostic issues by installing a new hard drive (wiped clean) and installing Windows Ultimate 64 w/ svc pack1 from scratch. After the load and install of the Asrock drivers (latest ones from their web site, and only those to make the Internet and chipset functional,) I allowed Windows to update automatically and restart several times over an hour or two. Then later that night, the system froze again with the same mouse pointer issues. That is, jumping about 1/2 second to 1 second behind the movement of the mouse, and no keyboard input being allowed.

I had not run any software to speak of other than Windows and the Asrock drivers, so I'm really leaning toward hardware issues.

I have a new set of memory due some time today via FEDEX, so I'm going to swap that out and see if the problem continues.

I've also posted the same initial complaint on the ASROCK technical request site. We'll see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by SaphireX View Post
    The key here maybe that you think that in safe mode the lock ups go away...

1. There is a new Hotfix from MS that might apply here "Computer stops responding when you run an application that uses the Windows Filtering Platform API in Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Vista"

Computer stops responding when you run an application that uses the Windows Filtering Platform API in Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Vista

I don't believe that this windows filtering API is loaded in Safe Mode so give this hotfix a try...

2. If that does not solve the issue then in the System Configuration Tab under General you can try a diagnostic startup that loads basic devices and services and then see if that works or do a selective startup choosing 1 of the 3 choices or a combination thereof to try and pin down what service or application might be the root of the problem...

Good Luck and please keep us in the loop

SaphireX

New memory arrived yesterday. I installed 8gb of 16gb ordered to keep conditions relatively the same.

Also used a new keyboard just in case somehow it was affecting the USB interupts.

System booted normally and went into Windows fine.

After about 4-5 hours of operation, the system locked up again leading me to think that this is heat related, although the case is well ventilated, and the temperature settings are very low. (I use Corsair's liquid cooling for the CPU and it's fine.)

I turned the computer off over night and rebooted this morning. Again, it went into Windows fine.

I decided to start backing up my Windows settings to a folder on network attached storage for a potential re-install on a new montherboard. I had previously tried to run Windows Easy File Transfer, but it would take over an hour to run and would lock-up before finishing.

As I'm typing this on another computer, the screen on the Asrock computer just went black and attempted to reboot. Now it's telling me that it's missing the boot partition.

I booted into the BIOS and the Advanced/Storage Configuration no longer shows my hard drive. This is a new hard drive purchased last week also, so I'm betting that the problems are now extending to other locations on the motherboard, including the SATA controllers.

I know that we're not to comment on RMA's in our threads, so I won't other to say that I reported this to Asrock Support Thursday, got their acknowledgement email, but nothing since.

I guess my next step is to go out and purchase another motherboard and if/when Asrock gets to me, get a replacement when they get around to it, as I've troubleshot this just about every way I can think of.

Sorry to hear that you are still having problems...While you are looking around for another board...

Try 1 more thing here. Remove your Radeon GPU and plug your monitor into the IGU DVI port on the board (hopefully you installed the Intel HDGraphics package if not do so) since you have a Z68 chipset and after booting into windows see if you still have problems. Since you seemed to think in Safe Mode the system ran albeit in a crippled Safe Mode state. I am thinking that maybe on the off chance that your GPU is failing and the voltages are fluctuating and affecting both the Northbridge and Southbridge your WAN network activity. Do a Clear CMOS by button or jumper after yanking the Radeon and enter the UEFI on the 1rst bootup afterward and mod any settings that you had made before then save and exit to windows...
    Again this is an longshot but some of the symptoms you describe smack of a failing GPU and at this point you have nothing to lose...

Please post back
    SaphireX
    ASRock™ Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 Intel™ Core i7-2600K LGA1155 Corsair™ Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH100)
    G.SKILL™ Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBXL (2) ASUS™ ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti in SLi
    OS Drive: Mushkin™ Chronos Deluxe 120 GB SATA 6.0 Gb/s SSD(MKNSSDCR120GB-DX) Storage: 2-Western Digital™ WD2002FAEX 2TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Hard Drives
    Optical: HP™ Multiformat DVD Writer SATA Model 1260i Plextor™ Blu-ray writer PX-LB950SA Viewsonic™ V3D245 3D LED display @120hz
    PC Power and Cooling™ Silencer Mk II 950W Inwin™ DRAGON RIDER case APC™ BR1500LCD UPS 1500VA w/AVR Win7™ Ultimate 64

Could be SATA problems,just request an rma from them and you should get a replacement board,I've dealt with asrock they have good rma service
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Quote Originally Posted by SaphireX View Post
    Sorry to hear that you are still having problems...While you are looking around for another board...

Try 1 more thing here. Remove your Radeon GPU and plug your monitor into the IGU DVI port on the board...
    Again this is an longshot but some of the symptoms you describe smack of a failing GPU and at this point you have nothing to lose...

Please post back
    SaphireX
    Ok, today was the day for full troubleshooting as you recommended. Problem still exists. Here's what I did:

1. Reset video on main computer to standard Windows 800x600 and single monitor.
    2. Removed Radeon drivers
    3. Shut down.
    4. Removed 6850 card
    5. Replaced with an Nvidia video card from a two year old computer that was gathering dust. It also had two DVI outputs so I could run both monitors.
    6. Booted and let Windows detect the new card. Once drivers loaded, rebooted and then set to view across two monitors.
    7. Downloaded latest Nvidia software drivers.
    8. Installed and rebooted.
    9. Ran Sisoft Sandra's burn-in test, 1 iteration and everything passed. Beginning to think it was the Radeon card causing the problems.
    10. Set the comptuer to run Prime95's torture test and turned my attention to testing the Radeon.
    11. Installed the Radeon in the older computer. Ran though similar setup including latest Radeon drivers, etc.
    12. Also ran Sisoft's burn-in.
    13. Started Prime95 on older computer.
    14. Left the room for about two hours.
    15. Came back and found my computer (now with Nvidia card installed) locked up again with similar jumping mouse (about 1/2 second to 3 second to repond to input) and no keyboard response. Computer's power button was set to do a Windows shut-down, but it, too, would not respond. (meanwhile, the older computer continues to perk away with no problems with the Radeon card.)
    16. Rebooted into Safe mode.
    17. Ran Prime 95 again. It ran for several minutes (as I'm typing this), but as I now test the mouse, it's again locked up and jumping. So the problem exists in the safe mode too.

At this point, It's either a heat issue with the motherboard, a power issue with the power supply (a dickens to swap out, but a possiblity) or a CPU problem (not likely, but a possiblity.) I've at least eliminated display and memory (swapped out with new memory two days ago.)

And still no response from Asrock!

do you have any card readers plugged into the mb usb header?the ones for the front panel of the case? if so try with it unplugged,similar issue with another user and it turned out to be card reader
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information